Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Those nice people from Merlin
  • wiltsrover
    Free Member

I dont know how many of you will have had dealings with the Merlin bike shop but with their current extremly generous policy towards bikers, I would certainly encourage you to do so.

I have had a Malt 2 for just about 5 years now and done quite a few miles on it, including 3 weeks in the Himalayas and a 3rd place finish at Cheddar, so had a bit of hammer and finally decided it was time for a new one – helped along in the decision by a craked seat tube. So had a look around, Scott, Giant, Spesh but liked the Malt so much I decided on another – upgrading to a Malt 4. As the 2 was XT’d up decided just to get a frame, the current 20% discount definately helping that decision. So £400 frame for £360. Took a day off work to wait for the postie to bring it and lo and behold, 3.30pm comes and there he is armed with large box.

Still with me, bored yet, hang in there we are getting to the good bit. Just like a big kid at 3.00am on Christmas morning I open up the box….. and then look at the paperwork….. then look in the box again….. then look at the paperwork again…..then go and fire up the PC to check the order and confirmation email just to make sure my eyes are not deceiving me and I am not going stupid for yes, in the box were not one but TWO £400 Merlin Malt 4 frames!!! Gee guys, I know it has just past my birthday and I am heading full pelt towards 50 but you realy shouldn’t have, I thought buy one get one free only operated at Tesco.

So the least I can do is share my good news with the Forum and encourage you to use my friends at Merlin cos hey, who knows what you might get, tell ’em Wilts sent you!!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Still use my merlin malt 1 frame as fully rigid commuter-great value for money bikes and i have to agree merlin’s shopping experience has always been good.

leonthepro
    Free Member

Just used Merlin for the first time last week and have say very fast delivery and good prices will def be going back.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Sell the second frame and get some maths tuition.

Jammy111
    Free Member

Sell the second frame and get some maths tuition

😀

cheez0
    Free Member

i got £200 here for the ‘bonus’ frame..

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I’d check they are both aligned properly before using them.

Mine wasn’t, but apparently that was my fault. I must have “dropped it” or hadn’t “transported it properly”.

Merlin are great.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

So you’re going to keep it then?

jamesy01
    Free Member

Wonder how many Malts they sold this week…wonder if any Merlin employee’s trawl this forum….

wiltsrover
    Free Member

Wonder how many Malts they sold this week…wonder if any Merlin employee’s trawl this forum….

If the shop manager does maybe he would like to return my call…

Junkyard
    Free Member

they dont as a general rule it is my LBS

DanW
    Free Member

Have to say that Merlin are absolutely great in my experience.

As an example: Bought high end wheelset, didn’t use for two years due to injury and found the rear hub to be slightly iffy when setting up my bike recently. The manufacturer wasn’t interested as it was out of warranty but Merlin offered to take a look and have now fixed it. They had no obligation to even consider giving it a look so I am very grateful. Replied to emails very quickly too.

They may not have a every part under the sun in stock like CRC but everything they do sell is a bargain.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Lucky you! Another prize for next weekends raffle at the SPAM (late)Christmas shin-dig may-be!!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You didn’t pay by paypal by any chance?

I met someone who had just bought a Ibis Mojo and received a set of Fox forks as well in the box!

wiltsrover
    Free Member

Lucky you! Another prize for next weekends raffle at the SPAM (late)Christmas shin-dig may-be!!

Good shout Fuzzy – I could offer it up for the winner of the best muffin competition, then again the old frame would be an improvement on the empty box of lights that someone won at one of the SPAM does!

JtotheP68
    Free Member

You should give them a call and own up and get them to collect it, thats a £400 frame you have there. Its not like they’ve just sent you an extra inner tube by mistake. I’m no legal expert, but I’m pretty sure you are breaking the law if you keep it as you have obtained the frame by deception, and not telling Merlin about it is deception.

From the 1968 Theft Act:

“A person who by any deception dishonestly obtains property belonging to another, with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it, shall on conviction on indictment be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years.”

I am pretty confident that Merlin read these forums, I doubt they sell that many Malt 4 frames this time of year, so I would think you’ll be getting a call or email from them shortly.

PiknMix
    Free Member

thieving bastards that is all I have to say about the Merlin cun*s

I hope your business goes under very very soon.

Jamie
    Free Member

thieving bastards that is all I have to say about the Merlin cun*s

I hope your business goes under very very soon.

Let me guess. You’re missing a Malt 4 frame?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I have always had great service from them. I needed a bike quick for a trip to france a few years back and after a quick phone call to them I had one at my door before lunch the following day.

I don’t think the shops mistake would be treated as theft as the OP didn’t go out of his way to take the goods from them. THEY made a mistake and sent them.

However the right option would be to offer it back to them at cost.

I had something similar happen to me with Stif and ended up getting a huge discount on the next lot of goods I ordered as a thank you for returning the items!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Just how is someone else’s mistake “obtaining goods by deception”? What a clot.

And if you take the time to re-read the posts, rather than Googling some legal nonsense to cut’n’paste, you will note that he has already tried to ring Merlin.

So wind necks in, all the amateur private dicks.

neilforrow

ScottChegg
    What a clot.

😆

JtotheP68
    Free Member

Scottcheg- Its deception because he has it in his possesion and he knows its not actually his property. I would have thought that was pretty obvious you Goon.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’d better say it again for the hard of thinking. He has not deceived anyone. He has contacted Merlin.

Where is the deception in your mind?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Keep the free frame trust me, if you send it back they will only **** you over with:-

A. not even acknowledging you have saved them a frigging fortune at considerable cost to ones self.
    B. Ignore any contact regarding promised discount on future purchases

I would rather pay a little bit extra at my lbs that give twunks like that any more of my hard earned cash.

Bitter, much 😉

ourmaninthenorth

Merlin have made a mistake in law.
    The second frame remains their property.
    The OP holds it on trust for Merlin
    If the OP has sold it, it wasn’t his to sell (irrespective of any non-returned calls). He knew it wasn’t his, because he hadn’t paid for it. It is arguably theft, and almost certainly conversion.

Merlin could well report this as theft, but may accept payment in lieu of the frame.

I think that puts the OP down about £200.

I certainly wouldn’t be brave enough to brag about such idiocy on a public forum.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Source?

el_diablo
    Free Member

Write to them telling them that you have the frame and will store the frame for them and they must collect it at by a certain date. If it is not collected by this date then they will incur storage costs of £30 per day.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Someone who actually knows feel free to correct me, but I think it’s covered by distance selling regulations. AFAIK it’s yours.

Olly
    Free Member

maybe its because the crack at the seatube.

grannyring
    Free Member

Surely, if you know something has been sent by mistake…it’s your duty to inform them?
    I’m basically on the side of ourmaninthenorth, it’s a form of theft if you know you’ve received something you haven’t paid for and don’t inform the company or return it.

I’m a huge fan of Merlin Cycles. They have great prices and special offers, top customer service and speed of delivery – they would be the last company that I feel deserve to be ripped off/cheat because of a clear mistake.

Rant over 😐

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Why did so few of the posters to this thread ignore wiltsrover’s second (and thread 10th) post, about waiting for the shop manager returning his call before ranting?

Its the console generation I tell thee – no attention span.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Multiple reading fail. Love it.

Dismount those high horses gentlemen.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve no problems with Merlin, I bought some bits off them last week, first purchase, the chains didn’t turn up for whatever reason, but one phone call on Monday and they arrived next day (today), no quibbles and all sorted with. 10/10

grannyring
    Free Member

And does that make it right Jujuuk68, the fact that the manager hasn’t called back?
    That’s a typical mentality imo, where even though you know you’ve received something that you haven’t paid for, you look for ways of justifying it (for gain of course).

It’s called a conscience – if you had one you’d return it – simples!

Stuey01
    Free Member

Has the OP suggested anywhere that he has any intention of keeping it, selling it, or doing anything with it other than returning it?

Apart from the obvious joke about it being a raffle prize.

Seriously… what’s the view like from up there?

Shandy
    Free Member

Quick, quick, jump to conclusions and tell everyone what to do!

This is turning out even better than last night’s “nobody started an Obree thread because everyone hates the gays” thread.

grannyring
    Free Member

Stuey01 –

So the least I can do is share my good news with the Forum and encourage you to use my friends at Merlin cos hey, who knows what you might get, tell ’em Wilts sent you!!

Doesn’t sound like he’s thinking of sending it back does it, or can you see something I can’t?
    Shandy – Conclusions..? It’s not about telling people what to do – it’s a public forum where we can all give our opinions….question: if you were running a fair business in difficult times and mistakenly sent out a double order, would you not hope that the person who received that order would do the honourable thing ?

Surely, assuming the OP is thinking of keeping it, there is a right and wrong thing to do here?

Stuey01
    Free Member

I can see this…

wilts rover said:

Sounds like he is trying to rectify the situation to me. Or if you were planning on keeping a frame that had been sent to you in error would you be on the blower to the shop telling them about it.

That whole first post is written in a jokey tone, did you not pick up on that?

grannyring
    Free Member

👿

Stuey01 -that’s a lame way of putting the onus on the sender, in the hope that they won’t call, thereby the recipient feeling justified in keeping it.
    It’s a bit like finding a wallet..do you hand it in ( you know that’s the right thing to do)?

Call me old fashioned, but it seems quite simple to know what the right thing to do here is..

bazza17
    Free Member

Merlin are cheap for online but miserable buggers in the shop. Unhelpful, clock watching nobody’s who treat every customer as an inconvenience.

Amongst other things, I took my bike there to have some work done on it prior to a weekend away at glentress. Gave them three weeks to do and and what do they do, wait until the day before I go and tell me the freehub is goosed. Asked when they can fix it, was told that they haven’t got round to doing this weeks parts order. Many angry phone calls later was loaned a bargain basement rear wheel to get me over the weekend.

In particular, there is chief frontline shop counter misery guts that sports glasses. Don’t ask him if you want your usual lbs type info. Think he has lost the will to live.

Other than that, they’re quite handy for me and parts arrive quick by post

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Those nice people from Merlin’ is closed to new replies.