Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thomson dropper post sticking
  • bigyim
    Free Member

I’ve had my dropper post for a while but last cold wet muddy ride it has started to stick. It seems to go down and comes back up but only half way then you have to pull it back to the top.
    Anyone have any experience in stripping or re greasing their posts ? Any advice needed! I know I should send it off but I’m skint after Xmas

mattbee

Failed cartridge. Happened to mine twice, although it was only the last cm or so.
    Not user serviceable so it’s off to iRide for a service unfortunately.

bigyim
    Free Member

Mattbee what was their service like? Any other options for service other than those guys

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattbee

They are the Uk importer, no idea if anyone else has access to parts.
    Service was pretty good, Oli there who deals with it is a good guy. I had the full service done so £90 and got new cartridge, bushes, collar & ended up with a new upper post as it was scored below the seal. Only the lower post, clamp and lever are the original. Rest all new, not bad for £90.
    That cartridge failed & was replaced under warranty. Been fine since.
    Both times turnaround was about a week.

boltonjon

I’ve had the same happen to two of mine now – the 2nd one is back under warranty – less than 4 months since it failed last

They were a little slow the last time but hoping they are quicker this time

They’re a long way behind SRAM in turn around time but its a much nicer seatpost and a lot more reliable than a Reverb

martinhutch

Matt – how much of that work was just classed as ‘normal service’, and how much was warranty-type failures?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can’t help but think that it must be possible to disassemble and clean/regrease sliding components, even if you can’t get into the cartridge. Someone somewhere must have done it.

warpcow
    Free Member

Someone somewhere must have done it.

Bindun (but in foreign):
    http://happymtb.org/forum/read.php/1/2857541

The google-translation is actually pretty decent, though.

mattbee

Minecwas second hand so I had to pay for all of it. The bush and top cap replacement I had done as I thought I may as well since they had it but the cartridge would most likely have been under warranty if I was the original owner, I’d imagine.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers warpcow

boltonjon

Just had a warranty repair from Thompson returned in less than 2 weeks – bravo Thompson – thoroughly impressed – quicker than Sram 🙂

johnny5
    Free Member

who is the best peson for servicing thomson droppers in the uk? (yorkshire)

mattbee

iRide are the importer so probably them. Full service inc cartridge & bushes etc is £90.
    Mine has now been back 4 times for the same cartridge failure.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thomson dropper post sticking’ is closed to new replies.