Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Those cheap Yeti's – I done bought one
  • flange
    Free Member

How do all

Canfield was getting a bit heavy for pedalling about and I wanted something i could pedal up, hammer down and so on. Followed a link on here to Evolution Imports cheap Yeti’s – they had a 303 on there for £800! Anyhoo, they also had the ASR-7 which I’ve always liked the look of. So I did the deed and purchased it, £799 posted which I thought was bloody cheap.

Bit of a bitsa build at the moment, hybrid king/nuke proof headset, middleburns (!) and seat post will all be changed (going for a dropper post of some description). Also hopefully a lighter wheelset (Crossmax ST maybe) and eventually a chain device of some description.

Riding it yesterday, its awesome with a capital A. Pedals so well for a 7 inch travel bike, totems suit it pretty well and it just feels much more chuckable than the ‘field. Still need to play about with pressures in the rear shock but its all a learning curve. Dead impressed! Glad I went for the medium though, I’m 6ft 1 and its bob on for me (saddle is a bit high in the pic).

Dark-Side

Damn you, I had decided this morning not to go for it, and I am now revising that decision. Looks great.

psychle
    Free Member

Riding it yesterday, its awesome with a capital A.

Whereabouts do you ride? Still torn over whether to switch my new bike plans to this or stick with the Mojo HD (much more expensive of course, though, IMHO, a more sexy frame there is not!)

nasher
    Free Member

Nice ride, but the stem looks a little long for that sort of bike.

Enjoy!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Argghhh it’s so tempting. Out of curiosity why did you go for the RP32 over the DHX?

Dyffers
    Free Member

middleburns (!)

Am I missing a joke here (thought they were nice and light?), or do you mean middleburns using sq taper or ISIS are too old hat for a frame like this and will be replaced by some HT2s forthwith?

martinxyz
    Free Member

It feels bob on because of the stem. Nice deal though.

Wookster

Oh dear that’s very very nice!

flange
    Free Member

Well I didn’t get the option of DHX (I’ve got a push’d one I could put on if so desired) but wanted to give the air shock a try. Unless you mean DHX air which I hadn’t thought about…hmmmn.

I want to see how I get on with the bike, at the moment it feels pretty good for most things. I’ve got a full bore XC racebike for the flat out stuff, the idea behind this is that I can use it for the Gravity Enduro series, the Mega and a couple of trips to the Alps. Also, I do a lot of riding in my local quarry that has a lot of big drops and stuff which this is ideal for. I can’t express how well it pedals though, for a 7 inch bike its as good as my 5-spot ever was

Middleburns are of the square taper variety and are a little flexy for this sort of riding. Also a bit of an arse to fit a bashring to (they’re an uno) so I’ll be going for some SLX/Saint shaped depending on weight.

Stem is pretty long but it does feel pretty nice. Might experiment with something shorter, I’ll just see how I get on with this to start

Future shopping list includes
    seat dropper post
    Cranks
    Crossmax ST’s
    Some bling in the form of a new rear mech maybe

vinnyeh

At that price you can’t really lose. Even if you decide that it doesn’t work for you, there won’t be much depreciation after 6 months or so. If I had the kit ready to go on it then I think it’d be worthwhile giving one a go- they might work in this country better than folk expect, there aren’t many reports around.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I really like mine.

I’ve only ragged it locally, Gisburn, Lee/Cragg Quarry, but it’s a lot more useable than the Alpine it replaced.

At that price, as Vinny says, they are worth a go.

vinnyeh

Do they come supplied with a maxle, or do you need to buy that on top?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It isn’t a Maxle, it’s a bespoke bit that is wound in with an allen key, and the non-drive end pinched with a small bolt. But it is included. As is the Salsa seat clamp and the Yeti chain guard.

psychle
    Free Member

At that price you can’t really lose. Even if you decide that it doesn’t work for you, there won’t be much depreciation after 6 months or so. If I had the kit ready to go on it then I think it’d be worthwhile giving one a go

Sooo tempted to do this… I have a pile of parts awaiting a home, reckon they’d work rather well (and look good!) on the Yeti… aaargh, I hate being indecisive!

WackoAK
    Free Member

ScottChegg – looks good, what tyres are you running?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thinking it could be well worth a punt as a bike for Alps holidays and the mega. Reasonably cheap, and as someone has pointed out, if you don’t get on with it then you’ll not lose much.

What’s it like on the twisty stuff? Anyone done an uplift day on one?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Wacko – Michelin All Terrain UST’s out of the spares box. Supposed to be a 2.2, but wider than a 2.35 Kenda.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Blobby – It was brilliant through the woods at Gisburn, but that’s quite flowy. It gives you a lot of confidence and can be launched without much effort.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks great! I love white bikes 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shame they don’t have any of the matt black ones left in a medium… I would be very tempted indeed. About 6ft and usually ride about an 18″ so guessing the small would be too small, even in yeti sizes.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Mine is a medium. I’m 5’11” and it’s just about right. They didn’t have any Black (anodised) mediums in the sale, I got mine from The Bike Chain before Xmas at a fantastic price.

And the 10% sales at Merlin and CRC helped a lot, too!

flange
    Free Member

Like the black! And I covert your wheels ScottChegg

ojom
    Free Member

ah ha! that’s you then!

Glad you are enjoying it. Got a bargain there.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

TBC – I was going to send you pics as promised, but you’ve see it now!

Flange-last pair at CRC, knocked down beyond belief and then 10% off! Took a while for them to be sledged to my house by Royal Snail, though.

allthepies
    Free Member

lolz @ the spindly middleburns 🙂

jools182
    Free Member

I was thinking about getting one of these

the angles look a bit steep though

you’ll have to let us know how they are on the steep stuff

swisstony
    Free Member

i bought one too, i went for turqoise, i’ve nearly finished building it so i’ll take some pics later

ScottChegg
    Free Member

jools – what angles look steep? I’ve seen that on this forum before and I don’t get it. The HA is the same as the Nomad, so looks about right.

Amos
    Free Member

Looks very nice and if you are looking to sell the middleburns please mail me! I’ll have them off of you

swisstony
    Free Member

here’s mine, nearly finished

sorry i can’t import from flickr for some reason

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58366789@N05/5385510284/

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Those cheap Yeti's – I done bought one’ is closed to new replies.