Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • those there inbred carbon 456..
  • MartynS

Very tempted… should I??

The unstickered ones are £299 which looks like a good deal.

Or is it the summer season 456 at £149??

talk me into/out of it.

40mpg

Couple of friends have them, both very experienced cyclists, one with a lot of alpine/dh experience, and really rate them. For that sort of money you really cant go wrong witha carbon 456.

Northwind

I like mine. Not perfect, but good. Quite a lot better than the steel ones.

frazchops
    Free Member

I’ve got a medium carbon 456 I’m selling for £200 posted if you’re interested? Only selling to buy something with wagon wheels 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve had a 456SS for 3 years but just changed the frame over for a same size £299 raw frame Carbon 456. I always found the Summer Season not particularly comfortable to ride and I didn’t particularly savour lugging the weight around in my not so fit state, just for the odd downhill bits. I’ve only had a few spins on the Carbon 456, but already much prefering it’s light weight and softer ride, might be new bike syndrome tho. You can slacken the HA on the carbon with a fancy headset if you want to achieve something like the SS HA

Liftman

Frazchops any pics of the frame, maybe interested in this

frazchops
    Free Member

email me your number and I’ll send some from my mobile,
    fraser dot glass at gmail dot com

MartynS

fraz..

for £99 more I get a brand newie.. if yours is light use and basically immaculate with no scuffs or chainsuck i’m interested!!

Send me some photos if you’d be so kind

muckytee
    Free Member

If I hadn’t got a new bike recently, I would get one with a 140mm air fork in a heart beat. I think it ain’t too pretty especially the headtube.

But as a bike on paper it ticks all the boxes, slack head angle and takes up to 160mm for going down, but also very light to get back to the top for another run.

Just seems like the perfect bike, set fire to the flats, blast up the hills, and bomb down the downhills – all year round, all day – no gunked up suspension, no rust and not as harsh as AL.

frazchops
    Free Member

pictures sent!

forge197
    Free Member

I am enjoying my C456 it’s a lot of fun and fast. Really pleased with it, far better than I ever imagined it would be, stiff but comfortable at the same time, 2yr warranty too all for £299 what’s not to like.

Mugboo

BAnana

How would you know about the steel one, you only rode it once a year 😉

daveh
    Free Member

Just built one up, an initial raz suggested we’ll get on just fine (old bike was a Marin Rocky Ridge), proper ride yet to come.

chakaping
    Free Member

talk me into/out of it.

Get one, they are great.

Short stem and wide bars for handling, carbon post for comfort and 140/150mm bolt-through fork suits it well.

hora
    Free Member

Why the need for a carbon seatpost?! Shirley the huge bit of carbon below it will do the job? 😆

Any frame failures yet or big dings/crash damage?

chakaping
    Free Member

Why the need for a carbon seatpost?! Shirley the huge bit of carbon below it will do the job?

It has moments of harshness with an alu post, but it’s super-comfy with a carbon one.

Are you still umming and ahhing abotu buying one Hora? Just do it already.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I hate you all for this – i am sorely tempted now!! With the £300 one how much would a headset and front mech be?

HermanShake
    Free Member

If I crashed less I’d totally have one and build up a weeniemobile.

Not like this sort of weeniemobile:

jambon
    Free Member

They’re great – rather than having a 6″ susser and an XC bike I’ve downsized to just the c456.

Light, comfy, great angles and uber fun to ride.

I reckon it’s slack enough without a works components headset.

On-one do the Smothie Mix Taper which I’ve had no problems with but many prefer the Hope Mix’n’Match way to go – only a tenner between them.

Front mech is very standard – the SLX one from my Reign fits perfectly.

Seat tube is quite relaxed so an in-line post for tall riders.

And, there’s not that much difference in the reach between the 16″, 18″ and 20″.

I’m running 120-160mm Wotans. Gnarrrr!

hora
    Free Member

Which cup size do I need for the Hopes? 1 1/8

brant
    Free Member

I reckon it’s slack enough without a works components headset.

The Slackset drops the front end, lowers the BB, steepens the seat angle and slackens the head angle. It’s ace 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Having always owned CK headsets (ok spoilt abit) I personally feel the WC’s are abit ‘cheap’. Same as a Pig headset but very pricey (for what they are).

Of course you can argue they are definitely function over form. For 70notes though I expected at least ‘hope’ headset quality.

hora
    Free Member

How do you avoid the chainsuck? Obviously carbon doesn’t like damage and I’ve seen a few now with this

chrisdw
    Free Member

How do so many people end up with chain suck? I have never had a single problem with it. Don’t even know how it happens?

Northwind

hora – Member

How do you avoid the chainsuck?

I don’t- I’m just not precious about it. According to On One there’s plenty of redundancy built in there (unlike some steel On Ones of times past 😉 )

hora – Member
    For 70notes though I expected at least ‘hope’ headset quality.

Bit unrealistic don’t you think? Hope have economies of scale that Works can’t dream of. You know how many headsets they’d sold in my size when I got mine? Three!

The bearings are Cane Creek (or were… Not sure if they still are) and if you want increased Hope-ness, the Hope bearings are compatible. Though, twice as expensive as the CC ones and not any better.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

BAnana

How would you know about the steel one, you only rode it once a year
    Dam, rumbled. I did ride it to work for a while, the canal towpath between Bingley and Skipton is pretty hardcore rad in places. Or, it just goes to show that there was always something else, nicer, lighter and/or comfier. I’m pretty certain the Carbon will get more use.

With regards the headset, I plumbed for the On One Smoothie for the time being as it was reduced to £25 a couple of weeks ago. I might consider a slack headset in the future, but not that arsed about it at the mo.

One thing that I’m having a bit of trouble with, despite having a Blackspire Stinger fitted, it’s still bloody noisy with chain slap on the stay on any fast rough descents.

hora
    Free Member

Economies of scale = a very very good point. My brain skipped that part.

Northwind

Still… I would say that the Works ones could do with a better bottom seal… Sometimes thought of getting a Hope crownrace, should be compatible and has that big rubber seal on.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘those there inbred carbon 456..’ is closed to new replies.