Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Those new Northwave winter boots
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone got them? Thinking this style with the sleeve…

Do they work well? They particularly wide or narrow? How difficult to get on/off? Opening looks a bit small for my giant feet, is it quite stretchy?

Thanks 🙂

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Not got those but I know that northwave boots cleat holes are further forward than other brands like Shimano and specialized, so if you like your cleats positioned further back these may not be for you, I bought some cx boots and sent them back because of this. Otherwise they fit me fine, once you pulled them on, with the usual go one size up as per Shimano shoes.

TrentSteel
    Free Member

*Removed double post*

Cotters
    Free Member

I have just bought a pair and used them in the snow last week for approximately an hour and a half with just a single pair of socks. Feet were perfectly warm throughout and 100% dry – possibly would have needed another pair of socks for anything much longer but the conditions were quite extreme. I bought a size 45 and am normally a 9.5 if that makes sense. All in all they are seriously rather good.

Cotters
    Free Member

PS Tweeks have them on offer at £133 I think.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Only in small lady sizes 🙂

northwave boots cleat holes are further forward than other brands like Shimano and specialized, so if you like your cleats positioned further back these may not be for you

I do, that is annoying, maybe not for me then.

bruneep

I have These boots and they really are the best thing ever for keeping my feet warm and dry.

makkag
    Free Member

Not got that one but god how my old gortex ones make things easier – Warm Dry Feet make winter life so much better !

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’d be leery of the boa laces freezing up and prevent you getting a foot out. I love my Northwave boots but they’re a previous generation with velcro and normal laces.

mrmo
    Free Member

just bought the gtx Raptors, perfectly happy with them. have kept my feet warm and dry in the recent snow and rain even with thin summer socks. Sizing, the 46’s i have are not a million miles away from the size 46 Sidi’s i have. a little roomier and the foot doesn’t seem quite as well held.

bluebird
    Free Member

I’d be leery of the boa laces freezing up and prevent you getting a foot out

I wouldn’t worry about that, plenty of snowboard boots have BOA laces and I’ve not heard of them freezing up. NW aren’t BOA though, it’s their own version.

dovebiker

The cuff on the NW is neoprene – think stretchy wetsuit material. Warmth will also be down to leaving enough room for a thick, warm sock as they have no insulation to speak of – OK down to freezing IMO, but you’ll probably want to fit an overshoe for colder conditions.

scotroutes

I have those Bontrager OMW boots and have a major problem with them.

They’re too bloody warm! I reckon there’s only a handful of days each year when they make sense. 😆

cubicboy
    Free Member

I have the – wait for it – Northwave Black 2017 Extreme XCM GTX MTB Shoe. They are fantastic. I have the previous model too and the collar is a vast improvement (as the ‘seal’ around the ankle is much snugger). I wear my tights over the neoprene cuff but also have a cut-down pair of Marigolds too… it’s about as good as it gets. Yes, they are expensive, but they are very well thought through.

vickypea
    Free Member

I recently bought a new pair of Northwave Arctic. My previous pair lasted 5 winters with pretty heavy use. They’re warm, comfortable and waterproof and make the difference between getting out and riding in cold, wet conditions and staying at home.

mrchrispy

Been rocking my Northwave Arctics for 5-6 years now, they are all kinds of awesome.
    Would hesitate to get these if I was looking from another pair or boots.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Is that a roadie boot???

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve had some raptor arctics for about 6 weeks. Cuff is a bit tight at first but now I’ve sussed how to get them on it’s fine. Was worried that the cuff would flap around cos I’ve got chicken legs and skinny ankles but they have been good. Nice and warm and no water in them yet. Had a good swill in a crank deep ice filled muddy puddle yesterday and they were fine. Very light too for a winter boot. I’m a size 8.5 in shoes but went for a 43 ( size 10?). For ultimate protection I’m going for some grip grab gaiters if I can find them. They seem to be sold out everywhere. I bought these and some lake mzx303 at same time to compare. Lakes were a 43 too but felt too narrow and too heavy. No doubt they are great but glad I chose the Northwaves, I looked like a 3 wood with my winter tights and the lakes!!!.

mrmo
    Free Member

Is that a roadie boot???

Northwave make the same upper and stick it to one of two soles, either road or mtb. So yes the picture is the road version, but it is virtually identical to the mtb version i have, including the tasteful colour!

In total i think Northwave have 4 different winter shoes/boots levels available.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I have the old style Northwave celcius. My experience of them is that they’re very good shoes, warm and watertight but they are very narrow and seem to have a higher than average instep. I get used to them but the first week or so of wearing them each year is pretty uncomfortable.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Northwave make the same upper and stick it to one of two soles, either road or mtb. So yes the picture is the road version, but it is virtually identical to the mtb version i have, including the tasteful colour!
    In total i think Northwave have 4 different winter shoes/boots levels available.

Was just wondering, because I cant see why anyone would buy a road version of that over a pair of overshoes.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I ordered the Raptor Arctic boot and sent them back – could barely get my feet through the neoprene sleeve and looking at feedback on a few sites, that doesn’t seem too uncommon. I’m so disappointed as I’ve had Celcius Arctics for a few years and been very pleased. They fit my wide feet and keep me warm and I had fairly high hopes for the new style. Interesting to read that getting them on became easier, but I feared breaking the tab or heel box it was such an effort.

How wide are those Bontrager ones?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was just wondering, because I cant see why anyone would buy a road version of that over a pair of overshoes.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/winter-boots-road-worth-it

dazh

I’ve got the raptor arctic MTB shoes. Only used them once so far in snowy conditions and temps of about -3. Feet were dry and warm throughout. They are a bit of a struggle to squeeze into via the neoprene collar but it just requires a bit of patience rather than brute force and surely you’d want the collar to be fairly tight to prevent water ingress. Once on they’re very comfortable. Sizes are pretty bang on too as I’m a standard 43 and they fit fine with medium thickness winter socks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Coincidentally, a review…

http://road.cc/content/review/234114-northwave-extreme-rr-gtx-shoes

I really do wonder about the vents in the sole.I guess you could always duck tape them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Those new Northwave winter boots’ is closed to new replies.