Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • thomson seatpost
  • bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Hello guys + girls.Just bought a thomson seatpost and discovered it has no seat hight markings on it.I was wondering what other people do to make sure you get the right hight after a downhill run?.Tipex or marker would just rub off.Any ideas ?.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Scratch it!

trailmonkey

+1

Kahurangi

So you folks would pay lots of squids for a “40% stronger” Thomson seat post. Then put a flippin scratch in it at the height where it’s most likely to snap (bending moment greatest) and likely to become a site of crack propagation? No wonder stuff breaks “just riding along”.

I just guess and get it right some of the time. I would like to know if there’s a decent answer to this problem, short of tying a length of string to the saddle or some gentle marking on the post.

chvck
    Free Member

I also scratch it; I have never, ever broken a seat post. I suppose that you could put a hole in it big enough for a ball bearing and stick a spring behind it, this would then slot into the hole on the seatpost tube that’s on a lot of frames. This would probably screw over the seat post even more though

pypdjl
    Free Member

Only a light scratch, I’m not suggesting taking a hacksaw to it!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just ride it, you’d get a little mark at the normal height anyway. It’s how I reset mine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I just know how high it is when I stand next to the bike – just above my hip bone

trailmonkey

So you folks would pay lots of squids for a “40% stronger” Thomson seat post. Then put a flippin scratch in it at the height where it’s most likely to snap (bending moment greatest) and likely to become a site of crack propagation? No wonder stuff breaks “just riding along”.

AFAIK, the paintwork isn’t part of the overall strength of the post.

djglover
    Free Member

what TJ said, bottom of saddle rests on my hip bone, but I am very skinny

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Use a Zip tie to mark the point you use when the seat post is lowered for d/h bits.
    You should be able to estimate the 2 – 3 inches you prob drop when raising it again ?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

? Ive always just lifted it back up and you just know where it goes, 5 or 10mm wont make any difference really. Excuse my ignorance, but aren’t you looking for a solution to a problem that doesnt exist?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

RE:neverfastenuff
    Good idea.Will try that for this sundays ride on high street,lakes.Thanks

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

We can now modify my zip tie idea by using the technique below.

I.E, zip tie around seat post but before you tighten the Zip tie drop a second zip tie so it drops down the length of seat post… tighten the first zip tie tightly clamping the second zip tie and cut to length… genious or what ??

Blurboy
    Free Member

Get a seat dropper – scratching does work though

clubber
    Free Member

If you’re really worried about fatigue (and I never have been) then just mark the post at the side where it’s a lot less loaded.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

RE:blurboy
    was thinking about an adj.seatpost but the reliability issues botherd me.Not to mention the cost.It would of been the last straw between me and the wife after the money i spent on my new steed!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘thomson seatpost’ is closed to new replies.