Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • thoughts on crud catcher and fender?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

got covered this morning. have a new specailized carve pro and was determined not to attach anything to frame but after this morning i need something because i hate the taste of cow muck! 😆

for sum reason my local council have agreed to let cattle roam around my local park at non peak times.

chives
    Free Member

Just re-fitted them to my Soul after a soaking last week. It doesn’t do the bike any favours in the looks department, but better than a wet arse every day..

jacob46
    Free Member

how does the crud catcher attach to the bottom tube? cable ties ?

iainc

Have a look at muckynutz. I use bender fender combined with gut fender. The latter is easier on and off than a crudcatcher, cheaper and weighs nowt.

Dibbs
    Free Member

how does the crud catcher attach to the bottom tube? cable ties ?

Rubber bands (unless your frame has Crud Catcher bosses fitted).

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Crud catcher works fine, but i’ve recently got one of the Topeak ones that attaches to your fork steerer and gives you a front section. This is better I think because it prevents crap from being thrown up into your face from the front and it steers with your forks, it also looks half decent as far as mudguards go. I also use one of those small mucky nutz fender bender just to keep the crud from being thrown up directly onto the fork stanchions. I’ve not yet found a decent solution for the rear for a full suss bike with a reverb/dropper post. Zefal do one that attaches to the suspension seat stays, but not in 29er version yet. MIght try a mucky nuts butt fender just to keep the worst of the crud off my bum.

chives
    Free Member

Wobbliscott – take a look at the Mudhugger, reckon I’ll try one next time round. I’m on a hardtail, so no such issues here, though I’ve trimmed a bit off the front end of the rear crudguard so that it mounts around the seat tube rather than on the seat post to allow the post to be dropped.

z1ppy

crud catcher needs to be used with a mucky nuts bender fender to get anything close to an proper mudguard (eg: SKS Shock board). The fender’s ok as a rear mudguard, and better ‘looking’ than most

jacob46
    Free Member

IAINC How do the rubber bands get on to bottom tube? do they join together some how?

jacob46
    Free Member

just out of interest what colour do you all reckon will suit best on my bike, black or white? dont matter if white on front or black for the back.

cheers
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/9374/specialized-carve-pro-29er-hardtail-mountain-bike-2013-sale

z1ppy

there pegs on the underside of the crud catcher that the rubber bands attach to.

lucien

Wobbliscott – take a look at the Mudhugger, reckon I’ll try one next time round. I’m on a hardtail, so no such issues here, though I’ve trimmed a bit off the front end of the rear crudguard so that it mounts around the seat tube rather than on the seat post to allow the post to be dropped.

Have just bought a set, fitted them to my winter HT, and yet to try the in anger. 1st impressions are a very robust bit of kit.

Shred
    Free Member

I use a mucky nutz and crud catcher on the down tube, plus a sks adjustable one on the rear.

I use mine year round, even in the dry, except maybe the rear.
    I’ve never understood why you would want to have a face full of crap when it’s slightly wet.

GRAEMEJONES

Just fitted one of the new Mud Hugger rear guards, not had a chance to try it out yet though. Seems a nice sturdy bit of kit, less than 5 minutes to fit with no problems. 🙂

[/url] image by santarocky, on Flickr[/img]

zippykona

As I have a commute that’s muddier than average I’m keen on mudguards.
    Fitting full mudguards to a rigid bike is not an issue but a knee injury means the Marin is now my commuter.
    Here’s my current inventions/bodges.

One half of an ugly Top Peak Defender with another bit of guard zip tied on the top of it as the original guard stops a couple of inches before the fork bridge. If I need more coverage I will put a mucky nutz on so it pokes out the front rather than rear.
    The rear has a crud and a Zefal No Mud Guard. This seems to stop a lot of the splashes up the back of my legs.
    Only tried in the rain ,no proper mud yet.
    There’s been no rattles or tyre rub so I’m happy.
    Ps there’s no way I’d put this on my nice bike!

Northwind

As above, front crudcatchers are for people who don’t really want a mudguard (and when people say “mudguards don’t work” that’s usually what they’ve tried). They are pretty hopeless. And not even any better looking than ones that work like the shockboard etc.

sgn23
    Free Member

I’ve settled on a Crudcatcher plus a Neoguard, the combination works perfectly and keeps all the crap off the front body parts and face.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘thoughts on crud catcher and fender?’ is closed to new replies.