Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • This whole SPOILER thing…
  • Smee
    Free Member

…basically it's b******s. If you dont want to know what happened dont come onto cycling site.

Houns

Agreed

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes and no.

During the day, many of us look forward to watching the highlights without knowing the result. Hard to watch the Tour at work!

But, the Jens Voigt one isn't really a spoiler, I would agree.

Oh, and it's a mountain bike forum. I avoid Cyclingnews, Pez and the like when I want to savour the racing on the highlights, but here, Pinkbike, NSMB and Bikemagic should all be OK for veiwing without Tour results, IMO.

rs
    Free Member

agreed

Smee
    Free Member

Is this really a mountain bike forum? It seems like a collection of the weird and wonderful of the cycling world to me. Do you also avoid the front page of the BBC website? The winner of the stage makes it onto that every day.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Call me sad, but yes I do. When I want to watch the highlights like that, I avoid hearing about it.

Smee
    Free Member

So you avoid a national news website, but dont avoid a cycling website that you know will give the result away. I can see the logic in that – actually no, I can't. Unless you are addicted to the internet.

PJ266
    Free Member

Doesnt take much effort to type spoiler does it? see i just did it.

Smee
    Free Member

Why should we have to stifle open discussion though?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(mr MC posting) yes smee some of us avoid hearing the news and sport before watching the highlights, but visit this site for other news/information/discussion.

Im sat at home with a broken leg and listen predominantly to 5 Live but still manage to avoid the results, and tuning into STW daily helps keep me enthused excited and motiviated about the cycling world whilst I take an enforced 2 months off. Obviously by your rules I shouldnt be able to take advantage of this for 3 weeks?

Why should I, we have to avoid a cycling site, when the answer is as simple as not putting specific details in the title of a TdF thread?!

I agree its not soley an MTB site which is a good thing, it celebrates the variety of the cycling world (speaking as someone who doesnt own a road bike, or a single speeder, or a 29er and has enjoyed the exposure to other areas).

Fingers crossed for Jens Voight, and a "clean" MRI.

PJ266
    Free Member

Its not "stifled" in any way!! its no different to when news reporters tell you to look away now if you dont want to know footy results, this is a complete non-issue. Troll.

djglover
    Free Member

I agree with Smee, if you don't want to know, don't visit the site! Now go on SHOO.

Smee
    Free Member

See my previous question.

If you're sat at home with a broken leg – would that not be a good excuse to watch the tour. Eurosport player is cheap and good.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Takes no effort to add "spoiler" and keeps people happy. Why complain about it?

Smee
    Free Member

How is it not stifled? You are not wanting people to put the subject in the heading. Take the Voight thread for example – how many people know that he came off and broke himself?

How is it a troll? It is easy to see that there are a number of people agree with me.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

psa. Highlight show just starting on eurosport. 😀

colnagokid

Mr MC speaks sense, it s not just TDeF, you get F1, motoGP, golf, cricket, footy, rugby etc. etc. that people on here might like to chat about as its occuring. So whats the problem? spoiler stops your fun being spoilt if you want to hold off knowing the outcome.
    Be a bit boring if all we did was talk about tyres, the yoof, bar width etc.

Smee
    Free Member

Be a bit less boring if we weren't being bushwacked into hiding it behind spoiler.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

The funny thing is some tosser on Friday will post a thread about the timetrial announcing the result….

So i will avoid the whole forum until i get the chance to see the highlights which will be at 10 O'clock. shame i was planning on doing lots of online shopping friday. no clicky links from stw then…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Has the zoo just closed?

PJ266
    Free Member

😀 The discussion is not stifled, the title is. Stop being spoil sports!!!

WackoAK
    Free Member

Be a bit less boring if we weren't being bushwacked into hiding it behind spoiler.

It's hardly a big hassle is it??

Smee
    Free Member

It is for some.

Lanesra
    Free Member

I think all thread titles should just be "spolier" – would shut the winging tarts up for a start

rs
    Free Member

From my point of view as long as the title says TDF (or other sports event) you shouldn't have to put spoiler, its obvious what the thread is about, don't go there if you don't want to. Some fanny will always click and get upset cause it didn't say spoiler though!

PJ266
    Free Member

winging tarts

Like smee??

😉

I think people were complaining about people putting spoilers actually in the title?

WackoAK
    Free Member

rs – it's putting info in the title that can be the problem.

glenp
    Free Member

So some people are so lazy they can't type seven characters, but they can type several hundred to winge about being asked to.

aracer
    Free Member

It is for some.

The mentally impaired like zoo fighter maybe.

The thing is, ISTM the people whinging about having to put spoiler are actually the people who don't care very much about the race.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

All good and well for Mr MC to watch the tour but we don't have Eurosport now stop fe**ing whinging and just do it!

ton

if it says S P O I L E R……………….dont read the **** post……………………………………….. 8)

jimmy

don't get much more simple than that, ton. and coffeeking.

not really a lot more to it unless you're spoil(er)ing for a fight.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The Zoo Fighter doesn't type spoiler because he knew the result before it happened anyway, didn't you? 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

not giving the game away is so easy to do, you just resist the temptation to put CAV WINS! in the thread title. that way anyone can look at the threads about what £1k hardtail etc and still be able to watch the highlights program later in the day.
    the only reason to give away the result (be it TDF, downhill/xc worlds, wimbledon etc) is because you don't like the sport in particular and are a bit of a **** who likes to spoil it for others because you can and you are unlikely to get banned for it.
    either that or you are really thick.

finbar
    Free Member

because you don't like the sport in particular and are a bit of a **** who likes to spoil it for others because you can and you are unlikely to get banned for it.
    either that or you are really thick.

Exactly. If you actually enjoyed watching it yourself then you'd appreciate that it ruins it to know what happens beforehand.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A reasonable body of forum users just want spoiler threads to be entitled "SPOILER" and not reveal why.

Seems like a reasonable request to me – does not stiflee discussion in any way, merely requires a little thought and consideration for others.

But of course it is too much for some.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – you can access to the eurosport player, which streams their coverage on your pooter. Costs £3.99 a month. That's what we've done this year, and it gets you instant access. Mr MC could watch this afternoon's stage! 🙂

daveb
    Free Member

Whats wrong Smee – bored?

This did make me laugh though 😆

Just type spoiler so everyone can get there Singletrack fix without finding out results(or even copy and paste it from this if you cant be bothered typing it) 😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Smee, it hardly stifles debate, or people realising what specific topic is being discussed, just dont put the "result" in the title. the "Jens voight how did it do it" didnt spoil anything, he could have crashed, won a stage, bagged the polka dot jersey etc etc.

You can still highlight "Cav" "Wiggins" "Lance" "The battle for the green jersey" and those that want to will know what youre talking about, those that want to avoid it can do without the crux being ruined by writing say "Wiggins wins".

Hmmm, cheap sky access you say…..

Dougal
    Free Member

Exactly. If you actually enjoyed watching it yourself then you'd appreciate that it ruins it to know what happens beforehand.

No, what happens is that I avoid this forum until I see the highlights in the evening. What a bunch of whingers.

Maybe to stifle this discussion, I'll be posting regular updates from the tour today in this thread. Spoiler in the title, you have been warned.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘This whole SPOILER thing…’ is closed to new replies.