Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Thompson Dropper post review
  • beaker

I saw this interesting review of the new Thopmson dropper post. They seem pretty impressed. Not sure about the actual mechanism location though. That said more choice can only be a good thing.

Link

old_mtber
    Free Member

That looks good!

thepurist

Will be interesting to see how the exposed cam mechanism copes with being caked in mud & crap during a typical summers ride. Part of me says that mechs have been dealing with worse for years, but I’m not sold on that layout.

Klunk
    Free Member

nice that there’s a 27.2mm version in the pipeline.

retro83
    Free Member

Sounds great but the exposed mechanism looks a bit vulnerable to mud. Also the lever looks like it could use a reshape:

Stevelol
    Free Member

The ks i950/drop zone has shown us that an under seat lever doesnt work in UK conditions, mine is always gunked up and requires maintenance.

cazum
    Free Member

I have no problems with my ksi900… but I always clean the bike Inc that area and lube it. If you don’t look after it am sure it would be crap

scruff
    Free Member

Lever looks like a puncture wound waiting to happen.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Price I reckon £350.00 shall we have a sweep?

zbonty

That lever does look like a good knee cap gouger.

atlaz
    Free Member

Has it? I got two winters out of my Joplin (I know, a CB that didn’t explode killing everyone in a 200m radius) without any problems before switching to a remote recently.

butterbean
    Free Member

Lever design fail, just like the KS. Why can’t they engineer it to have a cam pulling the cable sideways with adjustable angles.

convert

Any new design that comes out now and doesn’t have a static cable entry point is a design fail imo.

honourablegeorge

Odd that neither they nor Fox looked to keep the mechanism attached to the lower part of the post.

Not sold on theur lever wither, albeit a prototype. Less of a dog’s dinner than the MASSIVE Fox one though.

deluded
    Free Member
    butterbean
    Free Member

Thompson stated it caused reliability issues, and is the majority of people rant actually that fussed by the cable entry point.

Having used one with a fixed cable point (when it actually worked) and another without, I’d agree. It would be nice, but its hardly a deal breaker…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Did anyone actually read the bit where it states the lever / cable design isn’t finalised yet?

thepurist

CRC will be flogging them for £329.

So almost 2 German Reverbs. That’s one to use and a spare if that needs to go back, or an unproven Thomson that’s probably no different in use to a fully working Reverb. I know what I’d do…

buy a Lev 😉

honourablegeorge

bigyinn – Member

Did anyone actually read the bit where it states the lever / cable design isn’t finalised yet?

Yes. When they said the lever and cable werten’t finalised, they meant the lever and cable. Not the post, or where the cable attaches to it, or the internals. They meant the lever, and the cable.

joolsburger
    Free Member

That used to be the price of some decent forks, when did everything get so expensive.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

That used to be the price of some decent forks, when did everything get so expensive.

When bike companies employed marketing guru’s for all this gear.

Trimix
    Free Member

Why is it that bike designers (particularly US ones) dont seem to ride in the mud then. Just how many US designed products fail when it comes to mud never ceases to amaze me.

I did read that a lot of US riders dont actually ride in the mud as the trails they are legally allowed to use are often shut in poor weather. Unlike us Brits who live in the mud.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

CRC will be flogging them for £329.

Which is £104 more than a Reverb from BikeScene in Guisborough.

Trimix
    Free Member

People will buy them because they are called Thompson.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The price will drop like it did on the reverb after a few months, They’d be daft to start at such a low price.

AlexSimon

It will be an interesting one to follow this. Their reputation is almost perfect. Perhaps no longer at the cutting edge, but a default choice for many.
    But there are very few moving parts in any Thomson product.
    I hope they haven’t underestimated the harsh conditions these will be subjected to.

Anybody know how the new bars are being received?

Gotama
    Free Member

2 year warranty on the Thompson as well which is a plus. Also aren’t all the cheap reverbs 100mm drop?

Trimix
    Free Member

Reputation – what, for making stemps and seatpost. Yes, they are nice and good (Ive got one of each). But that wont mean they can make a dropper post.

Lots of others have failed and the Reverb which is the best so far is not always perfect and they make suspension forks.

I reckon it currently the hardest component to get right. Thompson dont have any experience in this.

Northwind

It might be great- only thing that sounded alarm bells is that they finally sent 2 out for wet weather testing, after the design was finalised. Bit overconfident that…

On the one hand, Thomson have a good rep and they’ll not want to risk it. On the other, Rockshox have demonstrated that if you’ve already got a good rep, you can get away with using your first buyers as paying beta testers and nobody will bat an eyelid.

Stevelol – Member

The ks i950/drop zone has shown us that an under seat lever doesnt work in UK conditions, mine is always gunked up and requires maintenance.

i950’s cable entry is in the wrong place but that’s a specific problem for that model, not for the “top cable” design in general. FWIW the post seems perfectly happy turned back to front, so the cable is out of the spray.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thomson has never been cutting edge. Its never been the lightest either. But generally their stuff is good solid RELIABLE equipment.
    I hope their droppers continue in this vein.

jambon
    Free Member

Love my LEV.

6 inch drop and tidy cable routing. Oh, and it works as advertised.

£100 less.

Why on earth would anyone buy a Thomson?

Trimix
    Free Member

Yes, there are lots of cable operated ones, so its hard to justify any big price difference. Unless its a Crank Bros one, then you should charge peanuts 🙂

richmtb

Looks nice but how is it betterer than a Reverb?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

What you have to also remember is that it isn’t solely a Thomson product. They out sourced the internals so they could concentrate on the externals.

Can’t remember who but a suspension manufacturer I think has made the internals.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cos they’ll be doing a 27.2.

LoCo
    Free Member

Cos they’ll be doing a 27.2.

and

They have a UK service and warranty centre

grum
    Free Member

Also aren’t all the cheap reverbs 100mm drop?

Mine was 125mm and £130 new. 8)

This looks nice but £330 for a seatpost really is taking the piss.

LoCo
    Free Member

Quite fancy one for the Albert classic (27.2″) Can supply them too if anyone wants one 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Simon, any word on when they will be releasing a 27.2?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Thompson Dropper post review’ is closed to new replies.