Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Thomson bolt siezed in stem
  • jonundercover
    Free Member

Hi,

I had a bolt seized in my Stem and had no choice but to hacksaw the bolt to remove the stem. Is there a way to remove the bit of bolt that was left in the stem? I dont want to chuck it away!

rosscopeco
    Free Member

If you have some good quality drill bits, start by drilling through the remaining bolt with a 1mm drill and then progressively use bigger drills. With the ‘inside’ of the bolt removed, if you are careful, you may be able to ‘collapse’ the remaining threaded bit that’s left of the bolt without damaging the threads on the stem.

Good luck and may the force be with you.

kayak23

Most bolts are hardened and very hard to drill. If you can, a thread extractor is best. Pop into an engineering place and they’ll do it I’m sure.

jonundercover
    Free Member

Cheers, I tried drilling the bolt out and the bit basically melted! I guess its a hardened bolt. I think I may visit an engineering place.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Faceplate or steerer?

The bolt stub will not be under tension so only held in with light friction.

Sometimes all you need is a bit of purchase on the exposed end to wind it out. I’ve had success with blu tac or superglue something on or even just light pressure with a flat blade screwdriver. Worth a play before splashing out.

johnhe

I’m not an engineeing wiz, so feel free to take this advice with a pinch of salt. I would try soaking the part in some kind of WD40 type stuff. Then i would try to cut some kind of small straight line into the head of the bolt (or what’s left) and then use a flat bladed screwdriver to unscrew the bolt.

greeble
    Free Member
    wwaswas

problem I’ve always had even using a bench drill is that smaller drill bits tend to deflect under load if the broken bit of bolt is at all convex so you can’t drill straight down the middle.

richmtb

Smallest bolt extractor you can find is probably the best bet.

Drill a small pilot hole in what’s left of the bolt and wind in the reverse thread bolt extractor. As you tighten it will pull the bolt out.

Alternatively if there is any of the bolt standing proud of the stem the hacksaw a slot in it and unscrew with a screwdriver

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

new style M3 Thomson bolt by any chance….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Thomson bolt siezed in stem’ is closed to new replies.