Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Thoughts on Forest of Dean today…
  • joebristol

Did an uplift day at the above today. Had fun, but it was quite difficult technically I thought. Quite a few puddles and loads of wet exposed roots. Managed not to come off though – pleased my tyres coped well. Both my mates came off several times.

Don’t think I’ll rush back as it’s not my kind of riding – I prefer fast swoopy big feature riding – like BPW.

Can’t believe how many Orange bikes were there today – it was like a demo day or something (without it being one). Clearly very popular.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Thank god its not like dull park wales.

oldtalent
    Free Member

I’m there tomorrow. Disappointed to hear it’s wet, i had hoped would have dried out by now.

mboy
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ll rush back as it’s not my kind of riding

Based on the tiniest sample, of a very small part of a very big forest, you’ve written it off already?

Ah well… One less persona clogging up the trails! 😉

russyh
    Free Member

Joe, what were you expecting if you were doing an uplift in a forest mate? There is some of the best riding to be had in the fOD you just need to know where to look. I will be there tomorrow (on an orange funnily enough) with a knackered rock razor off piste! It’s not better than BPW but completely different.

joebristol

I’m not writing it off, just it won’t be top of my list to rush back to. I think we all concluded when we go back again we need to go with someone who knows where they are going.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Understand the OPs viewpoint, I don’t think he’s writing off the Forrest, just the DH venue at the trail centre.

I’ve riden a bit of DH there, I enjoy it, it proper DH, loose rocks and roots, like Cwmcarn DH and a few other places, but the MTB world is evolving – some people want nice long smoth trails with berms, tabletops and rock gardens that are clearly laid out with a start and an end, fake? Yeah but it’s not like Sheep Skull was formed by wind and rain erosion and nothing else, I prefer BPW to FOD Uplift tracks.

russyh
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I could show you some trails that would make you think it’s the best place you have ridden in a while. But even then it would never be bike park Wales. Nor would I ever want it to be. FOD is a massive place which extends well beyond PABA and cannop

russyh
    Free Member

Thing is I see BPW as a lift assisted bike park where 90% of the trails are for trail bikes. Don’t get me wrong I like BPW, especially when it’s wet as the trails are weatherproof.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@russyh that is almost the exact brief that they built it to, they don’t consider it a “bike park” but it’s not a DH venue either, it was built with trail bikes in mind.

I go there a lot, it’s only 20 mins from my place, trial/Enduro bikes outnumber DH bikes at least 10-1 on the bus.

russyh
    Free Member

Agreed, I can’t think of many places at BPW where you would need a DH bike. But then I guess that’s true for FOD.

joebristol

I’d love to have a better go round where people knew the trails. It felt like whichever trail we went down we ended up in the same one. One trail was closed off totally and another taped off for a race tomorrow which probably didn’t help….

welshfarmer

It rained solidly last night from midnight till about 7am today. Any wonder it was a “bit wet”!

russyh
    Free Member

The race is tonight it’s the twighlight enduro. To be honest bud I wouldn’t bother with the stuff around the trail centre, unless you are there just for an uplift. It’s not much use unless you are local (ish) butbest to head over with someone that knows the place. Or get a group of you and pay for a ride with a guide.

Northwind

joebristol – Member

I’d love to have a better go round where people knew the trails. It felt like whichever trail we went down we ended up in the same one.

I love FOD dh but imo the waymarking isn’t good enough considering what a labyrinth of trails it has. Exact same problem that innerleithen has actually, though inners has a simpler hill, FOD spreads out more. But when you think of it, this is basically just criticising the place for having loads of trails in a small area, which is also what makes it great, so…

russyh – Member

Agreed, I can’t think of many places at BPW where you would need a DH bike. But then I guess that’s true for FOD.

TBF, you’d have to be completely stupid to build an uplift venue that needs or even works best on a dh bike these days, it just means slashing your market.

(it’s quite interesting I think, if you go back to the late 2000s people slagged off older DH venues for not behing full on enough, “It’s better on a trail bike” was basically an insult)

russyh
    Free Member

TBF, you’d have to be completely stupid to build an uplift venue that needs or even works best on a dh bike these days, it just means slashing your market.

That’s kind of my point, I certainly would not visit the place as often as I do if it was a DH centre. But I have to admit that the majority of the time I go to BPW i pedal up. I find it so much more rewarding riding there pedalling up.

joebristol

The way marking wasn’t great, and we hadn’t studied all the trails before we went. Seemed like we always ended up hitting the section of sheep skull where there’s a massive tree with a huge network of roots all over the trail.

There looked to be some man made flowing trails down the left hand side of the hill but we never found how to get to the top of them. And loads of jump runs that we could see, but again not easily find the start of the runs.

The guide idea would be good if there were a group of us going for sure. Although I reckon at best I’d manage about 30k in one day fitness wise right now.

Have to admit I’m pretty much mostly into trail centres as I’m time limited and it’s easy to get in, get out and get my biking fix.

takisawa2

I love FOD dh but the waymarking isn’t good enough considering what a labyrinth of trails it has.

This was my view too, & the trail maps were no help either. I ride there whenever we are camping at Whitemead, I still don’t know it that well but normally can grab a few hours decent riding.

mboy
    Free Member

Have to admit I’m pretty much mostly into trail centres as I’m time limited and it’s easy to get in, get out and get my biking fix.

Beginning to understand why you don’t get FOD…

If you’re the kind of rider that’s not prepared to put the time in exploring, and needs to follow waymarked trails all the time, then FOD isn’t going to provide you with the stimulation you require…

If however you’re prepared to go looking, the FOD (all of it, not just the immediate area from Pedalabikeaway) is probably the most rewarding network of trails the UK has to offer!

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve recently started venturing away from the ShallowVallets area and exploring more at FOD and there is a massive choice of trails of all sorts of grade. I’ve never found the wet to cause issues even off the prepared trails there. I’ve stalked t’internet and downloaded GPX files of what appear to be interesting routes and followed those-by doing so I’ve seen much more there.

BPW Wales is also great fun. More ‘open’ trails and faster than FoD.

Good to have the choice I guess.

Might be at the FoD later on today….

joebristol

I’d love to have the time to explore, but with a 13 week old baby you’ve got to make the most of the opportunities you get!

oldtalent
    Free Member

Ha even without a baby of any age, I cba to go messing around looking for trails. I want a start, a finish and a quick way to get to the top to do it all again.

Trimix
    Free Member

Im quite glad some people dont like or get the FoD.

For me its my favorite place, so Im very happy most riders dont venture far from the car park or uplift or trail centers.

FoD, nothing to see here, move on.

joebristol

Different strokes for different folks definitely. A good thing.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Well… with GPX files and a small
    Amount off effort you can explore fun stuff in the same time it’d take to do the blue/red loops which don’t really do it for me. But as mentioned above, if you’d rather stick to the beaten track that’s fine by me!

russyh
    Free Member

Just done around 16 miles at FOD off piste starting from PABA. Over to dowies and shutcastle total ride time was 3 hours including messing around with technicals, breathers and jelly baby stops. In fact we quite often start early and get home for lunch. Always happy for people to join us if they want to learn some of the routes. But like others have said I’m glad that folk CBA to explore outside of the centre as it is quiter else where that way

citybs13
    Free Member

Russyh–can I take you up on your offer, been looking to get over to shutcastle and dowies now it’s starting to dry up a bit , always out early so no probs there , my email is in my profile, thanks

milky1980
    Free Member

Then the FOD probably isn’t for you. I’ve been riding there for over a decade and am still finding new areas to explore! The trail centre is just a tiny part of what is there, including the marked DH trails. Yes, the maps are massively out of date and confusing for a first-time visitor but it is a place pretty much built by volunteers from local cheeky trails that have morphed into a waymarked centre with cafe and bike shop.
    I like a good trail centre and to get out in the wild too, the FOD is a happy medium. You can just hit the blue or the red (fantastic extension!), go explore by following your nose and tyre tracks or (what I usually do) mix the two up and have a fantastic day.

But like others have said I’m glad that folk CBA to explore outside of the centre as it is quieter else where that way.

I left the busy trail centre and managed a good solid hour following trails round Oakenhill and Cockshoot Woods without seeing a soul 😀

Can’t believe how many Orange bikes were there today – it was like a demo day or something (without it being one). Clearly very popular.

I was there Friday on my 5 😀 They’re popular there as they ride well, suit the terrain well and the ground holds onto it’s moisture well so creates loads of gloopy mud. Having only one pivot to worry about is a bonus there.

They must be doing something right there as the uplift is usually busy, the car park is always rammed (despite it being recently extended) and people keep on going back. A full mix of types too, families, DH warriors and the place always seems to be 50% female riders too.

russyh
    Free Member

No problems at all, albeit I am not likely to get over that way now for a few weeks. Off doing HONC next weekend then at Glentress for the Easter bank holiday with the boys. Maybe able to do an evening ride if you are up for it one day?

oldnpastit

Just wandering around lost I have found some amazing trails at FOD.

pnik

I’m popping over tomorrow, russyh any chance of a gpx I’ve not been to dowies for 20 years, but i guess its in the same place, if I can find my paper OS map that its marked on!

otherwise I’ll probably do verderers and freeminers again, would lie to get out into the forest though, I used to love it there.

russyh
    Free Member

Pnik you on strava. If you add me you can download my route from today’s ride?

pnik

I am spdnik2 on there.

russyh
    Free Member

Just added you mate. I rode From cannop to dowies and shutcastle and back via one of the new/updated elephant man trail

pnik

That’s great thanks, and apologies to everyone else for the thread hijack. Looking forward to it.

citybs13
    Free Member

Russ – I have pm you

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Downhill runs are hammered in the Forest now always were going to be once the uplift started and the more and more bikes went down them they are making some new ones the best stuff now is not in the Worcester lodge area where the pedalway centre is its over at Dowies/Bluebell/Shutcastle etc plus Staunton and they is Downhill runs dotty all over the Forest some Bloody crazy too.

mattbee

So, if you ride mainly trail centres due to a lack of time the FOD isn’t for you? Or you prefer something with better waymarking or flowier trails like BPW so you’re better off leaving FOD to the locals so it’s quieter for them?
    Awesome attitude there guys. Glad it’s not my local spot, I’d hate to get in your way…

siwhite
    Free Member

Russ – I’ve just followed you on Strava with a view to finding some cheeky routes. I’m staying in Tewkesbury for a week in early June while I’m on a course, if you fancy an evening ride or two…

russyh
    Free Member

Mattbee it was younger in cheek fella…I wouldn’t of offered to show people Around some of the spots I ride would I if I had a hatred for others!

Si, I live inTewkesbury so happy to ride with you. Nothing local to the town but we could head over the FOD and do some off piste stuff

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on Forest of Dean today…’ is closed to new replies.