Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Those new Sentinel fork seals.
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Just been looking at their Kickstarter page again and it looks pretty unlikely that they’ll reach their funding target.
    It set me thinking why this idea hasn’t really taken off when you see some which to me seem more pointless blitzing their targets?

I’m wondering if maybe in general people aren’t willing to risk the long term performance of their probably quite expensive forks to a relatively untested product, or maybe the initial cost is too high? Then again, I guess its also very possible that everyone is pretty happy with the humble seal just as it is?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Looks interesting – first I’ve heard of it.

I reckon if they don’t make the target, they’ll just sell the tech to Fox, SRAM, Magura, Marzocchi or Manitou.

ratherbeintobago

I think it’s just the nature of Kickstarter.

I’d really like the Upper Downs people to meet their target, and have backed it, but am a bit worried that £9k in 8 days is a big ask…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andybrad

the seal is simply a wiper seal. its nothing new (appart from it being coloured)

i dont see any benefit tbh.

lornholio
    Free Member

If it’s genuinely a good idea an investor will back it. If the creators believe in their product they will take the investment.

Potdog
    Free Member

It’s a bit different to just being coloured @andybrad the way it does its job is intriguing and I can see how it could reduce friction nicely.
    I’ve stuck my backing in now. Never know, might get the chance to try them!

andybrad

Well the way i see it is youve basically got a very tightly controlled shaft moving through a seal. having a point load (like a conventional seal on a fork) means you have little in contact with the leg. the sentinal introduces more points of contact. not sure how that is better?

retro83
    Free Member

Potdog – Member

It’s a bit different to just being coloured @andybrad the way it does its job is intriguing and I can see how it could reduce friction nicely.
    I’ve stuck my backing in now. Never know, might get the chance to try them!

Do you understand how it works then? What’s the purpose of having four ‘wipers’ inside the seal?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

The blurb is pretty comprehensive

When we use materials with less friction, the total friction will be less while the protection and wiping stays the same or improves.

I like it. Backed.

Potdog
    Free Member

@torsoinalake beat me to it. I’m no scientist though, but the blurb had me convinced.

molgrips
    Free Member

They are made of different materials, with lower friction, because they design allows them to do that. That’s the idea anyway.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I guess the problem is that there’s nothing much wrong with the seals Fox, Rockshox etc supply. They’re tough as old boots in general, so why change?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

so why change?

I just fancy that extra plushness for when I am riding around the car park bouncing up and down on my suspension.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe modern forks are super plush, but some of my older ones could easily do with a bit less stiction.

retro83
    Free Member

Potdog – Member

@torsoinalake beat me to it. I’m no scientist though, but the blurb had me convinced.

Oh I didn’t notice you could scroll down on the kickstarter 😳 , cheers.

Northwind

MrsPoddy – Member

I guess the problem is that there’s nothing much wrong with the seals Fox, Rockshox etc supply. They’re tough as old boots in general, so why change?

I put lower friction seals and foam rings in my lyriks, definitely noticed the difference. Basically the less friction, the better the dampers and spring can do their job. Though agree the OE ones are more than good enough

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Those new Sentinel fork seals.’ is closed to new replies.