Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Thomson Stem Warranty?
  • pk-ripper
    Free Member

What’s that like then? Just went to one of my bikes that I haven’t ridden for well over a year as am cleaning out my spare room, and the Thomson has two magnificent cracks on one side of the steerer.

I’ve no idea where the receipt is, or how long I’ve had that particular one, so am wondering if there’s any warranty on it, or it’s a case of bin and get another?

IWH
    Free Member

There’s no chance at all that this happened while the bike wasn’t being ridden? You know, by someone using the bike as an expensive drying rack or just being clumsy?

I’ve never, ever in 14 years seen a Thomson bit fail so I’m afraid you’re probably going to have to ask their importer nicely where you stand.

Good luck though!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sootyandjim
    Free Member

Who is the importer?
    Is it the same people who import Yeti?

IWH
    Free Member

Jim Walker & Co.
    13 Apex Park, Apex Way
    Hailsham
    East Sussex, England BN27 3JU
    0870-752-8777 – phone
    01323-845849 – fax

twohats
    Free Member

I’ve never, ever in 14 years seen a Thomson bit fail

I had the faceplate on my correctly torqued up X4 stem, crack right across where it says “Thomson”. I noticed it before it failed completely and my LBS replaced it without me having a receipt.

IWH
    Free Member

I wasn’t saying it doesn’t happen TwoHats, just that I’d never seen it happen.

brant
    Free Member

I wasn’t saying it doesn’t happen TwoHats, just that I’d never seen it happen.

Well, yer have now.
    Bet they’ll claim “over tightening.

Are they the stock bolts in there, out of interest?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Oh and PK, lose some weight and stop trying to claim for something your lardy, Clinique addicted body caused.
    ;o)

pk-ripper
    Free Member

It’s not my fault I’m a really fat b@stard Jim, it’s glandular isn’t it? The fridge gland or something.

hora
    Free Member

The only failure/reason I could think of for that would be a tree/bar interface, fall off of bike rack or over tightening of steerer top cap. Now that would take some torque. PK I recommend not stroking one off for a couple of days, just til we rule out your hand power…

singlespeedstu

I’ve also had a Thomson faceplate fail.

Noticed it on returning from Verbier.

LBS replaced it no problem.

MrNutt
    Free Member

lightening strike?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Bet they’ll claim “over tightening.

Are they the stock bolts in there, out of interest

Brant, yup, standard bolts in there. I’ll dispute the overtightening if they bring that to bear, purely as it’s a carbon steerer on some SID WC’s in there, which would be totally f’cked otherwise.

Bizarrely, it wasn’t like that when I last looked about 3 months ago, and the bike’s not been ridden for well over a year – I’m thinking it’s something to do with temperature and differential expansion of the materials.

singlespeedstu

looking at the pictures it could have been caused by the extra weight of all that house dust on it…… 😉

pk-ripper
    Free Member

when the womens forum is up and running i’ll advertise for a cleaner on there…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Hora:or over tightening of steerer top cap

all that would do is pull the star nut up or shear the cap bolt before causing the stem any grief.
    i would also expect to see some deformation of the carbon spacers before the stem would fail.

did anything fall on the bars while you were doing DIY? a heavy shelf or fertility mask?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Gary, nothing did that I know of, and given the sort of weight and associated forces that it could reasonably expect to see whilst riding, that would be one hell of a fertility mask I’d be owning. Sure, my little swimmers might be rubbish for all I know, but none of this dreamcatcher shite in my flat.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm last year (Feb 11th North Downs infact)I remember overtightening my top cap and sheering off the bolt/ and complete centre of the star nut before the start of the ride- remember that?!! Then I had to start the ride with just the side/pinch bolts holding the steerer. I know the top caps only preload but still 🙄

Ante, have you been riding round your flat with one of your lovely ladies sat naked on your bars whilst you both swig from a bottle of Pernod?

Just checking….cover all the questions when the Distributor calls!

Smee
    Free Member

Serves you right for buying cheap crap. should have got a ssc stem instead. 😉

pk-ripper
    Free Member

ah you see though hora, when you did that, the stem was still fine, which proves the top cap should give way first…

pk-ripper
    Free Member

any of the weekday bods seen this before?

hora
    Free Member

At the very least Thomson would want that back for research purposes?
    Ante- got any carbon seat posts that you want to sell?

richc
    Free Member

No, however Thomson warranty is supposed to very good, drop them an email as I expect they would be interested in seeing that

pk-ripper
    Free Member

have sent them the pictures – I’m guessing they’re not awake yet though, given they’re in Georgia.

dooge
    Free Member

Hora, why not shim it and buy a Superstar components Rubinetto carbon post in 27.2? They only have 300mm left so depends on length too but at £25 for a carbon post, sounds pretty good!

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Had a broken Thomson Elite post in from a customer 6 months back. The rear lug that the bolt fixes into snapped off & they wouldnt replace it without a receipt.

J

pk-ripper
    Free Member

The nice people at Thomson have said I can have a new one. :thumb:

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Thomson Stem Warranty?’ is closed to new replies.