Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Those cool boxes that plug into the cigarette lighter….
  • Christowkid
    Free Member

do they work?
    It’s just I’m off to a 3 day festival soon and need to keep food cool, and was wondering how good they are.
    We’ve got a camping fridge and a lot of gear, but it all relies on electrical hook-ups. This will be basic camping, so none of that, but my car does have sockets on the boot.
    So….
    do they work?
    will it stuff the car battery if on for ~ 3 days?

any users please tell all!
    cheers
    Q

Xan
    Free Member

They are good as long as you buy a good one (not a cheap one from tesco) and make sure food is really cold before you put it in. Its not like a fridge so wont really chill things, just keep cold stuff cold.

As for your car battery, if you have it plugger in for 3 days without running car for a few hours in between then yes. Also not =e that some 12v plugs wont run without the key at turned to at least possition 1.

uplink
    Free Member

Not sure you’ll get 3 days out of your battery & still have enough to start the car

We use one & it’s quite good – we tend to pack some ice packs in it though

PePPeR

We do the same as uplink, we pack the thing out with ice to give it as much of a chance as possible. I’ve had one drain a good battery in a day though!

aP
    Free Member

We have one that we run in the boot on the way to events, then when we set up camp unplug and wrap it with an old blanket. This helps to keep it cooler for longer.

antigee

as said check will work with key out
    put freezer blocks or ice in bags for a day before hand to get temp down
    put in cold stuff
    you can get a device that is supposed to detect battery low and cut the supply – less than a tenner i think – though one i’ve got never worked properly – probably because diesel cars need a lot more power to start??
    will flatten battery in hours rather than days as pretty easy with opening shutting doors / boot to drain power anyhow

see if you can borrow a gas fridge?

Christowkid
    Free Member

ok…. I’ve got a good coolbox that doesn’t plug in – as you all hint, it sounds like it’s best to pre-cool it first, and pack it with ice.
    I get the feeling it’s not going to be viable for 3 days, and then try and start my diesel car to go home!
    I might get my fridge instructions out – I think it might be able to run on gas! Good thought!
    thanks all
    Q

Christowkid
    Free Member

ok…. I’ve got a good coolbox that doesn’t plug in – as you all hint, it sounds like it’s best to pre-cool it first, and pack it with ice.
    I get the feeling it’s not going to be viable for 3 days, and then try and start my diesel car to go home!
    I might get my fridge instructions out – I think it might be able to run on gas! Good thought!
    thanks all
    Q

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Those cool boxes that plug into the cigarette lighter….’ is closed to new replies.