Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Thoughts on DSLR's? Indecisive moment.
  • ilikebikes
    Free Member

I am back in the market, looking at most brands although do have a bit a Nikon loyalty..
    I have the offer of a D300 with 18-20mmVR. Does anyone have thoughts on the D90, Canon D50, Pentax K7 etc..?

IA

Try them out see what they feel like to use – it's probably the biggest difference.

I found once I picked a few up and tried them you quickly find things you like/dislike. They'll all probably not limit your photography at all from a technical standpoint, so the one you like using the best will take the best photos – if that makes sense?

mrmo
    Free Member

I know it has its limitations but in the end i got a GF1 because it could fit in my pocket.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coolhandluke
    Free Member

I stopped using my D300 when I got a Lumix LX3. It was easier to carry.

Now I've stopped using that cos I swapped my D70 and 18-50mm Sigma EX lens for a Panasonic Lumix G1.

Make sure you really will use a D300 and be prepared to lug it about.

Mine is for sale too BTW.
    Body – Mint boxed £800
    grip – mint boxed £175
    18-200VR lens – vg cond £375 boxed
    SB800 – £200 boxed
    Stealth reporter bag £75

_tom_
    Free Member

I'm not a fan of the Nikon menu system, think Canon is much more intuitive. I loved my 350D!

.duncan
    Free Member

what do you plan to use it for?

stumpy01

D300 is a semi-pro camera – do u think you'd get the most from it? Or would a D90 be 'enough'?

It's a decision based on many factors at the end of the day including: budget, features, intended use, bulk, weight, weather-proofing, brand loyalty etc…

I went for a D80 a few yrs ago after considering a Canon as well. I also debated paying more for the D200 but couldn't justify it.

For me the D80 is great – only things I perhaps 'want' are better weather-proofing & higher fps continuous shooting.

Coolhandluke – please contact me with details of your SB800 – I'm thinking of getting a flash in the next week or so. My e-mail address should be in my profile.

IA

Oh, and to echo the micro 4/3 love above, I've got a G1. It's a great balance of size, quality and easy of use. Love being able to use some old manual nikon lenses I have on it too.

adeward
    Free Member

i had a canon 350d then when the 450 came out i bought a 400d i like staying one or two models behind the new boy,,

I have taken my 350d to china for a month,, with no problems but i think the 400 is even better as the screen is bigger ,,and doesnt have the little lcd panel it's all on the screen,,

I did have a canon g5 before but love the slr format and lenses

ilikebikes
    Free Member

I started with a D70 used it a lot, then went through a bit of a dip- sold it went back to film with a G9 then LX3. The problem I have is it just doesn't satisfy me, I love film but have to think of the money every shot costs.

As for whether the D300 would be too big… dunno. My friend used to have a D2h which was like a place mat, but I liked it.

I am not a pro or even close to it by any stretch but I do aspire to take great shots.

oxnop
    Free Member

i've had lots of cameras slr's/dslr's and larger sensor PAS cameras.

I bought a panasonic G1 a few months and have not looked back. Its just been round Indonesia with me and it was perfect for traveling – cant imagine carrying a 1d or anything bigger than the G1 now.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I like pentax for their build / intuitiveness and ease of use

try before you buy – find what suits your hand size – canon also good

paul

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on DSLR's? Indecisive moment.’ is closed to new replies.