Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Thorny problem
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Every time I go to the room where I keep my bike, it has a flat tire, which appears to be from some sort of small thorn that drops around here.

Currently on Panaracer Gravel Kings, which I really rate as a tire, however the puncturing is starting to piss me off.

I have a set of Marathon Plus 38c, but every time I fit them, I remember why I don’t like them, they feel like I am riding through glue when using them.

I want something that is as puncture proof as the Marathon Plus, as fast rolling as the Gravel Kings 28c, which aren’t going to scare me in the monsoon rains in a few weeks.

Any recommendations? I know the sensible answer is man up and ride the marathons, but I hate them. Every time I do go out with them on I end up turning back pissed off that some unseen force is making me ride even slower than usual.

jam-bo

Tubeless?

kerley
    Free Member

You won’t get anything to match Marathon Plus puncture resistance that rides anything like your gravel kings. I used 700c tyres off road for around 5 years and the closest I could get to Marathon Plus for puncture resistance were Halo Courier Berlin.
    They only go up to 29c but they are considerably lighter than Marathon plus (3-400g for same size) and feel better to ride on but are still no match for a fast rolling road type tyre as they have a bit of treaded on them.

Where I ride it is all gravel/stones and I get a lot of punctures from sharp flint pieces. The thing that has helped on my MTB is going tubeless with just one puncture in 18 months where previously I could expect a couple a month on a variety of tyres I was trying. Not sure if road tubeless gives same results?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Xylene
    Free Member

^^ I was considering pouring some sealant in and seeing if that worked, but at 100PSI I think it might find its way out and squirt in my eye.

^ I am hopefully going to find the perfect tires. I assume the thorns are from our estate, as for two years I have ridden up and down the main road here never once picking up a thorn puncture.

tthew

Continental Sport Contacts are my go-to commuting tyre. Even pretty flipping cheap from Rose in Germany. here

I will admit they’ve changed a bit recently, different tread pattern, don’t know about the carcass, but I’ve been running 32c versions for years, not one puncture in 3000 miles commuting this year gone. I ride past plenty of hedges that get cut too.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

The sensible answer is to go tubeless.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Tubeless (with good amount of sealant).

I get loads of holes from thorns but just never notice until I take the tyre off. Just be careful if there’s a puncture that won’t seal and you stick a tube in. Make sure you remove any thorns still stuck in there! 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Thorny problem’ is closed to new replies.