Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Those of you with world time watches….
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

How many of you actually use the feature?

I have this Citizen:

but other than learning the countries, west to east and back again, have no use for this function. I just like the look of the bezels.

wwaswas

Smartphones have made most features other than ‘find the time and occasionally the date at a glance’ irrelevant on traditional watches 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Those are cities, not countries. 😀

I prefer not to have cities/time zones on a watch. Just set it to the time where I am and count back/forward as required.

I wouldn’t mind a dual time watch, perhaps. With a little dial showing time at home, and full dial showing time in location.

Nice looking watch, though!

myopic
    Free Member

I use it on my G-Shock, but its part of selecting the time zone so that it automatically sets the time (ie you use mode to select the city corresponding to the time zone you are in and then the hands wind themselves to the right time for that zone, and correct nightly if there’s a signal available). Maybe your does something similar?

kilo

I have the dual time function on a gshock, I find it quite unnecessary and I’d rather it wasn’t there. I always set it to uk time,

I find I use the chronometer on my watch quite a lot, handier than a stopwatch on the phone when cooking and if I need to time stuff at work you’re not allowed phones in parts of my office

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice watch, not for me mind as I prefer very paired down simplicity.. but I admire your courage in carting that hulk around 😆

Breitling are well known for thier time zone pieces, but it’s been quite sometime since I’ve seen one adorn a wrist.

Just how do those things work anyway?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I used it when i was travelling a lot but its fairly pointless otherwise.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I have an IWC Pilots UTC (GMT) where home time is displayed in 24hr clock and the main hour hand jumps in hour intervals without altering the minute hand when you turn the crown, so you move it back and forth through time zones without altering the home time. I do find it useful when travelling and my brain struggles with 24hr time so handy for that too, not a fan of world timer dials as they are a bit busy

DezB
    Free Member

When I used to travel with work I bought a cheap Casio with dual time, used it a fair bit. Don’t anymore though, thanks to not having to travel with this job. Hated it!
    Watch is good for referee duties though.

IHN

I have an IWC Pilots UTC (GMT)

In the spirit of the finest STW pedantry, UTC <> GMT.

However, that’s a lovely looking watch.

MrSmith
    Free Member

True but most people wouldn’t know what UTC was, I certainty didn’t until I bought the watch 😀

IHN

most people wouldn’t know what UTC was, I certainty didn’t until I bought the watch

I didn’t until I had to Google it the other week to answer a terribly interesting question about webserver timestamps 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

Just how do those things work anyway?

The bezel with the city names is fixed.

The crown, top left, rotates the bezel with the 24hr time markers.

Referring back to the photograph.

Say you are in Manchester, it’s 10pm and you want to know the time in Sydney. Rotate the bezel to put the current time above the city that’s on the same line of longitude – in this case London.

Find Sydney on the fixed bezel and read off the time, 8am (08:00).

The bezel is shaded to indicate (average)light and dark hours.

Easy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Those of you with world time watches….’ is closed to new replies.