• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by cp.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Thoughts on a front disc on a 'Crosser
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

I’m building up a carbon framed cyclo-cross frame which has a disc mount on the front fork but canti mounts on the rear. I’ve looked at fitting a cable actuated disc on the front and options are Avid BB7, TRP Spyre or TRP HYRD. Before I jump, what are opinions on these or other options? I’ve fitted many Avid calipers and found them fiddly with the 1 sided actuation and them virtually rubbing on the opposing pad to get any lever feel. Not had any experience of the TRP ones so would be keen to hear if they are any better.
    Cheers

Jamie
    Free Member

You’ll be lucky to find anyone with a TRP Spyre in stock.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve found the bb7s on my cx to be brilliant. Rubbing has been a non issue.

The spyres look a lot less bulky though it’s too soon to know how good they really are though I have heard about problems with them fouling spokes

boxelder

BB7 on the front on mine and it’s great. Rubs a bit, but at least the bike stops……

bones76
    Free Member

I also run BB7’s and they have great stopping power and also like some have said have also had issues with rubbing and have spent far too much time trying to set up correctly to avoid this..but at the moment they are running fine!!

convert

my bb7 on the rear rubs quite badly when I get out of the saddle on hills which gives me a bit of concern about the amount of flex in my frame.

Bez

I find the BB7 Roads on my CX bike don’t seem to set up quite as well (in terms of rub vs bite point tradeoff) as my various MTN versions always have. Also, the inboard adjuster wheels are absolute bastards to turn without gloves on. Having sworn by BB7s for over a decade I was a bit disappointed. They work fine and the issues aren’t showstoppers; I’d just be tempted to try others as well.

clubber
    Free Member

Also, the inboard adjuster wheels
    are absolute bastards to turn without gloves on.

You know you can use a torx key on it don’t you? Makes it a doddle.

oxym0r0n

I think part of the issue is the mountain BB7s pull a lot more cable, so you can get better clearance and more power…

Run BB7s on my Day1 SS and they are okay once fiddled with for a while but still get occasional ghost-rubbing

clubber
    Free Member

The clearance is the same road or MTB.

Maybe I’m just lucky but mine never rub.

takisawa2

Having recently gone over to BB7 mountains, I wished I’d done it years ago. 🙁

bones76
    Free Member

Bez i have to agree with all you have said there…

mattsccm
    Free Member

I think that these issues are part and parcel of only one pad moving as in all, up to now, cable discs. At least the BB7 is easy to adjust. within weeks I had the pistons out of mine for a touch of copper grease.
    Maybe the Spyre is the next step although reviews I have read suggest that its no more powerful than the BB7. I suppose it may be sweeter though.
    What ever , don’t waste you brain cells on the Tektro Lyras.

Bez

You know you can use a torx key on it don’t you? Makes it a doddle.

Yeah, but it’s an extra tool to carry and I’ve been used to the mountain versions for many years, which could be easily adjusted by hand.

clubber
    Free Member

That’s the thing. I’ve never had to adjust mine out on the trail. Maybe I really have been lucky

velomanic
    Free Member

Currently running BB7’s and they do a great job.

I’ve got a pair of TRP HY/RD’s on order so I’ll let you know if they do an even better job!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Don’t forget Shimano.
    I’ve got R505s.
    They work brilliantly. Bit of a weight penalty, but at the price I got them for, worth it! I fancy the newer versions, but they’ve been recalled for some reason.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Spyres are due in stock everywhere in the next few weeks if you’re not in a rush

birdage

My MTN BB7s seem much easier to set up and forget than the Road versions. Saying that the compressionless brake housing I got on the MTN versions seem to make a positive difference in performance.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Used BB7 for years and they are good. Changed to Spyres a month ago.

I would go for a Spyre if you are buying new. They are not any more powerful than the BB7 but are better designed and lighter. Having both pads move does make adjustment easier (not that BB7 are difficult). They have a slightly thinner so look nicer too.

Regards

Dibbs
    Free Member

I contacted Upgrade on Monday and they told me they’re expecting HyRd’s in in the next 10 days so I’ve ordered some through my LBS. Hopefully they’re right about the timescale.
    I’ve never been that keen on the single sided operation of my BB7’s.

midlifecrashes

I’ve got Shimano CX75 on the Fargo, like most other things Shimano, they just work. Seem to need every different size hex key in the box to install and adjust though, but not an issue unless adjusting mid ride, but they’re Shimano so they don’t need that often. There is a recall going on and I’m going to get some new CX77 as replacements, I don’t know the exact issue though. Something to do with ham fisted adjusting I think.

jamiep
    Free Member

MLC, did you see some CX75 have been recalled, although it seems precautionary and doesn’t appear to be a significant issue

cp

I use BB5’s. Apart from fiddly pad replacement, I find them great – rub free and powerful enough for road and CX. They’re a big lump though, I’ve not weighed them but they must be fairly weighty!

Only siginificant upgrade IME would be to a full hydraulic system… some way off!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on a front disc on a 'Crosser’ is closed to new replies.