Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Those cycle trailers off E Bay …
  • mattythemod
    Free Member

[/url]][/url]Dont really want to spend the big bucks on a BobYak so was wondering what the ones were like off the bay , not for everyday use but would come in handy for carrying cases of cider when going parties etc etc , anyone here got any feedback or pitfalls to watch out for and do they make your bike ride like a digger driven by a blind man ?

drofluf
    Free Member

Heres a working URL 🙂 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160808535364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I bought one of those over the summer. Only done a couple of rides and it didn’t affect the handling too badly. A little different but I soon got used to it

hairyscary

My ex bought one. It took me a bit of work with a file and bending implement to get it built up.
    It’s been fine since as far as I know.

yunki
    Free Member

handy for carrying cases 5G polypin barrels of cider

HTH

paul4stones

I’ve got one and used it to tow family camping stuff on the Coast and Castles last year. It’s good. The original skewer or bolts for attaching it were made of cheese but I bought a skewer for £10 off CRC and an engineering mate made some new bolts for me. It always looks like the base should fall off but it hasn’t. I’ve carried 25kg in it easy.

Some pics:

Start again

tang
    Free Member

Im borrowing one off a mate this weekend for a test ride. Looks pretty good out of the bag.

mattythemod
    Free Member

Paul4stones – THanx for the comments and pics looks like it will be fine for me ….

Tang – let me know how you get on pls , i will prolly be using it on the Swift i bought off you a couple of years ago …..

rOcKeTdOg

Check first that the cowled dropouts on the Swift will work with that

gazc
    Free Member

i’ve got one and its good, but the qr is knackere so waiting to get the better one from crc. mate has a yak and its definately better made, but if u ony want it for odd missions the ebay one is definately up for the job

gazc
    Free Member

oh and my mates dad made me a brace that goes between the trailer wheel stays and the top bit of the frame to make it more rigid. handy if u know a welder! 🙂

spooky_b329

I have one, its a bit heavier than the Yak and it shows up the bumps and scrapes more. Major advantage is the cheaper price and that it folds down so you can store it easily.

tang
    Free Member

Got cowled drop outs on the niner, I’m sure lookmanohands off here(whom im borrowing from) had to do a bodge to fit on one of his frames. I’ll let you know! This one might be for sale…if I dont buy it!

mattythemod
    Free Member

The cowled dropouts is a concern to me ‘ now on some of these trailers the plates seem to sit away from the frame up against a bolt on the extra long supllied skewer , Tang let us know how you get on pls .

anoriginalname
    Free Member

I bought one and used it for a 550 mile touring trip. It was ok, the wheel needed trued straight out the box, and I snapped one of the welds, not a very important one, just one of the ones that holds a brace between the upper and lower sections. They are pretty heavy, but don’t affect handling too much.

tang
    Free Member

Already having clearance issues with a 29r bonty mudx tyre. A touring tyre would fit but not what I had in mind! Gonna dig out a summer tyre and see. Cowels on the niner not a problem. This might need some mods. My neighbour is a retired engineer/handy welder with a massive Workshop. Might be knocking on his door later.

Dogsby

I have had one for a few years and it works fine and was a great price. I bought one of the skewers from CRC so I could use on on two bikes and I have used it on a FS, HT and my road bike and it worked well. It is heavy but it never bothered me. If you load it up then just make sure that the heavy stuff is as near the floor as you can.

Well worth buying

Dogsby

mattythemod
    Free Member

Tang – do the arms of the trailer sit flush against the dropouts ‘ i am running bonty mud x as well
    😯

tang
    Free Member

If they did it might be ok. The bolt on the one side sticks out a fair bit, if it didn’t then the jaws would close more and give some more clearance out back. I’ll stick some pics up later.

mattythemod
    Free Member

Look forward to some pics mate.

tang
    Free Member

I’m thinking the wide drive side nut is for mech clearance, not an issue with a shadow mech. This isn’t going to work without a mod or a smaller diameter tyre.

mattythemod
    Free Member

I’m thinking the wide drive side nut is for mech clearance, not an issue with a shadow mech. This isn’t going to work without a mod or a smaller diameter tyre

Well mech clearance is not an issue coz i am running SS , still wondering if its gonna foul the cowel dropouts on the frame .

steve_b77
    Free Member

OT but Tang, do you still want the car seat?

mattythemod
    Free Member

OT but Tang, do you still want the car seat?

Maybe hes gonna bolt it to the trailer LOL .

Did you get chance for any pics mate ?

drofluf
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Check first that the cowled dropouts on the Swift will work with that

They do, on mine at least”

mattythemod
    Free Member

They do, on mine at least”

Thats good to know .

mattythemod
    Free Member

Just thought an update was due …

Had my E bay Trailer a few weeks now and apart from arriving with a slight buckle in the wheel and a broken reflector i am well pleased especially as it only cost £50 , the skewers are junk so the trailer wheel one has already been replaced and the axle one will be next and no such issue with cowled dropouts or running Bonty Mud x tyres on a 29 er frame .

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Those cycle trailers off E Bay …’ is closed to new replies.