Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Thought i'd share my road bike. 3500miles so far. planning on 8000 annualy
  • Janesy
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted one, Built this up at Xmas 2012 and have done 3500miles since new year.

Custom Van Nicholas Zephyr.

I had an impact in to the back of a van 2 weeks ago, I had to replace the wheels with Fulcrum Racing 1’s (which are awesome) and replaced the Hope seat clamp which cracked…. with a Van Nic ti clamp.

Now to save up and get a ti mountain bike. Tuareg looks tasty.
    Anyway, what do you think?

Riding up Sa Calobra Mallorca

A the Top of Sa Calobra.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You need to put some weight on you skinny git.

franksinatra

You need to get strimmer to work on that long grass. Fence in great condition though

brack
    Free Member

Not really have you seen that bottom panel !!???

brack
    Free Member

Oh and the decking stain wasn’t put on in sufficient quantity to bleed down the side sections !

Shoddy !

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And there was me happy with my mileage this year 🙁

brack
    Free Member

Yeah but I bet your brush stroke skills are far superior ?

takisawa2

If I looked as good as you, I’d post a simmillar vision of my phalucity.
    Bike is nice, oh yes.

benji
    Free Member

Looks fantastic, how does it ride? Compliant and quick is my guess.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks quite nice apart from the seatpost and the big spacer stack – get rid of them!

Janesy
    Free Member

Shoddy work indeed about the fence and decking. Will try harder next time.
    What’s wrong with seatpost? I’ve been experimenting with the stack height, it could potentially go lower.

And it’s super fast and very stable. Only slight issue is because its a very ‘compact fit’ there is some toe over lap.
    But perfect other then that.

slackalice
    Free Member

To be perfectly honest, the bike is lovely.

I do know very little about road bikes, so ill go with the flow on the wheels n shit. What i do know is that It possibly weighs just shy of bugger all. So on that basis it probably becomes lovelier each time it’s ridden.

Yup, I’d give it a go up that hill too. Not sure I’d do the Lycra though. Too much information, for me. I’m sure someone else has had their day improved yet further at that image.

FuzzyWuzzy

Ignore davidtaylforth – the seatpost looks great on that, nice bike and I’m not usually a fan of the Ti look.

qwerty
    Free Member

That’s nice. Do you ride it much?

rOcKeTdOg

I hate the seat stays half way down the seat tube design & Ti always looks skinny & flexy on a road bike, other than that, ace

samuri
    Free Member

That’s nice. Do you ride it much?

Doesn’t look like it. He’s only done 3500 miles so far this year. He really needs to get with the program if he wants us to consider him a serious road cyclist.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice build that.

Snapped clamp? Is that what bent the seat post? 🙂

loughor
    Free Member

Janesy, take this as a snivelling apology, i didn’t mean to be rude in the first instance (on another thread).
    Lovely looking bike, couldn’t live with that mileage! Enjoy !

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looks comfortable to me that.

Of course you should slam the stem and get some proper climbing wheels and a set of 40mm rims for the flat stuff.

But overall, you look like you are having masses of fun on it and visiting some excellent places.

Me likeee, me likeeee a lot.

Proper that.

will
    Free Member

Very nice indeed! Agree that a nice set of 40mm/30mm carbon rims would make it look even better.

Good mileage too.

timb34
    Free Member

I don’t usually like the look of Ti bikes, but the thin seatstays and Ti seatpost make that look very nice indeed.

The stack of spacers does hurt the aesthetic a bit, but the saddle to bar drop looks pretty big so I guess it’s just a smallish frame (I’d have taken the photos with the valves at the top too – that way the wheel and tyre lettering would be the right way up!)

What are the chainrings?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What’s wrong with seatpost?

I just think it looks a bit shit with that daft little bend in it and the fact it’s the same colour as the frame rather than the stem.

And yeh, definitely get rid of some stem spacers, it’ll be worth it just to make your bike look good in pictures!

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s a fair point on the sizing though – if you bought that new from a shop then they sold you the wrong size frame. You’re using a layback seatpost and need a stack of spacers and mention toe-overlap, did you not think you might need the size up? Toe-overlap in itself isn’t a big deal though and a lot of standard/race geometry bikes will have it, just be careful if doing a slow-speed u-turn in the road :p

Janesy
    Free Member

Chainrings are Rotor Qrings OCP3 to fit the Ultegra chainset.

I was thinking about http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=82305

3T carbon post, but the ti is nice and for the sake of some people not liking it, I’m not going to change.

Davidtaylforth – Can you post yours so I can critique?

Janesy
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy,

I like the compact style of frame geometry , and 3500 miles and counting… I don’t think its the wrong size. Most road seatposts are layback! this one is just a different style.

Junkyard
    Free Member

mate it looks nice an if it is comfy I would not care about how well it photographs…then again i have ergo grips with bar ends on riser bars so what would i know about “fashion”

eyerideit
    Free Member

8000 miles! How come you get to ride so much?

Do you work, are you single, are you independently wealthy, do you have other commitments?

It’s serious question and in no way romantically inclined.

will
    Free Member

8000 miles is only 22 miles a day.

eyerideit
    Free Member

8000 miles is only 22 miles a day.

since you put it like that.

OP, 8000miles is that all?

will
    Free Member

😆 That’s better.

I just always thing when you break down total distances into miles per day it seem much more feasible. Anyway, back on topic.

Jase
    Free Member

Not particularly a fan of Ti road bikes but if I had one I’d like it to look like that – very nice.

samuri
    Free Member

I just always thing when you break down total distances into miles per day it seem much more feasible.

until you have a day off or have bottom problems and then you have to ride 44 miles one day or 66 miles another. Now it stops sounding so easy. 😉

will
    Free Member

Well, can’t have a day off then can you 😉

TiRed

All Ti bikes are lovely (see username), but that is a lot of seatpost showing with a very fetching integrated seat post look. I think you need to go up a size for a proper fit on what is not a particularly compact frame. And it needs some aero wheels. Aero wheels and skinny tubes is a really great look – and makes you ride faster.

I miss my Merlin 😥

Janesy
    Free Member

Do you work, are you single, are you independently wealthy, do you have other commitments?

It’s serious question and in no way romantically inclined.

Married & a 6 month boy. No commuting either – 5 rides a week.

Wife is very understanding! and My job is quite flexible. – IT consultant. <- HAH obviously aren’t most people on here?

Went out today for 50 miles but working for an hour tonight. I do it because Im training for races, Do Crit racing and endurance mtb races. Ive got Bonty 24/12 booked and Torq 1212. Mind you I’m never very good at the Crit races.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Janesy – Member
    FuzzyWuzzy,

I like the compact style of frame geometry , and 3500 miles and counting… I don’t think its the wrong size. Most road seatposts are layback! this one is just a different style.

Exactly! Most bikes use a layback seatpost. You need them to take the weight off your arms/hands/ With an inline post you’re all hunched up, it feels awkward!

Also, 8000 miles – if you’re fairly into road cycling, thats the sort of mileage you tend to do on an annual basis. About 150miles per week, its not a great deal if you think about it. I think I recall Radoggair (I think) posting his annual mileage last year – 13000!

Here you go, flame away! Its steel to start with, and the head tube is dead long. I’m going to get slaughtered!

Janesy
    Free Member

No flame from me, as my brother always reminds me, ‘steel is real’

But your garden wall is shocking! 😉

muddyfool

Also, 8000 miles – if you’re fairly into road cycling, thats the sort of mileage you tend to do on an annual basis. About 150miles per week, its not a great deal if you think about it. I think I recall Radoggair (I think) posting his annual mileage last year – 13000!

That really puts Tommy Godwin into perspective though. 75,000 miles in a year on a bike weighing the same as a modern full suss. During WW2…

Not knocking the OP though, that’s a lovely looking bike and far more miles than i’ve done on my motorbike since New Year. I do wish people would stop posting road bikes on here, I’ve spent too much on the other bikes recently!

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I do around the same annual mileage and heading for slightly higher this year a 20 mile each way commute helps get that total up, which I do because I love and don’t have to do it at all. Also ride at weekends, up early and home before the family are up, in summer anyway. So for me 250 mile weeks are common.

landcruiser
    Free Member

I like the bike…… I like it a lot !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Thought i'd share my road bike. 3500miles so far. planning on 8000 annualy’ is closed to new replies.