• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Thoughts: Fox TALAS vs Vanilla or Lyrik
  • stevomcd
    Free Member

So Iona's fully sorted with a shiny new Spicy for a summer of guiding in the Alps. We're having a last-minute debate about the 36 TALAS on the front.

From a bomb-proof reliability point of view, would we be better off flogging them now while they're brand new and sticking some Vanillas or, to keep the adjustability, U-turn Lyriks on there?

nickegg
    Free Member

Fox 36 Vans Stevo…..soooo plush.

akira

Vans or Coil U-Turns would be the best bet, flog them now or it might be possible to get different internals fitted.

nickegg
    Free Member

Only downside to the Fox might be the 15hr wiper seal clean (if that applies to the 36). That would be about twice a week for you guys!!

Whereas on my Zesty it's more like once a month!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Bump for the daytime crowd!

LoCo
    Free Member

Vanilla RC2, take seals, fluids and tools to do services. Avoid the fire hose strength jetwashes!

Konastoner
    Free Member

Never tried anything but Lyriks, been faultless for me for the last 3 years. TFT worked some magic on them to make an even plusher ride. Hora has a brand new set for sale I think, cheap too.

peachos
    Free Member

thought about 2010 55's or 66's??

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Only downside to the Fox might be the 15hr wiper seal clean

[broken record]
    ^it's every ride for RS forks so I don't see why people rag Fox
    [/broken record]

I'd go with Van 36. TALAS is a great fork but the van is a mite plusher and a whole lot simpler

slowrider
    Free Member

id definitely go lyriks for performance to match the vans, plus travel adjust in case you want it, and longer service intervals. lovely forks.

nickegg
    Free Member

Freegan….I'm not 'ragging' Fox. I love their forks, having tried both Pike and Revelations, IMO Fox are superior.

I know Stevo and Iona and they'll be riding all day, 5 days a week for the whole summer so taking the lowers off every 15hrs or so is something they have to consider 🙄

I have no idea what service intervals Lyrics require as i've never owned some!

hora
    Free Member

stevomcd you already have some pretty amazing forks on the bike. Why would you sell them for a loss and buy Lyriks?

bomb-proof reliability point of view

I'm not going to answer that. I might beat the swear-filter repeatedly.

Clean the stanchions after every ride, cycle the forks then wipe. Periodically pull the lowers (easy) and clean the seals. Theres instructions in the box on how to do.

I've had two sets of Lyriks fail on me and I'm a shit and slow rider.

Or………. Buy Vans- adjust the travel to a happy medium.

I'm currently running I_ache's Fox 36 Float's set at 140mm travel and I loved them today 😀

Someones mentioned it previously on here but the damping on Fox's kills Rockshox? (unless your talking Blackbox).

stevomcd
    Free Member

Cheers for the input Hora… just looking for people's thoughts on the TALAS reliability really, so interesting to hear you've had hassles with Lyriks. I've got coil Lyriks on my bike and haven't had any problems with them, other than having to top up the oil now and then.

Anyone killed a set of TALAS 36's ?

hora
    Free Member

My first set of coil Lyriks- Moco failed and the cart locked out.

Replaced, then I couldnt feel whether the compression was actually on or not. (full lock to lock with gate fully adjusted both ways).

Then there was the 2steps (and the Pike coils). Hydrolocked springs to mind.

Personally, Stevomcd I'd run the Talas for a while and see how you go. They are classes as used anyway (as long as you don't gouge/scratch them etc).

I just think coil Lyriks are a step backwards to Talas. Slightly plusher is the only positive for the Lyriks.

juan
    Free Member

As far as I can see the talas of my lbs owner is fine in spite of weekly enduro and even the odd shuttle day. It's a 2010 with the fit cartridge though.

But if you already have a van, why would you want to change it 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts: Fox TALAS vs Vanilla or Lyrik’ is closed to new replies.