Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Those studying for a second degree…
  • mikey74
    Free Member

How do you fund yours? I’m not interested in hearing from those whose companies are paying for them or they’ve received a windfall from somewhere.

I’m currently studying a Cert. Higher Education in Geology but I am now quite keen on upgrading to the BSc, but that is another £19k.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I sold my flat. This was back in 2002 though and I was still single with no dependents. The total cost was about £35k for fees and living expenses for 18 months.

Caher

evening job during the week and worked on building sites at weekends.

nickjb
    Free Member

I had a little bit of sponsorship money, can’t remember who from. The college had a list of possible people to tap up. There was quite a bit out there especially if you fall into some kind of niche. The women on my course had about 4 bursaries each. Shortfall was made up by working in the holidays. In retrospect this wasn’t a great plan as it impacted on my project work quite heavily. Not sure what plan B would’ve been though, maybe debt

mikey74
    Free Member

I am single, with no dependants. I working full time with study being in the evenings.

The thing is I could probably afford to pay for it by breaking it down into monthly increments but it would leave me with no float in my monthly cash flow, which I prefer to have.

dmorts

Career Development Loan? I used that for my masters degree

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ll have a look into the CDLs, thanks.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

OU. 360 credits needed with credits being around £500 for 30, so likely to be around £6k. f/t employment, study evenings and one weekend away a month for “catch up sessions” whether I need them or not. That said what would be a 3 year course full time is likely to be 6 or 7 assuming no breaks.

cokie

Work at a University..
    Once you pass probation most will let you do the full degree for free. It’s up to you to make it work though timing wise. I’m about to start another MSc 🙂

cokie

Not entirely sure a CDL would be suitable. They are aimed at Masters students- hence why they only go up to £10,000. Anyway, the CDL is a con as they are given on a 9.9% interest! Yes, you get one year interest free, but after that you get shafted. You’re better off taking a loan at 3.5% from M&S from £7,500-15,000 and picking your repayment plan. Much better value and more flexible.

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s a good point cokie. The loan I currently have is at 3%, or thereabouts.

Maybe time for a meeting with my bank manager.

v8ninety

£19k for a BSc? **** me! That’s going to need to really increase earning potential to make it worthwhile 😯

cokie

More than that v8ninety… Looking at more like £9,000 fees and £6,000 living- £15,000 per year, or £45,000 for the degree for an average student 😯 !

br
    Free Member

More than that v8ninety… Looking at more like £9,000 fees and £6,000 living- £15,000 per year, or £45,000 for the degree for an average student !

Sorry, but talking as someone without a degree, what is the benefit of getting a second one?

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s actually £27K: I was referring to the cost over and above what the course I am currently on costs.

It’s not all about earning potential.

v8ninety

It’s not all about earning potential.

Fair enough, I just couldn’t justify spending that sort of money (let alone the time) without the hope of seeing a net result at the end of it. (Other than knowing more than most about rocks, that is 😉 )

SaxonRider

I self-funded by working while doing my PhD. It was extremely difficult at times, but I enjoyed the material enough that it kept me entertained and invigorated in a measure equal to, or greater than, the other things I might have been doing during my down-time instead.

So, while I had no time for TV or films, or anything like that, the research was a worthy substitute.

chewkw
    Free Member

OP,

At your age, unless it is really necessary or if you have no other choices, then I guess you can always take out a loan …

No sure what is the benefit of having a second one to be honest.

Otherwise, it’s a risk …

mikey74
    Free Member

The point is chew that I don’t want to be doing what I do now for the rest of my life.

br
    Free Member

The point is chew that I don’t want to be doing what I do now for the rest of my life.

Ok, but many jobs/careers are available that mean you don’t have to spend loads to get into them.

What is it you do that you hate so much?

cokie

..and many jobs/careers do require you to have a specific degree to even be eligible. Particularly Geology, which can lead into OG Exploration, Mining Engineering, etc. You wouldn’t even be able to submit an application for most of them without a degree.

SaxonRider

mikey74, what is your first degree in?

Having re-read your original post, what you are looking at is a second undergraduate degree. I didn’t get that the first time around. 😳

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Some such as healthcare are partly funded.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s not that I hate my job, it’s that I’d rather do something else, and Cokie is correct.

Saxon: Yep, that’s it. Not a problem. My first degree was in American Studies and Geography 😳

SaxonRider

Sounds like you did your degree at Swansea.

But by way of suggesting another approach to your situation…

There is nothing wrong with your first degree combination. I mean, you can see it as ‘fluffy’, or you can cast yourself as someone with a serious interest (at some point, expertise even!) in American-based geographical questions. On that basis, the work you could do is significant if not exactly limitless.

If you have shifted focus to geology, was your geographical interest always more on the natural side of things?

I am just thinking that you might keep your eye on various environmental services and/or charities. I am sure there will be something out there that corresponds to your interests without you having to spend an additional £19k.

Just a thought…

dmorts

Not entirely sure a CDL would be suitable. They are aimed at Masters students- hence why they only go up to £10,000. Anyway, the CDL is a con as they are given on a 9.9% interest! Yes, you get one year interest free, but after that you get shafted. You’re better off taking a loan at 3.5% from M&S from £7,500-15,000 and picking your repayment plan. Much better value and more flexible.

Well it depends on your circumstances. An M&S loan would be cheaper from what you say. However unless you are keeping on working full time you’re not going to pass their credit check and affordability criteria. That is, unless you lie…..

badnewz
    Free Member

SaxonRider makes a very good point.
    Tits and Teeth, Mikey, Tits and Teeth.

mikey74
    Free Member

Sounds like you did your degree at Swansea.

Nope, Brunel.

There is nothing wrong with your first degree combination. I mean, you can see it as ‘fluffy’, or you can cast yourself as someone with a serious interest (at some point, expertise even!) in American-based geographical questions. On that basis, the work you could do is significant if not exactly limitless.

I agree, I was just anticipating the usual STW backlash :mrgreen:
    I enjoyed it and have always had an interest in US history and sociology, especially as I lived there as a kid. However, I have always had a science bent and wish I had focused a bit more and stuck with physical geography/geology.

If you have shifted focus to geology, was your geographical interest always more on the natural side of things?

My interest has always been on the natural side, yes.

I am just thinking that you might keep your eye on various environmental services and/or charities. I am sure there will be something out there that corresponds to your interests without you having to spend an additional £19k.

I am happy to look around but to date, my research suggests that I need a degree if i want to do anything in that field, hence the OP.

Tits and Teeth, Mikey, Tits and Teeth.

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what you’re getting at there 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump! For any additional musings.

maccruiskeen

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what you’re getting at there

I think he’s suggesting selling your organs.

Or at least renting them out

mikey74
    Free Member

Ah, yes, of course. Let’s put that in the “maybe” pile 😀

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Those studying for a second degree…’ is closed to new replies.