Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)
  • Those cheap Vauxhall Zafira's
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

ever driven a zafira…. the seat and the steering wheel and pedals dont even line up you end up sitting slumped to one side.

johndoh
    Free Member

Another thing about the Zafira…

We once had someone collect a table and chairs from us. He limped out of his Zafira and, whilst balancing on one crutch, managed to flip the seats in order to make it fit. It really was that easy. Spectacularly easy.

Possibly not a game-changer but that seating system is very good.

popstar
    Free Member

At work we had few Zafiras for shuttling duties, they were rather allright. Much better than LDV vans we used to have, and still better place to be than in our current new Renault Megane Scenic. But those were diesel automatics racking 30k miles pa.
    Zafiras aren’t aggressive lookers but very practical for family use, I rate them higher than Megane Scenic.

matt_outandabout

ever driven a zafira…. the seat and the steering wheel and pedals dont even line up you end up sitting slumped to one side.

And my Sciatic cannot stand them after 20 mins…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

£10k is a lot of money for a warranty. Because thats what seems to be the selling point – a 1.6 5 speed poverty spec Vauxhall Zafira certainly isn’t.

andypaul99
    Free Member

sorry but a dealer offering £8341 off a car points to the imminent death of a brand…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh, and I forgot to add that its a model that was effectively replaced at least a year ago.

So you’re paying £10k for a warranty and getting a free out of date, boggo spec, 1.6 petrol 5 speed Zafira.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I rate them higher than Megane Scenic.

I hope nobody takes this to mean the Zafira is a good car.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I’ve got an older 1.8 petrol.
    Had it for 5 years and it’s OK.
    good for round town with the family.

Bikes inside aren’t great. Front wheel needs to come off even with the seats forward, ‘cos they slide forward and don’t fold flat.

Longer journeys are a bit thirsty, but overall it’s been very good to us.

hora
    Free Member

sorry but a dealer offering £8341 off a car points to the imminent death of a brand…

Skoda UK offered boggo 1.6 petrol Octavias for 10k new about a year ago (a cancelled taxi deal?).

The Zafira is a run out model- they probably had loads unregged still parked up in storage allover.

No ones claiming they are amazing cars. The Touran aint exactly sparkling and the Altea was ‘ok’ to drive.

I’m test driving a Zafira tonight.

matt_outandabout

I would rather spend my £10k on second hand car of better spec, comfort, practicality and future value.

hora
    Free Member

I’ll see. I’m in two minds. I need a new car soon, its got to be reliable (or have a warranty), be practical and no hassle.

I don’t even use A/C- if the windows mist up I open a window slightly….and my car has a/c fitted as standard.

trail_rat
    Free Member

really what we are seeing here is that small petrol engines in big heavy cars are unpopular.

thus manufacturers are getting lumbered with them.

Wozza
    Free Member

hora: I’m test driving a Zafira tonight.

It’ll be in the classifieds next week. 😉

igm

Trail rat – they’re doing the diesel for another couple of grand ( still surprisingly cheap) if petrol don’t work for people. They are of course pre-reg not new. If you care.

hora
    Free Member

After 3yrs I wonder how much they’ll be worth? 5.5-7k?

igm

Less

trail_rat
    Free Member

3-4k. – quick look at autotrader indicates that before the price drop they are selling for 6k with 40k on the clock at 3 years old – and thats a dealer price with free servicing and warrenty …..

kevmac1962
    Free Member

Hello folks. I’m thinking of buying one of these £10k Zafiras next month, either the 1.6 petrol or the diesel (it’s about £12k). If I buy a Zafira for £10k and then, after 3 years it’s worth £5k (I think that’s doubtful – probably more like £6k), then I’ve lost £5k (£1,667 per year). If I don’t buy a Zafira then I could buy a rival model (Galaxy / Touran etc) for about £20k. After 3 years I will have lost a lot more than £5k – probably more like £8k-10k maybe. Am I right, or am I missing something obvious? Surely it’s not about the percentage depreciation, but the cash depreciation? And if this car is basically a 1-year old model (pre-reg to 2013) isn’t that still a good deal for £10k? The last two cars I’ve bought new (Daewoo Matiz & Hyundai Getz) were both run-out models and I wasn’t aware that I was missing anything!
    I don’t need a fun car, just a car!
    Any advice welcome…..

hora
    Free Member

Buy to keep say 5yrs? I actually don’t think they are bad cars. They aren’t ugly, they aren’t exciting but then again if you bought an Audi you’d suffer depreciation, or if you bought a used one and the turbo (and annual servicing?).

A new proven car for 10k? Show me any new car that isn’t worth 50-60% retained value after 3yrs?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The fact that these bargain Zafiras are still knocking about 7 months after the thread was started tells you all you need to know IMHO.

I reckon that your valuation of a 3 year old ‘bargain’ Zafira is erring on the optimistic side as well.

MadPierre

To contradict all the usual STW experts who don’t actually own one: I’m on my fourth Zafira and have had 1.6, 1.8 petrol and currently have a 1.7 TD.

They have all been great cars – hence why I get another every 3 years!

I have had no major mechanical issues on any of them. The best thing is they are like having a small van when it comes to biking but can switcheroo to carrying a load of people in seconds. I’ve looked at other similar mpvs but price and design have yet to match the Zafira on any I have seen.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I take it back. It seems 3 year old petrol Exclusivs are knocking about at main dealers for £7k so px price would be somewhere between 5 and 6k probably.

I just get my head around a 1.6 petrol 5 speed manual in a Zafira sized bus.

hora
    Free Member

Not so long ago Skoda UK was knocking out 1.6 Octy’s for <10k

finishthat
    Free Member

Dacia Logan ?

downshep

A friend of mine bought one of these 1.6 petrol runout Zafiras, not to replace his 53 plate petrol Zafira, which is still going strong after 100,000 miles but his wife’s Mitsibishi Colt that was falling apart after 4 years. If you need a simple, affordable 7 seater for kiddy ferrying around town, want to avoid 2nd hand risks and don’t mind a basic spec car with a less than sexy badge, these really are a no-brainer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just get my head around a 1.6 petrol 5 speed manual in a Zafira sized bus.

I’ve a 1.6 petrol c-max, so a similar size/power. It only ever feels underpowered when completely laden and trying to go up some of the trickier roads in the yorkshire moors. It’ll happily sit at speeds sufficient to lose your licence on the motorway and acceleration’s never been a problem unless you really have to reach the back of the next traffic jam first.

twoniner
    Free Member

Worth buying to take the back seats out and use as a day/weekend car with the bikes.

dmorts
    tobsters
    Free Member

I’m also interested in a cheap Zafira for lugging family, bikes and house stuff about in. My current car is an Astra, and having only owned Golfs previous to this I have no concerns over Vauxhall build quality. Nothing has gone wrong in 6yrs.

Sure, it isn’t exciting or sexy, but a new car, with a lifetime warranty for sub £10k seems like a good deal… Unless I’m missing something. Plus we do 8k miles pa so petrol is fine with me.

Can what little street cred I have left survIve Zafira ownership though… That is the main question.

hora
    Free Member

Buy a black one?

kimbers

Hmmmmm have been eyeing up used zafiras atoning the 6k mark as we need to expand on the focus 5 hr drive back from the in-laws with 2 kids and a load of presents was enough to convince me

They may not be pretty but look a shit load better than a berlingo or a multipla !

dmorts

Which is bollocks.

Possibly! The 1.6 Zafira seems to depreciate steeply. But if you scroll down the link the 1.8 Zafira appears in the least depreciating cars list.

The current values seen on Autotrader aren’t discounted end of line models bought 3 years ago. Maybe a £10k end of line Zafira would be around £3k after 3 years? In-laws bought a ‘new’ Renault Scenic just before the latest model came out, after 3 years it wasn’t worth a lot at all, hence we have it!

hora
    Free Member

Ah thats the thing CAP/buyers dont say hang on three years ago that was on special offer! Berlingos were knocked out on citroen offers but CAP etc goes on RRP for %??

mountainman

Weve looked at them purely for load capacity,and doing a house renovation,so builders van and bike n teenage taxi .

Here in Eire plenty of 1.6 about as resonable road tax n cheap ,pick up a 2002 for under 1000.euro.

mountainman

Weve looked at them purely for load capacity,and doing a house renovation,so builders van and bike n teenage taxi .

Here in Eire plenty of 1.6 about as resonable road tax n cheap ,pick up a 2002 for under 1000.euro.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Had the 1.6 Active for 4yrs.
    Nothing ever went wrong, huge lifespan on tyres, massive inside.
    BUT 1.6 engine struggles at motorway speeds needing a sixth gear.
    Bench seat doesn’t come out so can compromise load space.
    That’s about it though!

bikemike1968
    Free Member

They are awful things to drive- gutless, mushy brakes, mushy steering, mushy gearchange etc, etc.
    BUT, they are practical and pretty reliable. We get very few problems with the petrol ones, unlike the diesels which have all kinds of issues.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Those cheap Vauxhall Zafira's’ is closed to new replies.