• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thorns!!!!!!
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Just about every ride locally at the moment ends up with a thorn puncture – tried slime tubes (crap) extra heavy duty downhill tubes (crap) anyone used the kevlar liners? Or any other suggestions? In motorcycle enduro land we have mousses that solve this problem

fr0sty125
    Free Member

DH Tyres or tubeless

simondbarnes

Tubeless

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tubeless.
    Or perhaps change where you are riding, where are you picking up the thorns? Road hedge cutting?

RobHilton
    Free Member

I used to use the kevlar strips, and they’re ok – but no where near as good as tubeless for picking up thorns, fishing hooks and nails.

Counted 22 objects changing worn tyres a few years ago – barely ever got so much as a little spurt of latex & a quick hiss to tell me before self-sealing. Like magic 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

Sunny evening ride this week. Arrived at a gate just before the woods and the front tyre punctured with a loud hiss. Lifted and spun the wheel, hole sealed and off I went. Evening spin unaffected. Go tubeless.

cakefacesmallblock

Used to suffer 1 or 2 punctures a month locally at this time of year. Went tubeless about 3 years back and haven’t had a single puncture issue since.

JoeG
    Free Member

Thorns are the reason that I went tubeless with Stan’s sealant – back in 2005!!! 8)

Muke
    Free Member

As above, I went gheto tubeless a few years ago purely based on the amount of Hawthorn punctures I was getting.The only puncture that I am aware of having was a 2″ cut in the sidewall from a flint.

creamegg
    Free Member

Not had a puncture in years. Why anyone still uses tubes is beyond me. I find tubeless just as easy and takes no longer in my experience so no reason not to

Davesport

I use Stans in the inner tubes on Mrs Davesport’s and my own bikes. We live in an area with a lot of hedgerows that the farmers cut with a flail & at times the roads are covered in the little pests. Same as you, rides at certain times of year were plagued with flat tyres.

One of two things then happen when you get a thorn, it seals & goes unnoticed or it’s attached to a little twig that gets pulled out again. It’s been great…no more punctures 😀 The only downside is that when the tyre eventually has to be removed there’s usually at least a dozen or so thorns through the tyre into the tube.

Don’t ask me about tubeless. I’m not a fan.

D.

chipster

Try tubeless, OP, it’s too much faff not to.

Haze

Not punctured off road since going tubeless 3 years ago, was sceptical but they’ve been brilliant.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thorns!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.