Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Those little bike bits that instantly disappear..
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

That funny looking plastic crossheaded, threaded blanking doodah that covers the hole you thread gear cables through on Shimano shifters.

Nigh on impossible to put back in without dropping it, and they always instantly vanish on contact with the ground. Stupid bloody things

RustySpanner

Those little rubber condoms that cover the bleed nipples on Shimano discs.

tomhoward

The grub screw that secures the cable for bar mounted lockout on RS forks

Though I did find it again, 3 days later, more by luck than judgement.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    torsoinalake
    Free Member

Just last weekend – the c-clip on an Elixir pad retaining bolt.

woody2000

Split links, cable end covers, brake reservoir cap screws

Edit: Anything that you really, really need to keep safe and not drop on the floor because you don’t have a spare and you’d be knackered if you lost it. 🙂

fasthaggis

The plastic washer/spacers on the brake nipple holders inside STI levers..says a man that lost misplaced one in the shed on Sunday 🙄

RustySpanner

Rock Shox rebound adjusters.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

+1 for the circlip on pad retaining bolts and the spring in wheel q/r’s

danielgroves
    Free Member

Gear cable crimps, when your down to the last one.

jekkyl

the little bit of plastic you put between the brake pads.

DrP

OP – dip the tip (fnar fnar) of your phillips head into grease, and the plastic bit will ‘stick’ to it, allowing you to put it back in (if you can find it!)

DrP

bigbloke
    Free Member

Those plastic clips that hold brake hoses to the frame they are a nightmare my bikes seem to shed them like skin.

gmex619
    Free Member

+1 for cable crimps.. I keep losing them

Do keep a box of frame cable clips though. Caught one popping off when I was building os I took them all off and ziptied.

wwaswas

Hope hub pawls and springs.

‘Spoing’ and they’re gone.

teasel
    Free Member

If you have this problem, may I suggest a large plastic sheet a la Dexter/Mafia/hitman. Should solve the lost item issue, at any rate…

wwaswas

may I suggest a large plastic sheet

Or a fridge that can be raised hydraulically to aid searching.

plyphon
    Free Member

When swapping QR’s and you drop the springs. Never are you finding that again.

ndthornton
    Free Member

those teeeeeeny brass washers that hope use in the hose connection assembly. They are amazing – become totally invisible when removed. None of my brakes have them any more – hope they arent important……….

ndthornton
    Free Member

oh and as mentioned – I dont have either of those plastic shifter screw thingys any more

bones76
    Free Member

Once lost the bolt out of a brand new pair of hope brakes, god only knows were it went as last thing i remember doing was placing two of the bolts down on the work’s bench only to find when i came to assemble the brake to the handle bar there was only one bolt there and could i find i find the other one could i hell! I actually think i must have knocked it off by accident and the dog ate it! 😆

teasel
    Free Member

Or a fridge that can be raised hydraulically to aid searching.

Rule #1

Never, EVER work near a fridge. Except when…uh..working on a fridge.

Edit : I don’t mean ‘on it’ as in on top of it. I mean, trying to fix one. Trying to work on a bike whilst sat on a fridge is just asking for trouble…

AlexSimon

Schrader to presta valve hole rim shims things.

lovewookie

one of my gloves.

Though i suspect the dog has something to do with that..

epicyclo

The bleed screw on brandnew Hayes brakes that inconveniently made its bid for freedom on a long fast descent, shortly followed by all the fluid.

Fortunately it was on my daughter’s bike so I’m ok, and she picked a nice bush to crash into. 🙂

She’s a BB7 fan now.

davosaurusrex

Hope hub pawls and springs.

‘Spoing’ and they’re gone.

Technical term for those is ‘pingfuckits’

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Technical term for those is ‘pingfuckits’

😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

That funny looking plastic crossheaded, threaded blanking doodah that covers the hole you thread gear cables through on Shimano shifters.

Exactly.

And dust caps, or the valve nut.

bungle

Removable tubeless valve core; fail to let all the air out of tyre before undoing and it goes off like a small rocket. Did find it 3 months later, purely by chance, at the far end of the garden.

Bregante

Tiny ball bearings from u-turn adjusters on rockshox forks 😈

wwaswas

fail to let all the air out of tyre before undoing and it goes off like a small rocket

I came very close to having my eye out in an early tubeless experiment.

The fact I wear glasses saved me – there was a chip in the lens 😯 I never did find the valve core.

ocrider

That plastic spacer on the non-drive side Hollowtech crank, what does it do again?

davosaurusrex

Erm, preloads the BB bearings…..

jambon
    Free Member

The plastic plug thingy on Shimano Shifters? Simple, replace them with SRAM ones that can’t even be screwed back in without being chewed into a mush. Sorted.

The little grub screw that holds the cable to the barb on LEVs – missing before I opened the box.

ocrider

Erm, preloads the BB bearings…..

Yes, that would be the preload nut. 😀 Thats the crappy plastic bit on that side of the crankset that I don’t usually lose, although I give it my best.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Jees, you lot must be a right bunch of rubberjonnysausagefingers 🙄

lovewookie

5mm allen keys.

I swear I’ve got hundreds somewhere.

you just put them down and they’re gone.

kinda solved this by buying some p handled ones, bit big to lose easily. Bet I will though…

coldhams1
    Free Member

Fiddly cir-clip things on top of the motion control dial on rockshox forks. Wish I had kept the old one before losing the new one.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Those little bike bits that instantly disappear..’ is closed to new replies.