Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Thomson cranks
  • doof_doof
    Free Member

These make the Hope cranks look positively stunning.
    Remind anyone else of old Truvative’s?

I had higher hopes for the setback post too

Onzadog
    Free Member

Oh very dear.

JoeG
    Free Member

Hmmm… 😐

cynic-al
    Free Member

It is a shame they look crap when looks are the ONLY aspect that’s genuinely different about these products.

c_klein87

they look rubbish! the layback post just looks a bit cheap, hmmm not sure Thomson, could have tried harder

Jamie
    Free Member

Always a bit disappointing when companies, that have had a while to assess the competition and design something better, then come out with something that looks like this.

Again. Shimano Deore looks nicer.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

seatpost is terrible, looks like a 90’s kalloy job

honourablegeorge

cynic-al – Member
    It is a shame they look crap when looks are the ONLY aspect that’s genuinely different about these products.

The cranks are keronite coated, instead of anodised.

No, I don’t care either.

faustus

As the saying goes, er, you can’t keronite coat a turd.

wwaswas

you can’t keronite coat a turd.

The Op’s pic seems to imply otherwise.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Is there a link? I can’t find anything else?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Thanks!

TooTall
    Free Member

I thought Thomson were liked because their stuff just worked? My black Thomson seatpost and black Thomson stem are just black with their logo. They do a good job.
    Is there a Thomson range I’ve not seen that is all glitter and hip 80s logos and colours?

D0NK

this is a wind up shirley? looks like cheap tat.

AlexSimon

I think the seatpost looks quality.

Maybe this pic shows it better:

Can’t really tell on the cranks, but it seems as though Thomson in general are creating more product at the expense of their old identity.

It’s a bit like what happens when larger companies buy out reputable brands and try to exploit it.

binners

I think the point is that Truvativ Firex cranks work very well. I had them on my singlespeed years ago. They were also very cheap. Does anyone know the price on the Thomsons? XT price? XTR? I’m guessing they’ll be ever-so-slightly more than the £30 I paid for the Firex, anyway. While looking pretty much identical

MussEd
    Free Member

Not been this disappointed since Star Wars episode 1 The Phantom Menace came out…

Jamie
    Free Member

So what you’re saying, is that these aren’t the cranks you’re looking for?

RickDraper
    Free Member

I looked here thinking Thomson will blow that Hope chainset out of the water. Sadly thats proven to be totally wrong.

Clobber
    Free Member

Genuine 😆 @ Jamie…!

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve got a bad feeling about this…

andyl
    Free Member

are Thomson entering the BSO component market?

Jamie
    Free Member

For a minute, I thought the bike shown on that bikerumour link had a Charge saddle.

Then I realised, that’s no spoon.

*drops mic and stage-dives into crowd*

DezB
    Free Member

People won’t care what they look like.
    As long as they have

on em
    money will be spent

theflatboy
    Free Member

TooTall – Member

I thought Thomson were liked because their stuff just worked? My black Thomson seatpost and black Thomson stem are just black with their logo. They do a good job.
    Is there a Thomson range I’ve not seen that is all glitter and hip 80s logos and colours?

Agreed – understated looks and no doubt they’ll be strong and quite light. Sounds good to me.

warpcow
    Free Member

$700 for cranks (incl. chainring, BB and bash), cog, lockring and “transparent arcylic cassette spacers”. Bargain!

andyl
    Free Member

horrid

DezB
    Free Member

^^ 1995 called, it wants its stem back

BillOddie

They do look a bit dull but no doubt they’ll last and work nicely.

theflatboy
    Free Member

But yep agreed, that bike’s no looker…

tonyd

I think they look OK, and if they’re built the same as other Thomson products should last very well.

Forgive the cheesy catchphrase but I’d say they’re a little more ‘timeless’ than those vulgar Hopes yesterday. Almost Middleburn-esque. I like.

Edit: I wouldn’t buy them though.

honourablegeorge

Personally think that layback seatpost is a massive improvement on the previous one with the bend in the shaft

njee20
    Free Member

I’m guessing they’ll be ever-so-slightly more than the £30 I paid for the Firex, anyway. While looking pretty much identical

To be fair there’s a lot more to cranks thank looks. You could make a Firex out of carbon at 1/4 the weight. It would look the same, wouldn’t make it the same crank…

But I’d not buy them.

And that bike is utterly gopping. Headset spacers are the biggest crime.

Deveron53
    Free Member

They will have to be much lighter, cheaper and prettier than Shimano cranks. I have old SLX and I want M980s. These Thomsons are a bit ‘Volvo’.

andyl
    Free Member

Maybe we are being too harsh without seeing the specs and them in the flesh?

Helicoil pedal inserts = good

common chainring fitting = good

black and simple design so less to go wrong?

njee20
    Free Member

They will have to be much lighter, cheaper and prettier than Shimano cranks

They’ve already failed on number three, given Thomson’s pedigree I can’t see them succeeding on number 1, so that leaves number 2, and I expect at least XT, if not XTR money. So… not looking good.

RustyMac

I’m in the expected more camp. These seem to be a little behind the times as well as looking nasty in that pic.

With the likes of RaceFace coming out with their beautifully machined turbine cranks, or lovely carbon sixc that both have the cinch system. A system that gives all sorts of chain ring options or for a single chain ring that mounts without bolts direct to the crank arm / axle reducing the number of parts that could go wrong. These seem a little lacking in the technology stakes or the it’ll just work stakes.

The new Hope cranks are similar in design with remove stuff that could go wrong philosophy but IMHO are not as pretty as the RF stuff.

honourablegeorge

Rusty Mac – Member

The new Hope cranks are similar in design with remove stuff that could go wrong philosophy but IMHO are not as pretty as the RF stuff.

Rather be stuck with Hope’s funny new BBs than RaceFace’s though

RustyMac

honourablegeorge-
    Rather be stuck with Hope’s funny new BBs than RaceFace’s though

Can’t disagree with you there though interestingly the BB’s are sold separately for the RaceFace cranks and both the RF and Hope cranks use a 30mm spindle.

Unfortunately for me I don’t think there is a bottom bracket compatible with BB92 and a 30mm spindle diameter. My current hope BB is near brand new and i don’t have a spare £200 for some shiny new cranks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Thomson cranks’ is closed to new replies.