Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • those ebay carbon 29er s are they….
  • vondally
    Free Member

a ripoff of the on one lurchers
    b complete death trap or con
    c good starting point for 29ers
    d anyone bought one

there are a few on ebay at the moment

[img]http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i380/carbon_bicycle/bicycle/FX6.jpg[/img]

paddy0091
    Free Member

Be worth looking on the weight-weenies forum > mountain bike section. Seem to remember they had a large thread on the 26″ equivalent a while ago.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I asked the same question months ago and the general feeling was!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/29er-carbon-fibre-frames-on-ebay-direct-from-china

SilentSparky
    Free Member

There’s a long post over on MTBR about them, seem to get good reviews in general. I’m looking to buy one myself in the next few days once I’ve worked out which model and size to go for.

rOcKeTdOg

Don’t buy the top one, the disc mount is on the wrong side

ssboggy

Didn’t On One’s order for the Lurcher frames end up with about 5 times as many being made by the factory by mistake, then On One ended up with none. Those frames must have gone somewhere

vondally
    Free Member

intresting thannks silent sparky what size are you going for?

bol

Ssboggy – it was 456s they made too many of. There are a lot of differences between these frames and the lurcher. Just because they’re all made in the same country doesn’t make them all the same. The reviews seem pretty good, but it’s resale value that puts me off. An unknown quantity is likely to be worth sod all used.

ssboggy

Ssboggy – it was 456s they made too many of.

O Yeah i’ve just read this Link properly 😳

ashfanman
    Free Member

That first picture… *shakes head*

Some good work on the shadow there… 😆

tomaso
    Free Member

There is a reason people are wary of unbranded goods and it is a good reason.

compositepro
    Free Member

There is a reason people are wary of unbranded goods and it is a good reason

It doesn’t have nice stickers on it???

tomaso
    Free Member

It doesn’t have nice stickers on it???

Its not so much the stickers but the fact that smeone will put their name to it and their reputation. Cheng Zin Manufacturing or whoever are an unknown quantity and without a trusted brand fronting their frames it is impossible to trust.

thepodge
    Free Member

you carry on paying over the odds then while the rest of us getting good deals.

its not as if there’s a thread on here with a broken mountain cycles and two broken marins

bol

Its not so much the stickers but the fact that smeone will put their name to it and their reputation

Quite a few brands are more than happy to put their names to these bikes. There’s a Focus on another thread that I’d swear is a nicely painted version of one of te more popular and well reviewed frames. If you know what you’re buying I’m fairly sure you’d have little more risk of it failing than with a Lynskey for example (happy Lynskey owner here incidentally). Some of the £200 frames on eBay would make me a little nervous though.

weeksy

Loads of people in the US as stated about on MTBR forum using them… all giving good reports. In all honesty i don’t see the point in geting one over my giant, looking at the weights and the weight mine was weighed at before purchase i rekon i may save 1lb maybe 1.5lb…. personally i’m of the thought that 1.5lb doesn’t really matter that much.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Good point Weeksy! My 29er Scandium frame weighs 3.14 LBs. Not really worth risking an untried plastic frame for such a small weight saving!

tony24
    Free Member

The thing is after postage and Import tax they are around 300 anyway. Which is the price of an on one i cannot understand why you would risk it …

tomaso
    Free Member

I have a good friend in Taiwan and I’m more than aware of how many frames with different stickers come out of the same factory. I am also aware of how many other factories churn out of copies that look the same as the real thing. They may not however be the same in terms of their construction, material quality, fit and finish.

njee20
    Free Member

I didn’t pay import or VAT on the (26″) one I imported. I’d have another one, although admittedly not while Whippets were £300.

Why, out of interest, is something “totally untested” because it’s sold via eBay and not through a flashy shop?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘those ebay carbon 29er s are they….’ is closed to new replies.