Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Those Supersonic innertubes
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Are they too fragile? I had the MTB ones with some Supersonic Speed Kings and I picked up multiple punctures back and front in one outing.

I need some new ones for road racing only.

On another note the ones I have, have removable valves. Okay but every time I undo them to put air in, the valve comes undone and not the little locky bit. Thinking could I put some sort of sealant in them and lob’em on my trainer?

orangeboy
    Free Member

I gave up with super sonic tubes on my road bike
    Never tried the mtb ones though or had any problems with the valves

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’ve used supersonic tubes on my roadbike for about 4 years. Not had a puncture and no problems. I do talc my tyres though and I’m only 65kg so that may help.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Why not latex?

aracer
    Free Member

I use Michelin Ultralight tubes on my road bike – a lot more reliable than Supersonic ones, and not really all that much heavier (FWIW they’re on a 6.6kg bike – if yours is heavier, then why bother trying to save a handful of grams?)

Completely pointless on a MTB given the availability of tubeless – I tried such tubes the year before I switched to tubeless and had loads of punctures. The tubeless conversion saved weight compared to them.

Why not latex?

Personally because I CBA pumping my tyres all the time and I also do rides long enough that the increased rolling resistance due to air loss is significant enough to outweigh any benefits.

TiRed

Had some problems starting out, but have them in both road bikes and so far have had one pinch flat and one puncture this year.

I carry one as a spare as it is so small, and two on long trips. Don’t ask to borrow one if you flat 😉 (Son 1 carries a cheap schwalbe too).

I think my original problems may have been wheel rim related. No issues with rim tape-less mavic kysrium elites.

And why add sealant? you’ll be making them a standard 100g inner tube then. I tighten the valves with a set of pliers.

Northwind

No problems with mine, in Pro 3s if that’s of any relevance.

oldgit
    Free Member

Cheers, just trying to judge how reliable they are. As I said they’re for racing only, this wheelset never see’s normal use.

And these things I have with the removable cores might be more serviceable on the trainer if filled with sealant?

That said my wheelset is tubeless specific, time to see what’s new tyre wise.

Jase
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting tubeless tyres Carl, probably gonn agive the Schwalbe ZX ones a go.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have got Conti Supersonics on the big bike. No probs with punctures or leakage very good tubes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use them. Can’t say I get any more punctures than normal with them. If there are they’re still only once every 1000miles or so. I once did a whole summer commuting with them and only got 3.

They do go down though. Not as bad as latex, but you do need to top them up every 48hours or so.

I’ve not tried tubeless, but it it heavier so the difference is purely down to rolling resistance. My fear is when a tubeless tyre doesn’t seal it’ll be full of thorns, so a tube is useless. On an MTB that’s not a problem as you’re rarely more than a couple of hours walk from the car, road bike could concievably be 2 days walk!

cp

but you do need to top them up every 48hours or so.

Mine will happily go for a few weeks before they need a top up – and they’ve only lost 5-10psi in that time (road tubes at about 110psi)

great tubes, only ever punctured once – on some glass which would have done any tube.

boblo
    Free Member

I use Supersonics and the Maxxis equivalent on the road bike. No issues at all.

njee20
    Free Member

I like the Spesh Turbo tubes, slightly heavier than the Contis, but significantly cheaper and don’t feel as fragile, come in a nice little bag and are pre-talced.

The Contis were fine, I did get punctures in mine eventually, but didn’t notice them to be any more fragile than a normal tube.

TiRed

That said my wheelset is tubeless specific

Schwalbe Ultremo tubeless? I’m thinking of a set once I’ve worn down the stock Giant tyres.

white91
    Free Member

How do these hold up for MTB? Seems the best value weight shaving possible?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Never tried them on the MTB, but ghetto tubeless is practicaly the same weight (85-100g tube Vs 50g of sealent + 20g of electrical tape, and 5g valve?) and more reliable. I’ve never known anyone run them and not complain about punctures.

granny_ring

Are these the £40 odd inner tubes?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No thats eclipse, supersonic are continentals lightweight butyl tube

d45yth
    Free Member

I didn’t know folk were still using tubes, how novel. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Those Supersonic innertubes’ is closed to new replies.