Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • thought I'd introduce myself
  • niallmb
    Free Member

so….. I've been loitering around these parts for a couple of months now and have made the odd post but thought I'd properly introduce myself to all you lovely folks

My names Niall and I'm an Alch.. (sorry wrong meeting)
    I used to ride loads when I lived in Scotland but then have had several years off the bike due to a stupidly hectic lifestyle and living in cities.

I've recently decided that I'd like to be the shape of a human again rather than a sphere so have started to lose weight (1.5 stone so far) and get back out on the bike and if I'm honest I'm becoming addicted all over again.

I'm currently riding my old bike (specialized Hardrock A1 FS Comp from, I think, 2000) and have recently upgraded a few bits and bobs, handlebars, stem, saddle etc. but am promising myself that when I hit my target weight, I can have a new bike.

I do have a couple of questions for the collective wisdom of STW, the bigest of which is: is it possible to fit discs to a frame that didn't know they existed when it was built? Some sort of adapter or something? I'm just finding that my mass has more momentum than my V brakes would like to stop!

anyhoo, you'll probably start seeing me posting on loads of stuff but I though it would be polite to say Hi

niallmb
    Free Member

thought I'd show you my bike but before you all tell me, I know the forks are crap and need an upgrade, its next on the shopping list!!!

edit: can anyone enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong with the image link? link is http://www.flickr.com/photos/46689898@N04/4629165554/

pearlbaz
    Free Member

Welcome to the hotbed that is stw.
    Your bike, being alloy, will probably take one of these: http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/118257.html

About the pic-the server doesn't like old bikes…stick it on Retrobike.

…only joking 🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

Afternoon.

How about when you buy a new fork you attach a mechanical disk brake to that? Otherwise your brakes alone will be worth more than the rest of your bike. Stick with the v brakes on the back.

HTH

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

where are you based now?

There are fairly regular group rides arranged on STW which are a good way to meet people of all levels of fitness.

niallmb
    Free Member

headfirst – yeah, brakes would be worth more than the bike, that said, my current plan is to only stick stuff on the specialized that I can move to a new frame when I am allowed to buy one (target weight etc.). Being a fairly hands on kind of person I fancy building my next bike myself so I don't mind starting to buy parts now so long as they can be transferred

pearlbaz, that looks spot on, thanks. Even better given AT cycles is my LBS!!

niallmb
    Free Member

Based in sunny bradford (well sunny for today anyway!). suspect I'd just be holding everyone up at the ,moment but give me 2-3 months and it would be good to get out riding socially

pearlbaz
    Free Member

Niall…stick an ad on the Classifieds, someone may have done the same thing you intend to…and may be willing to pass the item over second hand. Then you can do the same when your time comes to move up.
    Baz

niallmb
    Free Member

sounds like a plan baz, just need to wait for cashflow to be in my favour!! the joys of being self employed!!

zaskar
    Free Member

If he sticks to the bike forum he might survive… 😆

Take the chat forum with a pinch of salt and laugh at it/people

crispybacon
    Free Member

naillmb here is your pride & joy in all it's glory on STW 😆

The picture link details are below but without the space before the second bracket & after the third bracket

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3369/4629165554_0460f15cab.jpg%5B /img]

Harry_the_Spider

The following events are compulsory for new people.

http://www.bigbikebash.co.uk/

Index

😀

niallmb
    Free Member

thanks for the image advice, although to call it my pride and joy would indicate fairly low standards on my behalf!!!

as for the compulsory events, you lost me at the word camping! If there's no wifi it ain't for me is unfortunately my rule on these things

Harry_the_Spider

Hit the North has wifi.

We'll see you on July 17th.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

but am promising myself that when I hit my target weight, I can have a new bike.

Orange 5… :mrgreen:

meehaja
    Free Member

Ha! you live in Bradford! I know how that feels! Give me a shout if you fancy going for a ride sometime, I'm overweight and slow and ride with no gears (cos i like to handicap myself!)

niallmb
    Free Member

sounds like my level meehaja!!! are you bradford aswell??

and re hit the north having wifi, my actual excuse for that one is I'm away on tour from the 6th july till the 28th

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Thanks harry – i was going to mention the big Bike bash but i am a bit shy and don't really like to talk about the work i do for Charity

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘thought I'd introduce myself’ is closed to new replies.