Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Those of you who enjoy or even love your work- what it is that you love about it
  • brooess
    Free Member

Probably the wrong economic environment to be worrying about such things but I'm having one of my periodical 'I can't stand my job and I want to leave' moments. Some of you won't be surprised to find I work in financial services marketing (btw I DO have a soul, I'm a mountain biker, remember!)

For years I've wanted to do something closer to my own values and passions and at 36 it feels like now is the time to make the change so I'm interested in those of you who REALLY enjoy it and if so, what is it that makes it the 'right' job for you?

Cheers

jimmy

I love my hours, I'm my own boss and can go riding / climbing when I like, as long as deadlines are met.

I'm dreading graduation.

samuri
    Free Member

the hours in my job are insane, the pressure is crazy, but I get to mess about with computers all day which as a kid growing up seemed to be the best job I could ever have.

IanMunro
    Free Member

money, and free internet access.

ton

i make a shed load of money to squander on bikes i do not need……….. 😉

willard

I used to really love the challenge that breaking software gave me. There's almost a perverse delight in taking something back to the people that wrote it and telling them that it is not up to scratch. Then doing it again when they've "fixed" it.

Then doing it again. Right up until the point they are almost in tears.

The trouble is, I moved out of software testing into release management a couple of years ago and the challenge is not there and more. I'm just a secretary organising a diary. Well, pretty much.

noteeth
    Free Member

A certain female staff nurse, who shall remain nameless.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Love the fact that I'm not stuck in the same office every day, get to meet new people, and feel in someway this job is more about helping people than just being a number in some corporate.

Recently moved from IT Support to auditing.

yossarian
    Free Member

i work as in an advisory H & S role. I like it because I am not there to make money for anyone, instead I get to make people's working environment better, safer and more productive.

also I get paid pretty well, get oodles of holiday and have a nice 9 mile commute through the woods 🙂

would I do it for f*** all? nope

timber

I have chainsaws, tractors, big hammers and can be forever out of signal whilst felling trees and in a position of no particular responsibility – I loves it!

Even better, just been allowed back to work on light duties after injuring my back, so I shall be sat in the machines

jam-bo

I get to invent cool stuff and then get engineers to do the hard work…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I get out and about a bit
    Meeting loads of people, some I get in really well with, some can't stand me because to do what I do I needed to have a fairly abrasive nature and steamroll over some people's objections – that was fun
    Playing with some awesome technology, creating 3D reconstructions from CT scans is my favourite just now
    I get to wear surgical greens (although I think I look better in blues) and go into operating theatres, sometimnes when there's people getting sliced and diced
    Spending ridiculous amounts of taxpayers money, knowing that after a couple of years, we'll have saved that, then be making on going savings of hundreds of thousands a year
    Knowing that, by reducuing time to diagnosis for some patients, we "enhance the probability of a positive outcome" – (NHS management-speak for a better chance of surviving), which is a Good Thing, but is delivered at a lower cost – more people live and money is saved, woo hoo how much of a result is that?

Rich
    Free Member

mmmm, I like the sound of timber's job best!

Any vacancies? 😆

brooess
    Free Member

So in summary:

1. Having fun
    2. Doing something that feels worthwhile.

I think I can see what I'm doing wrong! Also thinking about ditching London – as much as I love the buzz and Surrey Hills are my local riding, London can be a way too work/status focussed a lot of the time… I'm still playing through yesterday's ride in my head 🙂

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i love my job,

i get to shoot guns, do a bit of welding here and there go fishing go out on "test" runs of new boat's built for the army and every so often (every day) go out on the jet ski to make sure its running ok!!

but i hardly get out on my bike!!

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

My job is very stressful and at times emotional draining, it can be hugely frustrating, mainly due to the bureaucracy and political interference & it’s certainly not the job that I trained to do 15 years ago that said I love the intellectual and clinical challenge of helping people move out of the distress there in – when it goes right it is enormously rewarding and definitely makes up for all the rubbish that often surrounds nursing

Then again I’m crap at everything else

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I've made a living as an artist since leaving College in '87. Its allowed me to exhibit, work and travel worldwide. I relish every creative challenge, either on canvas, gardening or building. Its great to see your work as part of a bigger cultural 'picture'. Excuse the pun.

I set up a small summer school a few years ago and am seeing my students making a name for themselves critically too.

I cant ever imagine working for someone other than myself.

tomalsop
    Free Member

I work making DVDs and Blu-Rays:

I love films, I love messing about with computers, I'm more than a little bit obsessed with digital audio and video, I really enjoy the combination of technical and creative challenges we face, I get a bit of a kick seeing my work on the shelves in HMV, I get to work for Iron Maiden occasionally, I work with a good bunch of people, we have really decent clients, the money's not too bad and, despite what people say about London, Soho is a great place to work.

So all in all not too bad really 🙂

Drac

Variety, driving really fast, laugh with work buddies, loads of time off (off until 17th August at moment) and the security.

aP
    Free Member

tomalsop – you've moved back down here again then?

I get to do very little of what I spent nearly 7 years training for, I get to do quite a lot of things that I've never been trained to do and although at times I sit in the corner and want to cry – when things go well then its great, and with a bit of luck they won't get pulled down in my lifetime (although if they do then I get to join a quite exclusive club).

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Varied and interesting work, good teams to work with, does not seem like a job at times.

Bad points, pointless paperwork/performance targets, disruption of personal life (had to cut recent holiday short, not popular with SO!!).

tomalsop
    Free Member

aP, I never actually moved away in the end, it all went a bit pear shaped…

Living in Enfield now and not been out with London MTB for a fair while though.

kinda666
    Free Member

I'm a signalman, based in Wolverhampton and i love my job and i'm not even remotely interested in trains TBH! 75% of the time i work on my own, so i can browse the tinternet, read a book or magazine, fix my bike, sit back in the armchair and relax, have a cup of tea when i like, cook a meal or order a take-a-way! When i go home, most of the time i'm very relaxed and can handle whatever home has to throw at me, in fact going to work is a break! 😀

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Broess

For years I've wanted to do something closer to my own values and passions and at 36 it feels like now is the time to make the change so I'm interested in those of you who REALLY enjoy it and if so, what is it that makes it the 'right' job for you?

It seems to me you're talking about two separate topics here. One interests me and I might be able to help – This one

For years I've wanted to do something closer to my own values and passions and at 36 it feels like now is the time to make the change

I work as a Coach helping people do exactly this (mostly in the corporate world so there's no commercial motivation here!). email in profile if you'd like to talk. Good for you for wanting to finally live by what makes you, you.

TM

RichPenny
    Free Member

I work for a high end hi-fi company running the test department. I guess I get a massive buzz from the enjoyment people get from our work. Being audio, the atmosphere is fairly relaxed, although it's been a bit more stressy since I got promoted. Our department is good fun even when we're very busy. I'm in electronics through music really, so I like the fact that at least 50% of the staff are proper music nerds. Pay isn't great, but I've got £25k of hifi in my house 🙂

m0nster2
    Free Member

I'm supposed to design/engineer/project manage bits of fast, expensive cars.
    I f'ing hate, detest, despise the spreadsheet-driven blame culture we've ended up in, and the non-contributing 'policemen' who have an opinion on everything…

On the other hand: I get to do something that lots of people would pay to do; Get to drive very fast; See designs years before most people and, best of all, get to sit quietly and smugly when journalists and 'experts' spout sh*te about something which they know a lot less than they think*

*Edit: Never on here, of course 😉

Bimbler
    Free Member

Interesting stuff here. I hate my job 🙁

rogerthecat
    Free Member

work 1 mile from home so walk or cycle in most days, means I can have breakfast and tea with the family.
    Set up small company seven years ago and work with a great bunch of people, clients are ace – it has become self selecting over time.
    Would only change if I had so much cash I could stop working altogether.

Bunnyhop

The best things for me are being self employed, so I work when I like, or more importantly when I have work!
    Because I produce something, there is something to show for the work I do. Also getting thankyous from customers. Lots of riding time.
    Everyday is different, every job is different and I'm not sitting down all the time. Also I get to visit some beautiful houses. So it isn't boring.

Of course there is a bad side. Money is really bad. I really do work for the love of it, so my work tends to be of good quality.

I have friends who earn thousands more than me and they're very stressed and unhappy. That, however is their choice.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I manage sales & logistics with a lot of project management thrown in. I'm involved with quite exciting products (for instance it was our bit of kitthat was involved in last week's furore over sperm manufacture). Sometimes it gets boring but being able to buy cameras cheap and borrow whatever photographic equipment I want helps.

When I'm bored with that I take some time off and go biking or just reflect in the fact it keeps my family happy.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Registered nurse here. I do flexible / bank work as a deliberate life / work balance. Best things? Flexibility and I will never be out of work. Last time I needed a part time post it took me 3 days to get one. Pay is not great – but not awful. Depending on when and where £10 – 22 per hour. I tend to only work 25- 30 hrs a week

The things I like – the smile from an old lady when I turn on the charm, the enjoyment an old boy gets when I take him to a football match (in my own time) The satisfaction of knowing that just sometimes you make a difference to someone's life even if in small ways. The ability to say – weather forecast is good this week – I think I'll take the week off.

I hate – the whinging junkies I work with sometimes, working nightshifts over a sunny weekend 'cos I'm skint and need the money.

As bunnyhop says – I also have friends working 60 hr weeks for huge sums of money – but I wouldn't want to live with that stress. I'll have my life now thanks.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

TJ I know exactly where you are coming from

CaptJon
    Free Member

Variety
    The challenge
    Colleagues
    Money
    Hours
    Security

I've been working towards my job for 5 years. Now i've got it it is even better than i imagined. I'm a very happy bunny.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Those of you who enjoy or even love your work- what it is that you love about it’ is closed to new replies.