Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • thomson post help can’t even get saddle level
  • karnali
    Free Member

so my eagerly awaited layback thomson post (layback) arrived toady, put on sadle fitted into soul frame and cannot even get the saddle to sit level (parallel to ground) Before it gets there the top piece of the clamp is tight onto the bottom.

Any suggestions as i don’t want to ride around with aose up saddle

thanks

racing_ralph
    Free Member

maybe you don’t need a laybask

steelfan
    Free Member

I had the same problem. Check the seat rail clamp mine was the wrong way round. Even though it looks the same it is slightly different.

karnali
    Free Member

steel the top section of the clamp or the loose section thatsits in the clamp.

I have tried the top clamp section, the post is marked to tilt to 24 or 25 degrees but i ant get it much past 16

steelfan
    Free Member

Im pretty sure it was the bottom section

steelfan
    Free Member

I dont have it to hand at the moment

steelfan
    Free Member

I remember now turn the whole clamp assemly around on the post. The post is ever so slightly different front to back where the bolts go through.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Sounds like the top section of the clamp needs spun round 180 degrees, try that and see what happens.

Gordymac

MrNutt
    Free Member

have you a flat front tyre?

Onzadog
    Free Member

There are actually two types of clamp for the Thompson post. I had this issue when I swapped from Flite saddles to Specialized. I needed new head kits. Depending on the angle of your rails, this might be your answer.

karnali
    Free Member

ok tried every combination and sill no more than 18 degrees, onza where did you get your clamp kit from?

ta

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think I had to go direct to Jim Walker for one of them and got the other from a local bike shop. If I remember correctly, the original posts came with clamp that was symetrical (would fit either way around without issue). The new post come with a directional head that can be run the other way around. It would therefor mimic the plane of the two bolt holes on the post. Would that suit your needs?

I’ve had a quick nose around the garage for one of them but couldn’t find them. They’re about somewhere in there though.

karnali
    Free Member

would be great i have a symetrical one need the other one if you have it and want rid

martin_varey@yahoo.com

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you have a symetrical one, it sounds like it’s one of the early posts. The sort that worked well with heavily angled rails like the Flite.

I’m now using the offset clamp as the rails on my Alias saddle are pretty much parallel to the top of the saddle.

If you need the offset clamp, you’ll need to try a local Thomson stockist or Jim Walker but it should sort your problem. I think they will range between minus 7 and plus 29 degrees I think

crikey
    Free Member

…or just go to Halfords and buy a seatpost that works….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘thomson post help can’t even get saddle level’ is closed to new replies.