Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Thorn in thumb, and going septic, who to ask for help from
  • project
    Free Member

Basicly hit a thorn bush a few weeks ago, and a thorn went into my thumb nail, a bit of pain for a few days, but then it seemed to be moving up as the nail grew, last couple of days,after digging the thorn out, my thumb has swollen, and yellow pus can be seen behind nail, its now painful,red and throbbing.

Seeing as its Bank holiday, and all the surgeries are closed, do i go to the NHS drop in centre, a and e, or leave till wednesday.

DIY amputation is not a viable option. 😯

yunki
    Free Member

that lion in the story got a mouse to help him didn’t he..?

druidh
    Free Member

Drop in / Minor Injuries if nearby, otherwise go to A&E and be prepared to wait around.

DickBarton

The makers of the Dremel, that’ll sort it right out!

zimbo
    Free Member

its now painful,red and throbbing

…if that subsides and you start to feel a murderous desire for love, I think you’re turning into a Smiths’ song.

carlos
    Free Member

Paperclip and a lighter will relieve pressure and throbing

Or NHS drop in

ian martin
    Free Member

Boil up a Stanley knife blade and cut out any thorn fragments and manky skin and soak in alcohol.
    Oh and mtfu! 😉

Ambrose

I enjoy lancing infected swelings. Am I odd?

robbo
    Free Member

Go and see your Mum

jruk
    Free Member

+1 for the hot paperclip. I had blood build up behind a nail and two gps told me to let it out. Shouldn’t hurt if you don’t slip.

boxelder

My mate used a very fine drill it, on an electric drill. Worked great until the nail carried on climbing up the nail and it nearly went right through his thumb…..

Kevevs
    Free Member

sorry mate, are you serious? you’re asking on here how to get a thorn out yer thumb, that’s right yeah? that’s what you’re askin yeah? have you asked your mum? I’ve got a grazed bottom yeah, from riding my bike a bit too much yeah, can you lick it yeah make it betterrz.. troll for tea yeah babes lovely.. Yeah?

Jamie
    Free Member

I preferred it with the swears…

Kevevs
    Free Member

sorry that sounds unkind and pisstaky (which is fair ;)), dig the fecker out, eat your thumbbits.

mrdestructo

I hate going to A&E nowadays with blood infections, puss and other sports related injuries. I feel embarrassed to sit amongst so many people who are having a good time, recounting the 12 pints they drank, the pizza and kebab afterwards, the pavement they vomited all over. And that’s just the girls……

Kevevs
    Free Member

Shuttup. OP has a splinter. OMG!

johnners
    Free Member

Go for a ride on the road and see if the thorn is extracted by the draught from motorists passing excessively close?

allthepies
    Free Member

A&E for a thorn in a finger ? 😯

No wonder the NHS is farked.

leffeboy

Don’t have any friends called Androcles?

Sandwich

Drop-in minor injuries for the infection, unless you know a friendly nurse. That’s you off the booze for a week.
    For those not paying attention most if not all the thorn is out, if I read the OP correctly.

qwerty
    Free Member

If your in sepsis then to to A&E pronto. If you have an infection then if you’ve removed the cause purge any remaining pus and soak in salt water regularly & monitor it. It throbs because the swelling is constricted by the nail, try some paracetamol. You could try a Minor Injuries Unit.

jet26
    Free Member

As per all the others if infection under nail then needs draining – hot paper clip and make a hole in the nail. If you don’t want to do it yourself go to minor injuries or a/e.

Needs draining though

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Basicly hit a thorn bush a few weeks ago, and a thorn went into my thumb nail, a bit of pain for a few days

I have never known a splinter (of which I have had many) under a finger/thumb nail not to go septic. Consequently I would never ever leave them, and I would take the same attitude with thorns.

If you can’t them get out then don’t be embarrassed to seek help. The consequences can be more serious than you might imagine – my grandfather who was a top chef lost one and a half fingers in his right hand due to an infection caused by a fish bone, and had to relearn how to write with his left hand. Although admittedly that was a long time ago and we probably now have much more effective antibiotics which might have dealt better with the situation, but you get the picture – don’t ignore it.

project
    Free Member

Kevevs – Member
    sorry mate, are you serious? you’re asking on here how to get a thorn out yer thumb, that’s right yeah? that’s what you’re askin yeah? have you asked your mum? I’ve got a grazed bottom yeah, from riding my bike a bit too much yeah, can you lick it yeah make it betterrz.. troll for tea yeah babes lovely.. Yeah?

1, the thorn is out, its left a hole in the nail,

2,my mum died of a heart attack, so i cant ask her,

3, as for the grazd bum im sure there are lots of websites that will offer support for yu to find fellow blokes to lickit better, or perhaps rimming was what you had in mind.

Anyway it still hurts and is quite red, off to miner injuries clinic, hope its not to small a job for them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

its exactly what minor injuries clinics are for – to stop people clogging up A&E with minor injuries such as septic thorns.

Muke
    Free Member

mrdestructo

TandemJeremy – its exactly what minor injuries clinics are for – to stop people clogging up A&E with minor injuries such as septic thorns.

We have a walk-in place in my city. They are closing it down and moving it to the district hospital. Be difficult to decide which door to go in after they do that. I’ve used the place twice now, once to get drugs quickly for sciatica to get me through a few days hard graft, and then once when I cut myself stupidly, to get antibiotics for the infection, where I actually turned up falling unconscious and the drugs didn’t kick in quick enough, with me left with cryptic advice from the centre as to when to hand myself into A&E if the drugs didn’t kick in quick enough. It ended with me being driven unconscious to the A&E. The fear of going to A&E with a ‘silly’ problem caused me to suffer. Personally, if it’s not alcohol related, I say don’t feel there’s a problem turning up at A&E if you’ve got a problem.

docstar
    Free Member

Do a google search for poultice, its a home remedy my granny woul’ve suggested, I’d get the swiss army knife out and get tore into it 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

According to google a poultice can be used as an excellent remedy for a lame horse.

Was your granny a native american btw ?

SD-253
    Free Member

Grazed my elbow when I came off my bike mid January. Became painful February but no sign of infection. Became inflamed and inflammation went into hand. Had a proper Popeye forearm, huge it was. Went to hospital gave me a weeks antibiotics didn’t quite work rung GP gave me a prescription over phone for another weeks. Went to see them when left knee & ankle became inflamed and same again with shin. Joints burning hot. No sign of infections in blood. Doctor “it should not do that if it is an infection,(jump sides) stay on antibiotics and I will organize a rheumatologist appointment”. IE no idea what was wrong. Went on Rugby tour playing Hooker. First game ok Sunday game elbow to painful and left leg inflamed again had to go off. Neck hurting all night (hooker so not unusual but wrong pain). Painful on coach back no matter how much beer I had!! 4 days later pain in neck unbearable taking huge amounts of Diclofenic (prescription anti inflammatory) about 10 times prescribed amount called ambulance as pain to much and obviously unnatural. Hospital threw away antibiotics and gave me huge dose of steroids (not anabolic) 14 a day reducing by 1 each day. Took masses of X-rays of all joints nothing there and of course more blood tests (negative again). Steroids reduced pain significantly could get some sleep. After 4 day in hospital took me off steroids nurses (scum bags) would only give me 2 paracetamol every 6 hours. Pain extreme again in neck made worse if I lay down. Walked the corridors all night nurses moaned if I walked past nurse’s station. After a few more days pain in the neck eased slightly but right knee, which has a lot of wear and tear damage and needs another ACL reconstruction had inflamed. Wanted to do an MRI on neck but couldn’t fit me in. Sent home after 8 days appointment to be arranged for MRI. Knee became very swollen and unable to move off sofa without extreme pain. Got some pain relief doctor prescribed Todmadol and Paracetamol every 6 hours. Rung round village for crutches and for someone to go to town to fetch prescription. Peeing in bucket eating 1 meal a day cooked by home help organized by doctor. Went to rheumatology appointment by hospital car absolute agony hour + journey. Very bad luck both the junior doctor and consultant were Muslims. Asked me if I drunk alcohol..yes 2 pints a day average… “you have Gout”. Staggering, had wrong symptoms by a long way. Aspirated my knee i.e. stuck a needle in sucked out tons of clear fluid. Now at this point if I had an infection it would have showed up in the fluid for certain. Gave me a large injection of steroids. Went home, latter found out that next Rheumatology appointment was 2 months time?? Got much worse arm neck painful and knee agony. Doctor insisted that Rheumatology appointment brought forward immediately. Went back again still by car despites being promised ambulance. Driver of transport car was not happy taking me as it was so difficult to get in car. Not got Gout doctor Indian laughed at Gout suggestion. “We don’t know what you have there are 22 types of Arthritis What’s left are treated with Steroids”. Got prescription from hospital for 8 steroids a day. Eased pain over weekend but did nothing for inflammation. That’s was on Friday, Monday had long awaited MRI outpatient appointment. Should I go? Pain still bad. Driver rung me up to tell me he was picking me up but did not want to as he thinks I should be in ambulance. Talked him into it. Said he would ring me 10 mins from my house so I could get to the front door. Bugger! clocks went forward so was still in bed when he rang. Decided not to cancel and he waited for me. Put on right mankey smelly clothes but only a quick MRI scan. 8am appointment they told transport to wait, as I would be 45 mins maximum. Had MRI waited in wheelchair for 30 mins asked technician why. Said they wanted me to have more x-rays of neck and knee?? Had these already weeks ago told them so, “need more”. Half hour after still waiting to go. Told them transport waiting for me, “no there not we sent them away you are going to A&E they will explain all”. In A&E constantly getting different doctors (teaching hospital) asking me same questions “been abroad” “been feeling ill” “lost any feeling in any part of your body”. Constantly touching me all over asking can you feel that, and that, and that!! Staggeringly beautiful doctor asked if she can put fingers up my bum with her students watching “can you feel that” OH yes yes yes yes keep going (only joking). 6pm called head A&E nurse over what **** is going on. “I will sort them out” should have told you by now. Group of doctor come to see me “We have been trying to get Nottingham Hospital Spinal consultants to look at MRI scan but they are having a technical problem you have a severe infection in your spine in 2 vertebra at the top of your spine and the infection is leaking out (in the form of paste not unlike toothpaste) around the inside of your spinal column near your spinal cord”. I am in Boston hospital Lincolnshire by the way. Found a bed for me cancel Steroids AGAIN took 6 days to tell me why But kept me on 2 Todomadol and 2 paracetamol every 6 hours and top up of Morphine anytime I wanted it and a antibiotic drip. Next morning doctor came round and said “we have a plan” While they were telling me it the ambulance drivers arrived with stretcher to take me to Nottingham Spinal unit? A further aspiration of the knee revealed an infection (honest!) which they grew and discovered it was Streptococcus (nasty bugger). Spent 5 weeks on a antibiotic drip changed 4 time a day and an oral antibiotics. Lots of MRI scans can’t use a compass anymore (just joking). Steriods were stopped (2nd time) because they feed infections. Left hospital 5 weeks ago with 3 weeks worth of antibiotics and 2 pairs of crutches (elbow and long john Silver shoulder ones). Knee still swollen not to painfull. When it goes down will need new Knee (according to Rhumetalogist) as badly worn and bacteria has done serious damage. Also need another reconstruction of Cruciate Ligament. Good news daughters are paying for once a week cleaner and home help comes everyday and gets me in shower (showers over the bath) they wash me all over (not necessary I just like it) make me breakfast, make my bed and clean dishes. I have read the contents of the mobile library and order new books from them online (a bit of an exaggeration). Friends take me to pub occasionally and luckily I have 16 gallons of cider on the kitchen table I made in November. Hopefully I will be able to straighten and bend my knee sufficiently to cycle again (need to be able to put weight on leg first) With only one bus a week and no driving license (Epilepsy) I was kind of dependent on my bikes, never mind the pleasure I get from them. PS better story than thorn in the finger. PPS doctors have no idea how the infection got in my spine or anywhere else for that matter nor why did not show up on blood tests??

allthepies
    Free Member

😯

hairyscary

I’ve just grazed my knee…….*panics*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jesus Christ…it’s like Count Zero on steroids three posts up ^^^

SD-253
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Jesus Christ…it’s like Count Zero on steroids three posts up ^^^

Don’t get it ???

robbo
    Free Member

Shit and I thought my story was bad SD-253. I have/had an infection in my hip which wasn’t diagnosed for 10 weeks and ate my hip joint away. I currently have no hip and am waiting for the infection to clear before they put in a hip replacement. Soul destroying when they don’t know what’s wrong but once they knew the NHS has been brilliant for me and my head is much better now there is a plan. Docs have no idea how I got the infection in my joint either. Good luck.

SD-253
    Free Member

robbo – Member

Surely your problem is worse? I can still hop around. I am annoyed with the nurses because if they had given me some decent pain relief I would not have stressed the knee so much and the infection might not of taking up residence there. By the way the ward was actually a cancer ward poor bastards having them for nurses. I have another MRI this month last one showed a “shadow” but that might be there for months according to doctors. Also missed out what the spinal consultant said “if the infection had got to spinal cord you would probably have lost the use of legs and arms”

stealthcat

Going back to the OP, my mother had much the same thing, and asked me to look at it (obviously I know so much about minor injuries by now…). I told her to go to the doctor the next day, and the next thing I heard was that she’d spent the following night in hospital on a drip because she’d got blood poisoning and if she’d left it much longer it would have been fairly serious.

I’d go for the walk-in clinic…

robbo
    Free Member

SD – rather hip replacement than knee replacement any day for me thanks.

Apparently these bone infections like to hide on rough surfaces so worn joints are more prone to it. Certainly recommend asking for blood tests if you have any sort of unusual joint pain as that wad the only sign with me (and some weightloss).

OP certainly needs to get it checked if it doesn’t clear after being cleaned out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SD – its not the nurses fault the analgesia you got -it is prescribed by a doctor and only dispensed by the nurses

project
    Free Member

Well a short update, went to minor injuries,met a lovely lady DR, who was quite concerned, said it was a bad infection, prescribed anti biotics, for next 7 days, and its still hurting, may have to have part of nail removed she said to get at puss under nail.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Thorn in thumb, and going septic, who to ask for help from’ is closed to new replies.