Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • those of you using compressors for tubeless…
  • sockpuppet

is a 6 litre one better? is the tank enough? is it better (quicker to fill) or a little small (empties too fast)?

not many of the small compressors are in stock anywhere just now, but they are cheaper and take up less space than the 20-ish litre ones.

is it worth the wait for a smaller one (saving some cash) or should i just MTFU and buy the bigger?

wwaswas

6ltr's been fine for me – easier to move around if you want to do the car tyres etc as well.

twang
    Free Member

Probably going to have to get myself one of these too.
    Got any links anyone?.. only ones I can find are massive industrial jobbies…

uplink
    Free Member

try machinemart

Onzadog
    Free Member

It can depend on how you inflate them as daft as it sounds. I like to feed the air in relatively slowly so I can tend to lose a bit of air but I've never blow a tyre off while inflating. I prefer the 25 litre compressors for this reason.

twang
    Free Member

Cheers uplink, not cheap though are they?? this is the cheapest one I could find at machinemart;
    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/wiz-mini-air-compressor/path/diy-semi-professional-air-compressors-2
    Any better (ok cheaper) ones about anyone?

sockpuppet

that one doesn't have a receiver tank – it's jut a pump!

plus the bandit is out of stock (and comes with a nailing kit i don't want to pay for since it don't need it) as is the 24l one

Onzadog
    Free Member

Halfords have one around £90 at the mo I think. 24 litre tank, 1.5hp motor.

twang
    Free Member

Oh, is that not the right sort of thing then?
    The ones with the big tanks seem a bit OTT for bike tyres?
    A friend of mine does his with a garden sprayer type thing! Not seen it for myself though so not sure which one

uplink
    Free Member

Folks aren't using then to pump up bike tyres per se [that's what pumps are for]

Most people use them to get tubeless tyres initially inflated

twang
    Free Member

Most people use them to get tubeless tyres initially inflated

Yes I'm with you uplink, its that constant pressure you get from a compressor, that you cant get with a track pump, that makes doing the tubeless thing much easier. Is there not anything that delivers constant pressure but isn't the size of a party seventy!??? (but costs about the same!)

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Got mine off Ebay – but had to wait until a local one came up.

Wally

Aldi – they come around every year and come with a host of gadgets. Will post when they come up.
    Used mine last night for Ghetto tubless, cleaning a chain, cleaning out a freehub, drying a bike (lazy) and cleaning out my nose.

twang
    Free Member

How much Wally?……. also would it be ok for ghetto colonic? 😯

carlphillips
    Free Member

i never see what all the fuss is about, ive got two of my bikes set up tubeless and all inflations and tire changes have been done without fuss or failure and excessive sweating with a bog standard track pump…
    what are you doing different to me to warrant using a compressor..?

twang
    Free Member

think its down to tyres or tyre/rims combo. Some go up no fuss, others are a right pain

uplink
    Free Member

what are you doing different to me to warrant using a compressor..?

It's sat in the corner of the workshop – why not?

handyman
    Free Member

I got mine from B and Q about 60Pounds perfect for tyres, toys, air cleaning

Wally

It was about £80. But they often hang around and get discounted to £70 – I went in everyday watching the pile move slowly down the isles into the discount section. It is a big very heavy item, mains powered.

petetheplumber
    Free Member

I use a 6ltr unit, the 6ltr tank helps give you the initial burst of air that’s often required. You can also leave it stored with air so if you need to take it to your car or use it late at night you can. You can also use small air tools, drills, grinders and spray guns. Some air tools need oil but you can get and oil fitting if req.

petetheplumber
    Free Member

If you get one oof those water jet things you can soak a cat at 50ft

Fun

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘those of you using compressors for tubeless…’ is closed to new replies.