Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Thornielee bike tracks (Scottish borders)
  • alpineharry
    Free Member

Has anyone got any info on the place or how hard it is to find the tracks at thornielee in the borders?

thanks

legend
    Free Member

It’s being felled as we speak. They were getting near the trails a couple of weeks ago, haven’t heard much since.
    The trails are pretty easy to find(if not gone), they all go off one main climb. Strava is your friend

alpineharry
    Free Member

Ah ok, that’s a shame, I’m just passing through on my way to Fort William but might but have a quick blast of the red at Glentress instead.

br
    Free Member

If you were looking at Thornielee, then off-piste at Inners, Golfie or Yair would be a nearer comparison than GT Red…

Northwind

I’ve only been the once, it was pretty easy to find trails though, with a bit of tyreprint tracking. Great riding, though I remember we did one that started out very mellow, crossed a fire road and then Shit Got Real and my mate ended up going down most of it on his arse 😆 So it was a wee bit deceptive let’s say. Non-easy.

<edit- responses since I started, what a bummer re felling, hope the trails survive>

alpineharry
    Free Member

It all depends on timing really, if i got to innerleithen about 11 then, 2 hours there, i’d be at fort william at 5 maybe so might just go up to fort william, set up camp and then ride around there somewhere

bigjim

Yeah being felled now, I suspect they have got to the furthest ‘right’ trail. I think some of the lower trails should be unaffected though, but could be wrong. Walking path is closed until September for felling so they have a while to go yet. Shame as they are amazing trails!

alpineharry
    Free Member

On that note then, if anyone fancies a quick spin around golfie or glentress tomorrow just fire me an email. 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Some of the best stuff I’ve ridden, such a steep twisty laugh. How much are they felling? Will it all be open land again. Gutted if it is!

legend
    Free Member

Believe it’s all being clear felled 🙁

coogan
    Free Member

Shitsticks. Ah well, will only take a few months for it to all grow back eh?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The boys were riding this past weekend and no trails had yet been affected. Thorny is my favourite place in the Tweed Valley, my type of riding – steep, tight, techy, trialsy, wild. If it gets lost to us I’ll be gutted.

If I were you, knowing what I know, I’d bloody well go! The trails are all on strava. You climb up the road from the car park, staying on the main forest road as it snakes up the hill. Just as it starts to roll down again there’s a footpath on the left. This is the main access to most of the trails. Once you turn in and start the push/ride up you can go right at the fork or straight on. Easy to find stuff.

The left hand side of the hill as you look up has the most technical stuff. Big kudos to Greg, Graeme and the boys for building some excellent trails on that there hill. I hope they don’t lose heart if things get lost. If the place were closer to me I’d build a spiders web of trails on every inch of it as it’s the perfect hill for trails (rock, rock and more rock, some mud here and there, then rock).

onehundredthidiot

2hours from Innerleithen to fort William? That’s ambitious.

It’s about 160 miles, at best

Edit: end of day mis-read and can do time numbers. Good idea crack on, if it’s not felled.

mikeep
    Free Member

mmmmmm……..thornielee. Just don’t do the far left trail (as you look up the hill) you’ll get sticks in your eyes.

coogan
    Free Member

I may have to make a wee trip this weekend if trails open!

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

@legend do you know if any of the thorny and cademuir trails have survived the recent felling ? thanks tam

coogan
    Free Member

Last I heard about the Cademuir forrest was they were aware of the trails and were working around them to avoid damaging them. When felling work happened at Innerleithen the trails remained intact. So fingers crossed!

yacoby
    Free Member

The ones on the left hand side were still there yesterday

pigyn
    Free Member

Cademuir – they have totally clear felled the two ‘off the top’ not a trace, I couldn’t even figure out where the tighter one came down while standing on what used to be the exit. Everything below the upper fire road is fine, and riding great. Seems like a lot of riding places getting done at the moment, I guess they are all just the same age!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

deertrackdoctor, see my post above.

Cademuir, locals have been up clearing stuff at the top to try and resurrect rideable lines. No idea how they’re progressing.

rickon
    Free Member

Yeah being felled now

I thought they’d finished up near Clovenfords for now.

bigjim

Anyone been in the last few days? Just wondering how far they’ve got with a view to a ride this week.

onehundredthidiot

Drove past today. Still pretty tree-y looking.

bigjim

treemendous

Northwind

Deciduously good news that

coogan
    Free Member

Was there today. It’s all still there and the trails all fine. Some felling has happened further over, but nothing on any of the trails. The only downside of today was I was riding like an absolute bellend, crashed 6 times and decided to stop before I broke myself…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Thornielee bike tracks (Scottish borders)’ is closed to new replies.