• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • those new hydraulic road brakes….first impressions
  • iainc

I’v had 2 cold wet road rides on my new CDF30 now and am so far mightily impressed with these Shimano 685’s. I am coming from a stock 2014 Croix De Fer, which had the Hayes CX Experts on it and these really do seem worlds apart. The action is smooth, no grabbing or dragging and the power, after initial bedding in is almost silly on wet roads….

They are effectively mtb xt calipers, on 160 rotors, so on 35c conti crossspeed tyres its very easy to lock them up, but thankfully they seem nice and gradual.

Negatives – only one I can see is that the sti’s will be very expensive if need replaced/get damaged. Also don’t yet know what they will be like for bleeding etc, although manual look relatively simple. They also come with unattractive quick link connectors, which are untidy in the cable/hose area in front of stem.

They do feel just like my xt mtb brakes, but on a ‘road bike’

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback. Very interested in threads like this. I want hydro discs but I’m worried about not being able to change seals in the levers.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m really tempted, but I’d need new 11 speed wheels and groupset too 🙁

The cable routing for my cable discs on my current bike is terrible though, after only 2 weeks water it had collected in the bottom bracket area of the cable and it had gone rusty and the cable was stiff, despite all the relevant rubber things in place on the cable.

Since invested in some Jagwires (better) but going to need to factor in lots of cable replacements.

Slightly wishing i’d gone for a bike with mini-V’s…

iainc

^^^ on my previous bike, with the chainstay mounted cable Hayes cx experts, I popped a middleburn cable oiler halfway down the downtube, near the cage mounts and it totally sorted that problem

NZCol

I’ve been running mine for about 4 months. As you say they are very good and no hassles, rear didn’t quite setup properly and still has a tiny amount of pump up but have bled heaps of times and tried all the tricks. No QR things on mine though.

jamesfts
    Free Member

A guy I ride with regularly has them – mega impressive if a bit fuggly.

Only 2 slight drawbacks are that I’ve nearly taken out his shiny new Di2 mech when he’s grabbed handful of brake, they’re that much more powerfull than regular cantis avoiding action is the only option! (or not sitting up his backside obvs)

Other thing is they’re surprisingly noisy as soon as there is a bit of water/grit/grime on them, far more so than a rim brake, or an mtb disc for some reason – this might just be a setup issue.

Mister-P
    Free Member

A sticky cable on my TRP Hy/Rd front brake this morning had me wishing for full hydraulic road brakes.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Have them on mine since November

night and day tbh

I wore thru a set of carbon tubular rims racing cross so these are a welcome change. The braking is amazing

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ugly but impressive pretty much sums it up.

The hoods are a different shape, so if you’re used to normal Ultegra/105, it can take a while to get used to them.

Very happy with mine. As above, XT braking on road, what’s not to like?

turboferret

Had R785s on my TiCom for 2 weeks now, and they’re awesome 🙂

Being able to pull effortless stoppies regardless of the weather is somewhat of a revalation when jumping off a road bike with carbon rim brakes!

One thing I found was that the back brake was impossible to bleed conventionally. I needed to use a pair of syringes and even then lots of lever pumping was required to get the last tiny bubbles out of the reservoir. No issues about dodgy cable runs, seized or stretching inners. Mine do squeal a bit in the wet, but it’s a price I’m more than happy to pay 😀

Cheers, Rich

globalti
    Free Member

I can’t wait. I soooo much hate hearing my rims being ground into a nasty grey paste.

Lifer
    Free Member

I don’t agree with the ugly at all (as I’ve said on here before one a few times), think it looks much nice with clean forks/seat stays and having everything around the hub.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lifer, I meant the hoods being a little ugly.

Lifer
    Free Member

Ah okay! Yeah agree with that but reckon they’ll get smaller, equally though are they more comfy?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They’re different. 🙂

The top of the hood can be a nice upright resting position, though, almost like a bar end!

iainc

those of you that have bled them, how easy is it ? I am well used to doing my xt ones with the epicbleed kit.

turboferret

I don’t find the R785s much different to my Ultegras, although I suppose being Di2 means no mechanical shifting gubbins to up any space, just the hydraulics.

Cheers, Rich

Daffy

I’ve fitted R785s to the Niner with Goodridge hoses and XTR9020 callipers. Bleeding the front was a doddle, the rear was more of a faff, but just due to orientation and air pockets.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I wore thru a set of carbon tubular rims racing cross so these are a welcome change. The braking is amazing

This!

I’ve got a set of alloy rim DA C35 clinchers on my training bike (long story, they are actually supposed to be day to day use on my race bike but I stuck them on to the training/commuter bike because I had a double puncture one morning and they stayed on becuase they make such a huge difference). Anyway, about 1000km of riding over Dec and Jan and the rear is showing significant signs of wear, even though it was new last June!

iainc

I did notice on my first very wet ride, with a few mates on rim brakes, that the differential in braking performance could get problematic in a close group.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hi,
    Could any of you guys recommend a source for the Shimano Hydraulics for a new build without breaking the bank?

I can’t find any groupsets with them in the UK. Only one in Germany for around euros 770.

Or £350 for just the brakes in the UK.

Any better options?

Daffy

As far as I’m aware, they’re not directly part of any road groupset. Hence whey they’re available separately.

molgrips
    Free Member

You aren’t all impressed – you are wrong. They are rubbish, no-one needs anything more than rim brakes. You were all told this on the relevant threads! Pay attention!

cchris2lou

i take it they are 11 speed only ?

any way to make them work with 10 speed ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got the SRAM Hydros on my CX’er. Been bloody excellent but have gone through 2 sets of pads on the front and 1 on the rear since July.

But I do ride hard and in all conditions.

8)

stoney
    Free Member

I`m gonna hang on till the Campag one arrives!!!!! 8)

iainc

40 miles of manky wet back roads yesterday, cold, driving rain. Brakes are so unlike ‘road bike brakes’ – silent, effective, no rubbing, very pleased with them.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I fitted my 685’s in January, they came totally dis-assembled, so I had to fill and bleed them. The instructions where pretty straight forward and I’ve done the best part of 1000 miles on and offroad without the slightest problem.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘those new hydraulic road brakes….first impressions’ is closed to new replies.