Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Thomson Elite Covert – thoughts?
  • yoshimi

Anyone run one of these – what do you think?

Fancy one over a Reverb but I don’t know anyone that has one, so no actual recommendations.

martinhutch

Very nice. But it’s loooong. Check you’ve got enough space in your frame to fit it at the right height.

honourablegeorge

There seem to be a lot of folks on here who have had issues with Thomson posts, some having had multiple cartridges replaced – and seems a high proportion of problems for a post that isn’t as popular as the reverb, etc.

Woold put me off.

Alex

I have one (bought 2nd hand from Martin ^^ here). I’ve also had Reverb’s and the KS Lev Integra’s. So where I think it’s better than those is:

– super smooth. Really solid action up and down, feels totally bulletproof.
    – lovely quality, very well put together and nicely engineered, especially the cable attachment
    – I run mine fully internal and prefer the non hydro cable. Again a very smooth action but I use a 3rd party trigger. Never fitted the thomson one but it looks a bit like the KS one and that was fine. The trigger is very nice tho. Much prefer it to the reverb button
    – It is LONG… both in terms of what’s under the collar and what’s above it. About 10mm longer above than my KS so I have it slammed in the frame. Luckily there’s a lot of seat tube to stuff the rest in, but you need to check it’ll fit.
    – It might be a bit heavier than the RS/KS.

I wouldn’t pay £400 for one, but if it was the same price as a KS / RS, I’d choose it over those two.

Alex

To @HG’s point, not sure how long Martin had it, I’ve put about 300km/8 rides on it. No issues so far and a couple of grubby ones so shall see how it lasts longer term,

martinhutch

^I had it for about five months, 1000 miles or so with zero problems, including a fair bit of Dales muck January-March. Only sold it because I needed to lower my saddle height a tad but had reached maximum insertion in my frame.

I did have a 27.2 version on a different frame that failed a couple of years ago, but was replaced with no fuss. I don’t think any dropper is immune from failures.

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s two in our house. It’s a lovely looking post and has never failed catastrophically.

However, the standard lever eats cables (we switched to Fox 1x). Both have been back for play in the keyways. And one of them has been back twice more, once for sounding dry and gritty after a handful if rides and then for sagging.

The returns procedure is easy and quick enough, I just wish I didn’t have to know that.

Also, you can’t get into them to service the sliding components which is frustrating.

My next dropper will be a reverb. I don’t think it’s a better post but I can access tools and spares so can keep it running without having to send it away.

yoshimi

Hmmm – bit mixed then. I suppose knowing it is cable activated, I was hoping to hear works like a dream, nothing to go wrong etc.

Can pick one up from Winstanleys for £290, but now I’m not convinced it’s worth the premium over a Reverb -Hmmm again

Thanks for the replys guys!

mactheknife

Onzadog – Member
    There’s two in our house. It’s a lovely looking post and has never failed catastrophically.

However, the standard lever eats cables (we switched to Fox 1x). Both have been back for play in the keyways. And one of them has been back twice more, once for sounding dry and gritty after a handful if rides and then for sagging.

The returns procedure is easy and quick enough, I just wish I didn’t have to know that.

Also, you can’t get into them to service the sliding components which is frustrating.

My next dropper will be a reverb. I don’t think it’s a better post but I can access tools and spares so can keep it running without having to send it away.

You are having no luck buddy with your biking kit. What did you replace your RFX’s with ??

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yeah, Sat there for a while with my head in my hands wondering if a new hobby was needed!

We’re both on Ibis Mono HD3s and really very pleased with them.

Could have been worse, could have got the Easton/RaceFace droppers.

scuttler

I’ve had one for a couple of years on an Orange Five. It’s still slick as a slick thing with regular rides all year round. I’m about 11.5 stone / 75 kg and recently add a ‘dirt flap’ (http://bentleycomponents.co.uk/dirt_20832.html) to keep cack off it, but only in the last six months.

Maintenance wise I’ve changed the cable once a few weeks back (ten minute job) and I put Brunox fork lube on it before or after (if I can be arsed) most rides just to keep everything slick. That’s all I or anyone else has done with it.

The thumb lever is less than perfect from a design/use perspective but I’m used to it and I do like the idea of cable actuation over hydraulics. Not sure if they’ve made it any better.

There’s no play, un-commanded movement etc and frankly I think it’s ace.

honourablegeorge

Fox Transfer from Ubyk would be my choice. Black one is functionally and internally identical to the more expensive kashima

tmb467
    Free Member

Got a covert on the big bike and a fox on the hardtail. Thompson is more refined especially when it’s extending. Both work well (there was an initial problem with the covert but the service was excellent and it’s been great since then)

Onzadog
    Free Member

One and only Transfer I’ve ridden died. It was only two rides old and had play in it already. Comes up with a right THUNK as well.

mattbee

Got 2 non covert. One is an early one & has had 4 new cartridges under warranty & has still developed the same fault of not fully extending.
    The other is much newer & has been fine for 6 months so far.
    I use a converted XTR front shifter as I don’t like the stock lever.
    Absolutely love the light action and the lack of play, service from distributor is good if you need them.
    Have a Reverb as a spare post but I don’t really like the feel of it.

chestrockwell

Fox Transfer from Ubyk would be my choice.

That price is without lever so no cheaper than elsewhere?

I had a Thomson external and it was ace. Much better built than a Reverb or Command and mine never went wrong. Still faultless on my pals bike.

martinhutch

If you’re thinking of shelling out around 300 for a Thomson, you should consider the Bikeyoke Revive. Really impressed with mine – plus it’s 160 drop rather than 150.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Thomson Elite Covert – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.