• This topic has 73 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Those Greeks- that ticking timebomb in less than two weeks
  • hora
    Free Member

The default at the end of this month, can it be deferred?

If it can’t and the Greeks default it’ll cause massive problems in the money markets and hurt our pockets wont it? Thats my laymans understanding.

However-

Anyone with a grasp of the situation/economics explain?

allthegear
    Free Member

They did defer it – to the end of the month.

Rachel

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They need to quickly pop in here :

wrecker
    Free Member

Looks like Putin to the rescue doesn’t it?

binners

The whole thing is a car crash. Its always been a case of when, not if, Greece will default and drop out of the Euro. The whole ridiculous situaution has always been completely unsustainaable in the long term. They’ve just been fudging it to postpone the inevitable. How very EU.

Now it looks like the real power in Berlin has finally reached “**** it….” stage, so its game over.

I think all the financial establishment are all pretty much resigned to it happening, so I can’t see it being a massive hit

Would I fancy living in Greece at the moment? Not a chance! Are things about to get an awful lot wore for them? Most definitely!

RicB

Yes I suspect that’s the main worry- if the ECB/IMF won’t lend Greece the money, Greece will turn to a country that will and Russia is top of that list. Dread to think what Russia will ask for in return eg military installations on the border etc

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Last year I went to Greece on holiday and we were doomed before we went (apparently)

Going in another couple of weeks, and looks like we are doomed again. (apparently)

Thats my expert analysis

growinglad
    Free Member

The people have been going downhill for the past 5 years or more…They have had enough. The debt in it’s current form will never be paid off, so might as well call it quits.

Far as I’m concerned the German state has far too much say in EU politics and the only ones who really benefit from the EU are the EU politicians….oh and the German exports…lets not forget that.

They should have stopped at free trade and free movement of people without needing Visa’s to work.

I’d be glad to see a good shake up.

GL
    (Greek financial refugee).

uwe-r
    Free Member

The Greek mess will get resolved one way or another (default or haircut being the same thing in the end), the vast majority of the debt they owe is to the ECB which would be very bad news for the Eurozone in general but more specifically to the countries that have adopted the Euro. We are currently benefitting as a safe haven from the potentially volatile Euro so your holiday money goes a bit further at the moment.

If I was a German citizen I’d be in a rage and demanding a default and expulsion from the Euro etc but cool heads are required as that simply plunges Greece in to the economic abysis and much less of the debt would ultimately get repaid. I’d expect some combination of debt right off and long term restructuring with heavy penalties and political interference as conditions.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Dread to think what Russia will ask for in return eg military installations on the border etc

In preparation for the invasion of Western Europe ?

Scarey stuff eh ?

ninfan
    Free Member

As I understand it, if they Fail to pay the ECB money, there are penalties and actions enshrined in ECB legislation that kick in automatically. The results of which would be huge.

Essentially, at that point it’s out of the hands of the politicians, who have up till now bent the rules to suit.

wrecker
    Free Member

Dread to think what Russia will ask for in return eg military installations on the border etc

That’s exactly what they’ll want. More russian (or american) military installations in europe are not a good thing. I wish they’d both just FO.

kraftyone
    Free Member

My simple view is thus : My pound sterling goes a lot further when I go over to Ireland to visit the in-laws. I can now almost afford to keep up with them at the pub – my liver on the other hand…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I wish they all wanted to disarm.

Northwind

I reckon their only mistake is on waiting so long tbh. Interesting times though. Nobody’s looking good though, the ECB and IMF’s conduct has been appalling.

duckman

Off to Crete on the 30th…2 Bilion removed from Greek Banks Mon-Wed and the banks are shut on Mondays to stop over the counter withdrawls. Think I may bring electrical goods and sell them as I need to hire a pedalo etc a la Weimar Republic.

globalti
    Free Member

Greece will default on the IMF and ECB loans and there will be no more credit. This worries me because a Greek customer owes us about €74,000 right now. This customer pays regularly when it suits him but makes us wait when cash is short, in other words he has the same cavalier attitude to his creditors as his government does.

When credit runs out and there’s no more cash, cashpoints will run dry, there will be a run on the Greek banks and presumably anarchy. Scary.

The irony is that if the dozen or so filthy rich Greek shipping owners paid just a tenth of what they owe their government in taxes, all Greece’s problems would be resolved.

We are hoping a rabbit will be pulled from a hat over this weekend.

binners

Nah… they’re not interested in that. Even Putin wouldn’t want to provoke Europe that much, militarily. Why Bother?

He’s after something far more important, and closer to his heart than that. What he’s after is a suitably ••••ed and desperate banking system, right slap bang in the middle of Europe, that him and his mates can use to launder their money so they can buy the rest of London, and most of the rest of Europe

theflatboy
    Free Member

duckman – Member

Off to Crete on the 30th… I need to hire a pedalo

Try not to fall in – I wouldn’t like to rely on Greek medical assistance right now, insured or not…

mogrim

Far as I’m concerned the German state has far too much say in EU politics and the only ones who really benefit from the EU are the EU politicians….oh and the German exports…lets not forget that.

If only there were another large EU country that could act as a counterweight to the Germans, assuming it’s politicians were brave enough to actually do something and not just whine about it from the sidelines.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Next step is whether the ECB grants another 3.5bn in support to the Greek banks which they have asked for, decision made in last few minutes I understand but not made public. It seems to me capital control (ie you can’t get your money out) are inevitable at the Greek banks. If they don’t get the 3.5bn its very possible Greek banks will be shut on Monday.

If Greece does default at the end of the month I suspect there will be much shouting before a deal is done sometime in the following weeks. Greek people don’t want to leave the euro and if they did leave the euro they would quite probably be forced out of the EU as well.

If there is no deal we will see some economic disruption not least as the eurozone is on the hook for a few hundred billion in losses. The medium term outlook is better though as financial discipline is restored to the eurozone and the general view is the currency will go up as the weakest member is out. The financial system is prepared for a Greek exit, banks where required to make plans in 2010 fora Greek default and I am sure they will have been told to update those this time around.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Oh well, nice cheap holiday in France coming up 🙂 Greeks are getting their just deserts for serving me (eventually) warm lager and cold chips!

jambalaya
    Free Member

If only there were another large EU country that could act as a counterweight to the Germans, assuming it’s politicians were brave enough to actually do something and not just whine about it from the sidelines.

I think we’d be as tough as the Germans, at least I hope we would. We looked the euro and decided it was a dogs breakfast so stayed out. Confirmed now as absolutely the correct decision.

piemonster

How much money does Russia really have to spend on Greece?

Theyve committed and awful lot to military spending and some pundits have them as out of cash reserves in the not too distant future!

That’s a question, not a statement.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

The cost for Greece to stay and the cost for them to leave are both billions and both will be funded by Europe – unless/maybe Putin gets involved in a Greek exit (do you hate this “Grexit” term….I do it is a Greek exit!!)

growinglad
    Free Member

How much money does Russia really have to spend on Greece?

Not much if the following is anything to go by.

There is a piece here, The Russian issue is going to cost 2.5M jobs in Europe…so they say.

http://www.thelocal.ch/20150619/russian-crisis-threatens-40000-swiss-jobs

tyrionl1
    Free Member

So does this mean the Germans won’t deliver all those nice submarines they paid for in advance and they had yet to deliver.

duckman

theflatboy – Member

duckman – Member

Off to Crete on the 30th… I need to hire a pedalo

Try not to fall in – I wouldn’t like to rely on Greek medical assistance right now, insured or not…

Posted 19 minutes ago #Report-Post

You’re not helping!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I appreciate that in theory it’s bad news bears and all, but all I can think is “good for them”.

tthew

And of course, if they get the 7.2 billon bail out, this month it’s all pretty much spoken for. Where does the 10 they need in July and August come from, (you holiday makers best be drinking a lot of lager)
    [img]http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/media/images/83100000/gif/_83100119_greece_debt_repayment_timeline_july.gif[/img]

chewkw
    Free Member

hora – Member

The default at the end of this month, can it be deferred?

Do you think loan shark will deferred payment?

If it can’t and the Greeks default it’ll cause massive problems in the money markets and hurt our pockets wont it? Thats my laymans understanding.

I just misread it as “monkey” markets … thought all the bananas would be gone.

However-

With UK being so astute in finance the impact is minimal. UK is very good at counting money you know. Monneeeyyyy! Not monkey.

hora
    Free Member

The cost for Greece to stay and the cost for them to leave are both billions

As I see this/have read into this along the way- by dragging this out its just going to cost more and more when it finally happens. 1trillion euro-mark anyone?

I see it this way. I earn £8,000 a year but my living standards and outgoings are £12,000 a year. I take out numerous credit cards and keep increasing my credit limit- my required repayments don’t cover the interest nor make any movement on the overall credit card balance.

Yet every year I’m spending £4,000 more just to survive.

If anything changes in my circumstances (I can’t make payments required) or if the bank wants me to clear my credit card what happens?

I do a voluntary bankruptcy then sit back and claim it was all the bankers (IMF and Germans fault). Laughing.

In the real world- Greece leans quite hard to the left. Infact it becomes a Communist country again. There are still cheap holidays to be had although Germans for some reason aren’t welcome.

If it impacts us- i.e. we lose money personally, it sticks us into a recession OR (more likely) the EU asks all memberstates for billions each contribution to shore up the central bank post-Greece we’ll blame the Greeks for costing the British taxpayer xmultiple billions.

Either way- who the **** let the Greeks join with their cooked books in 2001?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@piemonster – Russia is in trouble financially with sanctions hurting and oil price down. Their economy is now half the size of the UK. They cannot really help longer term but they can certainly cause some trouble which I’m sure they would love to do. NATO member Greece cozying up the the Russians 😯

People may have voted for Syriza but they don’t want to live in a Mk2 Soviet Union

growinglad
    Free Member

In the real world- Greece leans quite hard to the left. Infact it becomes a Communist country again

Afraid not, there is quite strong options either way, remember they had a Civil war after WWII. And quite a few years of Military dictatorship….

Glad you brought that up…All the EU hobknobs knew this back then…But they wanted the EU to grow and for them to gain more power…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@hora – yes that’s all part of the “game theory” theory – either way the eurozone has to endure a world of pain. However I think that the eurozone is more afraid of the same happening in say Spain (ie we won’t pay our debts) so they could let Greece go.

Yup the big question that needs to be answered. Sarkozy has admitted it was a mistake. This Greek outcome isn’t a surprise for anyone who cared to think about it. Perhaps granting them EU membership but they should not have been allowed into the currency until they had proven they could manage their economy.

chewkw
    Free Member

hora,

The fundamental of lending money is that the person you are lending to is able to pay back.

If you lend it to someone who is bankrupt with hardly any assets then you are either foolish or you are going to be a slave master or a pimp.

😮

Earl
    Free Member

Can someone explain to me in simple terms why Greece leaving the euro is a bad thing? I would have though loosing a weak country lifts the average of the rest?

hora
    Free Member

If you lend it to someone who is bankrupt with hardly any assets then you are either foolish or you are going to be a slave master or be a pimp.

Which implies they know Greece leaving is going to cause massive problems throughout Europe. If it was £10bn owed it wouldn’t be too much of a problem but approaching £400billion its a massive problem thats growing. they’ve created a monster.

**** ing Greek-Godzilla.

chewkw
    Free Member

Earl – Member

Can someone explain to me in simple terms why Greece leaving the euro is a bad thing? I would have though loosing a weak country lifts the average of the rest?

Not a bad thing. It’s better for the Greek people not to beg and to retain their dignity.

hora – Member
    Which implies they know Greece leaving is going to cause massive problems throughout Europe. If it was £10bn owed it wouldn’t be too much of a problem but approaching £400billion its a massive problem thats growing. they’ve created a monster.

**** Greek-Godzilla.

Ya, Greek is now playing the “too big to fail” game and also playing “you snooze you loose game” or you blink you loose.

Unfortunately, if EU wants their money back from the Greek they just have to become the pimp.

hora
    Free Member

Chewkw – with no money to pay pensions, wages and public services. What will happen in Greece?

I suppose the national currency would be revived and printed/distributed asap but their would be rampant Zimbabwe-style inflation for years.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Those Greeks- that ticking timebomb in less than two weeks’ is closed to new replies.