Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Those "…. on board" things.
  • zaskar
    Free Member

I'd like one that said keep your distance as I'm fed up of taking ppl to court for whiplash.

But getting aggro over signs?

Life is too short. If you're in a jam try to think of ways to improve soemething or plan your ride or ways of making more money!

aracer
    Free Member

Do they make ones that say "Snob on board"?

Yes – they're circular with a V and a W in.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I'm sure I'd be justified in having "Cheeky Monkey on Board" 😆

When it comes to my son, what woudl I do? A marmoset is a small monkey, so….smaller marmoset on board?

coffeeking
    Free Member

#

what cuckoo said.

CK – you really ought to drive in a way that mitigates the effect of a cretin going too fast/too close behind you – if not for their benefit, nor the guy in front, but yours.

Oh I DO drive in a way that tries to mitigate that effect if possible, but I shouldn't need to, and whether they push me into the car in front makes no difference at all to my injuries/claim (both of which would be from the tailgater) so I do not drive concentrating on the guy behind and it isn't partially my fault if they shove me into someone else. Obviously it's nice to avoid though. The original point was thomthumb suggested I drive too close if I was shoved into the back of someone else. In actual fact, both times I have been hit from behind I had almost got my seatbelt off and was on the verge of opening the door to get out and have a word with the driver in front when the car hit from behind, the first time the rearward car had not even been visible when I started braking – must have been polishing his nails or something!

Both times it was people in front slamming on for amber when they were half a car length before the stop line, not exactly expected!

deadlydarcy – Member

Are you? I don't remember being told to look in the mirror for braking, especially not an emergency stop. I was simply told to regularly monitor the rear view and wing mirrors (and occasionally have a look out the windscreen, while rolling a fag, drinking coffee and texting :lol:)

Yes, I was. Obviously not in an emergency stop situation. But where do you draw that line. If you work on the theory of being far enough behind to stop safely, the only time you'd need to do an /emergency/ stop would be if you were not paying attention and something surprised you like the guy in front stopping and you not noticing. Just approaching lights and them choosing to stop for the amber rather than the red doesnt really constitute emergency, and so includes checking behind.

aracer
    Free Member

In actual fact, both times I have been hit from behind I had almost got my seatbelt off and was on the verge of opening the door to get out and have a word with the driver in front …
    Both times it was people in front slamming on for amber when they were half a car length before the stop line, not exactly expected!

So you were going to go and have a word with a driver who was following the HC?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀 @ Marmoset!

zokes
    Free Member

both times having been rammed into the person in front by the tailgater behind

too close then?

As above, I was hit from behind on the M5 a while back, pushing me into the car in front. Despite me being the sole occupant of my car, tailgater's insurance paid for both mine and the car in front. I guess I wasn't too close then?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought the emergency stop was more for the kid chasing the ball across the road from behind the car routine…you're supposed to be far enough behind the guy in front so as not to have to do an emergency stop aren't you?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Didn't need to mate, we had piebalds in the garden. Only learned to drive when I couldn't get my hands on one here.

S'pose piebalds are a bit slow for tar deliveries I reckon. How is the Terminal 4 runway contract coming along btw? 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

So you were going to go and have a word with a driver who was following the HC?

No, not sure which version of the highway code you read/were taught, but mine suggested that if you were likely to cross the stop line in the process of stopping for an amber, it is better to continue. I see it still works that way today…

Rule 175
    You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.

So I was getting out of the car to have a word with the person who slammed on, half a car length from the stop line, despite the fact that there was traffic behind in a 60 zone (only doing 40 at the time fortunately!) at a leafy, tree covered NSL cross roads. The driver stopped partly obstructing the junction, even more so when I hit the back of them after the chap hit me. This brought the whole junction to chaos. This is WHY you're meant to continue on on an amber if you're so close to the line that stopping before it is unlikely.

dd – yes, as I said, stopping at a junction is not what I'd consider an emergency stop, unless the object acts in a manner not expected (slamming on for a light while on top of the stop line, kid running out for ball etc).

D0NK

Continuing the thread hijack – I can't believe someone hasn't run into the back of me already as I have a habit of stopping for amber lights, something I haven't noticed anyone else doing. The occasions where I've judged there's not enough time to stop before the line and carry on I get a pang of guilt until a quick mirror check reveals the car behind me (and quite often the one behind that too) doesn't seem quite so bothered about amber lights.

tankslapper
    Free Member

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dont get me wrong, I don't advocate "running oranges" unless its necessary, and certainly never reds, but I think its safe to consider the amber light to be a period of time set aside for the human decision making process to occur, not an on-off switch for the brake. "will I stop by the line?…no…carry on". The person behind can then rightly assume that if you have reached a certain point you are then not likely to slam on in front of them and they can stop safely by the line.

tankslapper
    Free Member

owenfackrell
    Free Member

D0NK – Member
    Continuing the thread hijack – I can't believe someone hasn't run into the back of me already as I have a habit of stopping for amber lights, something I haven't noticed anyone else doing. The occasions where I've judged there's not enough time to stop before the line and carry on I get a pang of guilt until a quick mirror check reveals the car behind me (and quite often the one behind that too) doesn't seem quite so bothered about amber lights.

+1 and the same goes for when it turns red just after you have crossed the line.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Those "…. on board" things.’ is closed to new replies.