Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Thought provoking take on the strava issue
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well it slightly moved my brain hardly that though provoking as it’s about the same as all the other is Strava making us commentaries forgetting that blaming the tool is easier than blaming the person for how they think.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve read the similar articles in the past about HR monitors, and also stopwatches, so I don’t think Strava is particularly unique in this respect.
    But yes, there’s more to life than the metrics that technology provides.

molgrips
    Free Member

Waffle.

If you want to measure, compete and win, you can. If you want to enjoy the countryside, you can do that too. It’s nothing to do with Strava.

If you lose sight of what you love simply because of a phone app, then you need to have a word with yourself.

clubber
    Free Member

Man trains. Man doesn’t look at scenery.

Er…. hardly a revelation, is it?

If you lose sight of what you love simply because of a phone app, then you need to have a word with yourself.

exactly.

baby
    Free Member

Sounds a lot like YouPrawn.

Dolcered

I’ve really been enjoying using strava. I’m not competitive, no interest in racing or anything like that. It’s been useful to see where I rank and where I need to improve. More than anything, I like having a record of all the miles I’ve done.

legend
    Free Member

I’m not competitive, no interest in racing or anything like that. It’s been useful to see where I rank and where I need to improve

erm……. it sounds like you are both of those things

DezB
    Free Member

I signed up for Strava to check out a route.
    The NEXT DAY my ankle got hacked in football and I can’t ride.
    Can I blame Strava?

core

Dolcered – Member
    I’m not competitive, no interest in racing or anything like that. It’s been useful to see where I rank and where I need to improve. More than anything, I like having a record of all the miles I’ve done

If you’re not competitive, or racing, why do you ‘need’ to improve?

Checking your ranking is racing (albeit in a solo fashion), which by it’s very nature is competitive.

DezB
    Free Member

Things are more enjoyable when you’re better at them. Bleedin’ obvious that.

Dolcered

erm……. it sounds like you are both of those things

Does it? maybe its the monster within! Only with myself I think.

Still would never turn up at a race though. If i was being competitive, I’d lose the backpack, the pump,…………might try that next week 🙂

I’m coming back from labyrinthitis, good to see some sort of fitness coming back, and have a record of it. Otherwise i’d always assume i was garbage.

nedrapier

if I was learning to draw, being able to look back at stuff I’d done over the last 2 years and see how I’d improved would be satisfying.

Would that make me competitive or some sort of drawing racer?

molgrips
    Free Member

MTBing is more fun when you’re fit and strong, even if you don’t race.

samcheese
    Free Member

Stop and do some yoga? Bloody Nora.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I took my phone out on a ride once, and someone called me, I didn’t answer it as I was enjoying my ride.

+1 molgrips – any activity is enjoyable if your body is “coping” rather than surviving/enduring.

prawny

The reason I don’t stop and take in the view when I’m out on a ride is because I have to get back for the wife and kids.

Therefore, families suck the joy out of cycling. They should be banned.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I also now use my GoPro while stravering so I can look at the view after with my stats superimposed over the top with a box of kleenexbeer

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Thought provoking take on the strava issue’ is closed to new replies.