• This topic has 42 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by RV.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Thompson Elite Dropper hydraulic seatpost
  • RV
    Free Member

Just got one of these but noticed that the remote cable supplied is a little short for wide bars. Is it just my strange way of running cable or had anyone else had this problem. Supplying a bit more cable is not much to ask is it. Back to the shop.

scotroutes

Details would help?

RV
    Free Member

Easton carbon havoc 150’s, Thomson 80mm stem and a medium SB66….

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s are very narrow bars.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Still not that clear…no mention of where you are running the cable etc.

However, I imagine that if it was along the top tube then yes the cable does seem a bit short.

stevied
    Free Member

Be very interested to hear how you get on with it. I’m thinking of getting a dropper and the Thompson up on my list..

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think everyone will be interested in hearing about this.

RV
    Free Member

Sorry the bars are 750’s. There is a spare cable routing lugs on the underside of the top tube which I was going to use but I’m short about 5 inches of cable.
    I’ve done about 5 rides on one without the remote and stands up very well to the competition. Still has no play and feels good straight from the box. It’s fairly light and looks great on a black frame with gold Kashima fox forks and shock.

stevied
    Free Member

Did yours come with just the remote or did the under-saddle lever come with it? I saw that Thompson were going to be supplying both but it now seems like it’s remote in the box, under-saddle lever extra 👿

RV
    Free Member

Under seat lever is not yet available yet, even the posts are in short supply with crappy margins. the lever when available is going to be £40.

stevied
    Free Member

Has the design of the remote changed since the demo ones were around? That one looked a bit ‘sharp’..

chives
    Free Member

Slightly off-topic;

I emailed Thomson the other day asking when their fabled 27.2mm diameter dropper would be out.

“It’s looking like the fall” was the response I got back.

RV
    Free Member

So I’ve finally got round to fitting up the remote once I’d got hold of some more cable inner and outer. It all fits up very well, though the cable retaining grub screw is very small and fiddly (also a nightmare to find if you drop it. I am going to play around a little with the positioning of the lever which does look sharp and which I’d like to get out the way so that it’s unlikely to take an impact if the bike and I part ways. Took it out for a spin last night in the rain and mud and all working well. The movement is super smooth and works really well. I really think that this will up the bench mark for dropper posts.

thepurist

I really think that this will up the bench mark for dropper posts

Why? It still has a flappy bit of cable, a slightly vulnerable looking actuator mechanism, a less than ideal lever on the bars and to top it all is supplied with a cable that’s too short. Oh and it’s about the most expensive out there.

They claim to have put a lot into the innards, but only time will tell how they actually compare in use.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nice to see a dropper that has a nice elegant saddlt clamping arrangement too.

FuzzyWuzzy

I don’t fancy your chances of the remote cable staying gunk-free in that position, at least one the KS Lev you can have it on the front of the post

bland

Have you thought about putting one of the shimano rubber covers on the cable to stop the gunk flowing down the cable under the seat where the cable exits?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Not what i’d call a UK-friendly design. 😯

phatstanley
    Free Member

saw this on the leisurelakes site:

5 inches/125mm of infinite travel.

que?

patriotpro
    Free Member

ph – It will mean infinitely adjustable rather than pre-set heights.

RV
    Free Member

As soon as the under seat lever is available I’ll be fitting that to be fair as I’m not keen on the extra cable anyway. There is a stealth internal cable version in design at the moment but your bike had got to be accepting of it.

andyl
    Free Member

is the lever not too bar inboard to reach with your hand on the grip? I’ve got my reverb remove on the underside right next to the grips so it’s in the perfect position for adjusting on the fly.

phatstanley
    Free Member

pp- hmmm. ta fer that.
    at three hundred squid however, i’ll never get to use one anyway…so moot point.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

ph – It will mean infinitely adjustable rather than pre-set heights.

Oh, rubbish.

I had visions of pressing the remote and seeing the saddle disappear up into the clouds Jack-in-the-beanstalk fashion 🙂

Why does it have a travel indicator O-Ring?

patriotpro
    Free Member

I had visions of pressing the remote and seeing the saddle disappear up into the clouds Jack-in-the-beanstalk fashion

Go-go gadget seatpost!

No idea why it has an O-ring??

andysandes
    Free Member

‘I really think that this will up the bench mark for dropper posts’

I’d argue its the reverb. Why would you want a cable when you can have a great feeling hydraulic button. I think they are miles ahead especially if you have a stealth one.

There is so much exposed cable begging to get covered in mud and then inside the outer cable it goes.

Northwind

andysandes – Member

Why would you want a cable when you can have a great feeling hydraulic button

Because cables are simpler, easier to work with, easier to get spares for or bypass. Hydraulic is nice when it’s working but I broke the lever on my KS in a crash in the alps, I just removed the cable entirely and operated it manually at the post end but if I’d wanted to fix it, I could have got every part required from any bike shop in the world for a couple of quid. Good luck with either of those with a reverb.

I saw a chap at glencoe who knocked the hose off his Reverb on the chairlift, then discovered he couldn’t drop the seatpost at all. That’s not really ideal there.

DezB
    Free Member

Agree with most of the above. Even if they come out with a 27.2 to fit my frame I wouldn’t want one with a bit of cable stuck out there. Not only because of the filth, but it looks rubbish!

[edit]although good points by northwind above 🙂

Gee76
    Free Member

How light is it exactly… is this where it makes inroads into the opposition?

Junkyard
    Free Member

hydraulics are plusher but at a faffage cost when it goes wrong
    Not read a thread from Gravity droppers about broken levers

You lot will be wanting pneumatic gears next as the end of that cable gets a bit muddy as well

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You lot will be wanting pneumatic gears next

Shimano Airlines, anyone? Yes, please!

Or, what about this little beauty?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Pinkbike-First-Look-Acros-AEG-11-MT-Hydraulic-Shifting.html

justatheory
    Free Member

It’s a good looker but the KS Lev still looks like the dropper to beat for me.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I saw a chap at glencoe who knocked the hose off his Reverb on the chairlift, then discovered he couldn’t drop the seatpost at all. That’s not really ideal there.

Could he not have just bled out all the fluid?

tpbiker
    Free Member

really struggle to see why anyone would buy a dropper post thats not been tested in the real world for an extended period of time, for twice the price of a Reverb.

Sure it looks great, and its made by thompson, but they’re not exactly proven when it comes to making this kind of thing. Likewise don’t they all feel super smooth on the first few rides? (other than the gravity droppers, which ironically are the only ones that seem to last forever).

Interested to see feedback in 12 months, because it is a nice looking piece of kit.

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’s a nice looking thing and it’ll be interesting to see how it holds up long term.

I’ve got a Reverb and have been really pleased with it so far but do worry about the cost of replacing the hose which seems totally OTT compared to what I paid for it. I’m just glad I didn’t cut the hose when I installed it on my SX or the switch to my Banshee frame would have cost a whole lot more.

b45her
    Free Member

4 years ago it may have been a contender, now its just a bit of bling for brand whores, cable = problems.

Northwind

patriotpro – Member

Could he not have just bled out all the fluid?

The fluid had done a good job of bleeding out itself, what with the rather fragile hose breaking off 😉 It was stuck at full height. I think he found a bodge for it eventually.

DezB
    Free Member

bling for brand whores

How can you say such a thing? About Thomson??! 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

its an apple mac in a PC world

thepurist

Surely its a Mac Pro, Junkyard. It’s round, expensive, spec looks similar to other offerings but those that buy it will love it… until they bring the new model out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Thompson Elite Dropper hydraulic seatpost’ is closed to new replies.