Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Thought I'd go for a loop round Ladybower this afternoon
  • chambord
    Free Member

Utd playing, City vs Chelsea on in a couple of hours and ladyfriend doing her school work so I thought I’d do 30km round Ladybower like anyone with a few spare hours might…

But then I arrive in the car to long queues of traffic, people frantically pulling over on the verge and lots of cyclists flying past. So I pulled up, whipped the bike out and headed to the reservoir to be greeted by this sight:

It was incredible. First a Spitfire and Hurricane flew over and then 2 Lancaster bombers. The noise was like nothing I have ever heard and made the hairs stand up on my arms. I can’t imagine what a sky full of these things must have sounded like.

Really glad to have seen it, hope others on here were also as fortunate (There must have been thousands there so there must have been others from this parish knocking about!)

matt_outandabout

Ace innit? We saw one a few years back there – great sight.

scandalous
    Free Member

Truely amazing. Was so close on that third pass when they came in much lower.

You are right, a sky full of those would have been a sight to behold!!

GregMay
    Free Member

Managed to get caught in the traffic on the way home from Stanage. I hate everything at the moment. 3 flipping hours for an normal hour drive.

I have beer, things are improving.

We saw them from the crag by accident also.

Houns

I’m just back home from going up, We were stuck in the traffic at Ladybower when the Spitfire and Hurricane went over us. We eventually made it along the snake pass and parked up. Legged it up Hagg farm as the helicopter flew over us. Made a decision to turn right and go along Hagg Side, dived through the trees and found a clearing which enabled us to see the dam and 3 fly overs, which was lucky! Got some rubbish pix that I’ll post tomorrow

Traffic was dire, much worse than the fly past last year (however I remembered that was midweek ) we ended up heading towards Glossop then coming back on ourselves to head to Buxton and on to home. I’m worn out now

6hours
    Free Member

Had a superb afternoon at Ladybower, took the petrol powered 2 wheeler to get through the traffic, so didn’t really suffer the queues too much.

Great to see the Spitfire and Hurricane do 2 low level passes, then the main event – 2 Lancasters, the sound of 8 Merlins, 3 times along the valley and over our heads, what an experience!

It was a pleasant taste of history for those of us there on this sunny day, but a far cry from the terrible work they had to be built for.

My Dad told me about watching and hearing them when he was a lad, going out night after night, engines working hard as they circled to gain altitude with their heavy bomb loads, gathering in ever increasing numbers from the many airfields surrounding his Lincolnshire home before disappearing into the night.

Today was a day for us to enjoy and to remember those who flew these great aircraft and did what they had to do.

chipster

There were 4 of us rode over Cutgate from Flouch, avoiding the queues.
    Great ride, great planes.

jools182
    Free Member

I just saw this on Facebook

Had no idea that they were flying over today, I did hear about them flying over Holmfirth a few weeks ago

Where are these things advertised?

I’ve missed loads of WW1stuff this year as well. First I usually hear about it is when pics are published or they show something on the news

Looked great, I’d have been there too if I wasn’t living under a rock

Great pic as well. I like how they are both banking at different angles, looks like a proper practice exercise

slowoldman

Singletrack Forum. Well that’s where I found out about today.
    A nice ride over Lockerbrook then down to the reservoir to watch. Oh and battling through the crowds to get out again.

jeffl

Gutted. Down south this weekend so wouldn’t have been able to see it but like jools182 had no idea it was on 🙁 Where was it advertised?

Edit: Too slow

chipster

Yep, I saw it on the back end of Hora’s PSA.

richpips
    Free Member

Rode over from Hayfield with my boy via Cut Gate to see the planes.

Great day out.

DPM

Parked in Hope – rode Roman Road, Lockerbrook and then climbed up towards Winstone Lee Tor and found a great spot overlooking the reservoir. Some really bad photos and vids taken in the 1st two flyovers. On third flyover just stood and watched which was by far the best/lowest/noisiest. Then sat and watched the traffic/people chaos before biking down WLT and finished with a quick loop of Win Hill at sunset. Awesome Sunday ride out.

That well know tourist advice centre 18bikes FB page kept us up to date with timings and events!

globalti
    Free Member

Was out on the roadie with Gti Junior when the two Lancs came over from the south and did a nice gentle turn right above us round the easterly end of Longridge Fell then headed out towards the Fylde for Southport air show. Great noise.

Clink

They flew over the Big Bike Bash this year – just before the start of a race. Quite low so fabulous sight(and well done to WCA for organising 😉 )

P20

I saw Thumper and Vera over Windemere, awesome sight. I’m jealous about the multiple flypasts though

ebygomm
    Free Member

They only announced the Derwent flypast last week, so there wasn’t much notice.

trambler

Cracking day, rode up from home met family up there, fly pasts were stunning, little bit of traffic congestion (by Southport standards), followed by dinner in the pub, perfect.

iain1775
    Free Member

My pics from Derwent are on the Southport air show thread here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/southport-air-show/page/2#post-6330458

Cycling in from Bamford and lugging your bike through the shrubbery up to the top of the steep hill overlooking the dam is hard work the day after doing the Hope Peak Challenge long route!

molgrips
    Free Member

You are right, a sky full of those would have been a sight to behold!!

Especially emptying bombs all over your home town.. spare a thought for those that were lost.

crazy-legs

Well I heard about it from a couple I was talking to at the Southport Airshow the previous day but it was on the BBC website (if you searched for it!) and I posted the info on this thread:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/southport-air-show

It was on Twitter too.

nbt
    jools182
    Free Member

The RAF site didn’t even have it listed, it just shows the Southport Air Show for yesterday

nbt
    PeteW

It was fabulous to see them fly over the dam, and to see how agile they were flying together and going down the valley too.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p4pYni]img_0001_04[/url] on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p4pJAb]img_0001_02[/url] on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p4p1zt]img_0001_01[/url] on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p4pg8h]img_0001[/url] on Flickr

JulianA
    Free Member

Would love to have seen them!

Drove past the Mohnesee on Saturday afternoon – very peaceful now but not on 16th/17th May 1943…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Should I mention that as well as seeing them fly, we actually got close enough to touch them both on the tarmac at Blackpool Airport? 😀

rogerthecat
    Free Member

OP we must have been about 10 yards to your left!

Took Biggles and Mum up to see the Hurricane as he flew one, and then the Lancs.
    Parked at the bottom of the Dam wall and pushed Mum’s wheelchair up the hill, nearly killed me!

Also, said hello to Adjustablewench at the bottom of the lane as she turned up the hill with her lads – don’t think she recognised me in civvies and with the ‘Olds’.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Thought I'd go for a loop round Ladybower this afternoon’ is closed to new replies.