• This topic has 36 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Those of you with lots of bikes
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes you – you who’s taken perfectly set-up pictures of every one of the perfectly clean 5+ bikes you own, etc.

How often does the least-used get ridden?

b1galus
    Free Member

only on long tours, so once a year but then for two or three months every day while the rest sit and gather dust

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

bmx is very rarely ridden unfortunately.
    dh next rarely – once/twice a month?
    singlespeed roadie is used getting around town
    xc is used 2-3 times a week

geoffj

I’ve got one which I’ve never ridden 😳

A bit too much DH bike for me TBH.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve a crosscheck I forgot I had until recently when I went in the shed looking for my sander lol

amplebrew

My RC200 only gets used a handful of times a year.

Vortexracing

you who’s taken perfectly set-up pictures of every one of the perfectly clean 5+ bikes you own, etc.

sounds like a job for me next weekend then 😆

ads-b
    Free Member

single speed/station bike- most days
    winter road bike- twice a week in the winter
    summer road bike- three or four times a week in the summer
    full suss bike no 1- once a month
    full suss bike no 2- not used it yet

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

HT – in winter
    FS – in summer
    Road – almost never

samuri
    Free Member

My handjob very rarely gets ridden, maybe two or three times a year.
    My tourer only comes out at the start of summer but then it gets ridden a lot.
    All the rest get ragged solid.

clubber
    Free Member

Rarely. It’s my good road bike and only gets ridden in the dry and since I’m not riding much these days that’s only fiveish times a year. It’s a real treat though.

postierich
    Free Member

Whyte 46 12 months ago now 😕 must get rid no need
    Sunn Rigid SS Short summer rides 8)
    Airbourne Geared Long enduro rides and races 😛
    Singular SS all the blooming time 😀

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

You sound like my wife 😀 (only joking even she’s got 3 bikes).

Just to prove the point, one week last year I took each of my 7 bikes out for (a proper) ride each day that week 😉

Two of them only get used in the summer but then they get used several times a month / once a week.

(including my ‘retro’ museum-piece Stumpjumper which gets taken out for a few proper rides in the summer)

ken_shields
    Free Member

5 Spot – lots of Sundays (currently under going an overhaul)
    456 – current fave
    Major Jake – 2 times a week
    Road Rat – 1 times this week (just built)
    Raleigh SS road – summer cruiser only

heihei

My vintage Hei Hei only gets out a couple of times per year, but it did get raced a month or so ago!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

BMX doesn’t get used much these days and is lurking in my mums garage because she lives near a race track (and it’s for sale on classifieds!)

Mountainbike hasn’t been ridden much this winter but is having an outing this week.

CX bike is new and had it’s first ride today.

Road bike does a couple of 30 milers a week.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my TT bike ….. only ever gets used for racing and the odd dry training ride for position training ….

hasnt been out since august! (but i have been working abroad since august – and it was snowy when i came back)

Stu_N

All bikes get a decent outing. Mudguarded road bike, CX bike and hardtail get more use in winter, fancy roadbike and full sussers get more of an outing in summer. All 6 got ridden at least once a month last year, on average, and I have ridden 3 of them this past week. Given one or two are generally broken at any given time, it’s not so bad overall…

ton

not been on my ventana since august.
    but i only have 2 bikes now, so this has nothing to do with me……. 8)

druidh
    Free Member

The Blur is the least ridden. The mmmbop sort of replaced it for local trail centres and I never really got time last year for the Highland adventures it was aimed at. It’ll either get used for that a bit more this year or my new Ti hardtail will do that job and the Blur will be sold.

andrewh
    Free Member

Full suss race bike. Race use only so probably a dozen times per year, but properly thrashed. 2 of those were 24hrs.
    Hard tail. Very rarely, maybe 4-5 times per year. Main function is back-up race bike, particularly at 24hrs.
    TT bike. Only for TTs. Guessing around 20 per year. Doing turbo duty at present though.
    Big bike. Used to be loads, but sadly on it’s last legs now. Not been ridden since last March, two weeks in Scotalnd. Another Scotland trip planned for this March. My first really good bike (12 years ago) Love it and would never sell it so even I don’t use much I will keep it.
    Road bike. Would guess around 40 times per year.
    Singlespeed. Day-to-day bike. Commuting, hack bike, etc, then change gear and tyres and good off-road training bike. 250+ times per year.

Seggons
    Free Member

FS whenever I’m home from uni
    BMX pretty much every day
    and my DJ HT when all built up will be used fairly often 🙂

Mugboo

Summer Season all winter

Hemlock all summer

This can mean 1 to 3 times a week

SS i haven’t bought yet………..? 😆

Woody
    Free Member

ML8 – dry use only so been ‘resting’ for 3 months
    PA853 – once a week if nice
    Road bike – not since October
    Redline 29’er s/s – 1-2 times a week
    Mmmbop – only just built up – ridden twice in last week
    Love/Hate – stripped and about to be sold 😥
    456 – stripped until I decide to sell or build into commuter

No way on this planet are they ever going to be photographed together as you can see into my garden from a footpath and there are too many thieving barstewards about!

j_me
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden my grifter in 20 years, but its still in the garage.

daveb
    Free Member

Heckler – Quite a bit although not so much recently as it was in bits – built back up today.

Scott Scale – Bought in December and only used twice so far but will be used a lot for racing

Giant Anthem X – A few times a month and for racing / events

Orange P7 – A few times a month

Boardman Team Carbon Roadie – a lot in the Spring / Summer – almost nothing during winter

Charge Mixer – Four or five times a week as its my commuter

Northwind

My least used- the 90s steel rigid- has only been ridden round the block since I gave it a total rebuild and respray. So I guess it’s that. The 3 day-to-day bikes get used fairly equally, Hemlock the least probably, Mmmbop the most, rigid in the middle as it’s so good on the local XC routes.

longtimelistener
    Free Member

DH Bike – Couple of times a year – should sell it really.
    XC Bike – Once a month maybe, less when it’s wet.
    SingleSpeed – Most weekends esp when it’s wet.
    Trail FS – Couple of times a month, more when it’s dry.

And…

Jump bike – ridden around the car park only at the moment. 😳
    Keep meaning to take it to work for lunchtime thrashes.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I have 5. I haven’t ridden any of them in about 6 months.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My Whyte 19 collection, (I do have other bikes) 😀

rOcKeTdOg

Pegasus – night rides and mostly off road

swift – (got very worn summer tyres on it) road and towpath and commuting

EX8 – Matt is borrowing it

Wanga – matt is borrowing it

Trek 1.5 – not ridden since last ovtober road bikes are for sunny dry days

P.A. boxed up in my parents garage (still got mud on it though)

DezB
    Free Member

Ashamed of how little use my Yeti gets in the winter (er, none!).
    Singlespeed gets used the most, then road bike, then the decent ones.
    Just how life is, innit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh and those of you who have near-identical bikes: why? (not trolling this time, I was above)

charliedontsurf

I was handed a rock lobster cross bike recently. Lent it to mate years ago and forgot about it.
    Last weekend I was wondering why there was so much space in the shop, then saw Dave F ride past with all his kite buggying gear loaded on my big dummy. “Oh yeah”
    All my bikes get used if I can find them. Used most is my Niner SIR 9, used least is my Salsa Dos Niner, probably as they are both 29ers but I prefer the lighter ss niner.
    Now living ten minutes walk from the shop, my fixie rarely goes out now. Used to ride it a lot but do no commuting a to B miles now.
    Oh and they never all work at the same time, finding “that one is working” as what decides what I ride.

jonb
    Free Member

SS hardtail at least once a week
    Winter roadbike, about once a fortnight through winter.
    Summer Road bike, about once a fortnight through summer
    Commuter, daily
    Full suss about once a fortnight March- November and a couple of times through winter.

Having said that I go through stages of liking one bike more so will ride it more.

andrewh
    Free Member

Oh and those of you who have near-identical bikes: why?

Race bike and very similar back-up race bike I would guess, makes swapping from one to the other mid-race a doddle. Also keeps the spares situation easy.
    If I had the necessary £ I would love two identical race bikes for 24hr purposes, but as one cost £sixmonthswages I’m not likely to have two.

mboy
    Free Member

Oh and they never all work at the same time, finding “that one is working” as what decides what I ride.

I’ve found this too, especially compounded by the last 2 years of inconsistent employment for me… Last year it was my Alfined 29er Inbred that got ridden the most, until I robbed the brakes off it that is (it hasn’t gone anywhere since!). My Maverick got ridden the most over the latter part of last summer/autumn, though it now needs a new rear hub and a fork/shock service, so its not moved in 2 months now. Been riding my BFe exclusively since about November, mainly cos it works! Single ring up front does help with less to go wrong.

Maybe should get back on my Genesis now that the GF has got her own bike… It’s weird though, ever since I set it up for her (shorter stem, girls saddle) I go into the garage and see it as “her bike”… Really need to claim it back in my mind as it’s probably the most suitable bike for most of my riding!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Those of you with lots of bikes’ is closed to new replies.