Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • This wheel size thing – no more XL Specialized Enduro in 26"?
  • ddmonkey

Seems to me that Specialized have decided that anyone who needs an XL size frame can only ride a 29’er – they are not making the 26″ Enduro in XL anymore. I don’t know why but this is really annoying me. I am all for choice of wheel size, I think its all good, but not if it means that I’m not going to be able to get the bike I want with 26″ wheels in the size I think fits me in the future. Has anyone else spotted any evidence of this sort of thing going on? Does anyone know of any unused XL Carbon Enduro frames sitting around from 2011 or 2012?

scotroutes

Other brands are available 😉

JCL
    Free Member

If you’re after an XL you’d need you head testing to not go for the 29″. I’d go with the Evo Stumpy 29″ if I were you.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Why would he need his head testing? Not everyone likes how 29″ wheels feel, regardless of how tall they are.

ddmonkey

Yes I know other brands are available, few of them make a bike with the Geo of an XL spec Enduro. I already own one which fits me like a glove and the only reason I noticed was because I was absent mindedly oggling the latest Carbon version, so it is no skin off my nose at the moment. I am 6’1″ so I am not that huge.

My point was about choice, and wondering if the marketing directions and costs involved in making so many iterations of bikes for differnt wheel sizes is going to end up restricting choice rather than adding to it.

ddmonkey

And yes I have had a quick car park test on a 29’er – I didn’t like it but it wasn’t much of a test. I found the slower pick up due to the wagon wheels quite noticable. I like bikes that feel lively and jumpy, 29’er seems to kill it for me. Might be tempted by 650b though I’ve not tried one yet though and my current bike is fine for now.

Drac

And yes I have had a quick car park test on a 29’er – I didn’t like it but it wasn’t much of a test. I found the slower pick up due to the wagon wheels quite noticable

You got all that from riding in a car park.

Perhaps Specialized are aiming their Enduro model at people who ride enduros, not people who do one lap of a car park, and have found that 29″ wheels are best suited for that purpose.

rOcKeTdOg

And yes I have had a quick car park test on a 29’er – I didn’t like it but it wasn’t much of a test. I found the slower pick up due to the wagon wheels quite noticable

have you thought about testing for magazines? with that sort of in depth testing you’d go far*

*or maybe just around a car park

Wookster

Bike scene and certini usually have Spesh frames mate.

orangeboy
    Free Member

All nice and friendly tonigh lol

Guessing finding a xl test bike of any sort can be a pain.

ddmonkey

Any thoughts on my topic Drac or Rocketdog? Or do you just want to pick holes and feel clever? I said it wasn’t much of a test, and yes it was noticable. Clearly you know what I feel and like better than me.

ddmonkey

Cheers Wookster – I got my current frame from BikeScene actually, good service.

JCL
    Free Member

Why would he need his head testing? Not everyone likes how 29″ wheels feel, regardless of how tall they are.

Stop thinking about the wheels. The geo of the 29″ is what a tall guy needs. Think about the triangulation of the CoG and how longer (30mm on the Stumpy) chainstays and front centre (wheelbase). Add the lower BB drop/roll centre and the rear suspension isn’t as taxed.

The taller you are the more the 29″ thing becomes a no brainer. I’m sure after a couple of rides the OP would be convinced.

orangeboy
    Free Member

It may just be they did not sell enough xl to warrant making them any longer ,

ddmonkey

I think you may have a point orangeboy, that coupled with the fact that a 29’er can be percieved as filling part of the gap the XL 26’er leave behind. But that was kind of my point, are 29’ers going to be the death of 26″ wheeled bikes to fit tall people?

jamj1974

Any thoughts on my topic Drac or Rocketdog? Or do you just want to pick holes and feel clever?

Quite evidently the latter not the former… Perhaps if you moderate Drac you should be setting an example rather than putting a normal member down? It’s not exactly a level playing field.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Tbh i think if Spesh get there way 29er will be the death of good 26 wheeled bikes regardless of how tall you are,
    New sworks enduro is 29 for 2014 as reviewed by pink bike
    Can’t get a camber in 26 in the uk
    Or a stumpy ht

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Quite evidently the latter not the former… Perhaps if you moderate Drac you should be setting an example rather than putting a normal member down? It’s not exactly a level playing field.

TBF His “bike test” was a lap of a car park and there is nothing wrong with a bit of mickey taking.

jamj1974

I can read Singlespeed Shep! 😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

But that was kind of my point, are 29’ers going to be the death of 26″ wheeled bikes to fit tall people?

More than likely, you can blame marketing all you want but people are buying them,

As soon as a demo comes near i’m going to have a proper go on one. Can’t wait.

stim
    Free Member

It may just be they did not sell enough xl to warrant making them any longer ,

This.
    Unfortunately for tall people like me, the number of XL sizes that are sold is very minimal so it is hard for Specialized to justify producing an XL size for a model that they are probably predicting will see a big hit on sales numbers with the introduction of the new 29er version.

jamj1974

TBF His “bike test” was a lap of a car park

The OP already admitted it wasn’t much of a test though hadn’t he. If the average rider can’t distinguish between the two wheel sizes in more than a few metres I would be very surprised. I can usually tell quickly whether I like a bike or not – differentiating between two very similarly performing bikes is obviously much harder.

There is also a difference between mickey taking and the often present annoyingly superior attitude that was taken earlier and too often on here…

ddmonkey

I was actually quite surprised by how noticable the difference was. I don’t think it was the best 29’er bike in the world and the wheels were pretty heavy, which would explain the feel so it wasn’t just down the wheel size I’m sure.

I’m not automatically against bigger wheels, I’m quite interested in trying different bikes and would be keen to test a 29’er and 650b bike properly. I only ride bikes for fun, so a bike I find fun is all I am looking for.

jamj1974

I only ride bikes for fun

The best reason!

Drac

Any thoughts on my topic Drac or Rocketdog?

Thoughts first riding around a car park isn’t going to demonstrate anything apart maybe sizing. Having ridden a couple now the last being the Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc I found them very nice to ride, it performed very well on the climbs and was lovely felt in good control on the descents. Took it down some rocky stuff and the bigger wheel did allow it to roll better, yes I know, but did feel nicer. Seemed to pick up quick enough for me can’t say it was slower. I rode it around the Dales I’d ridden my Heckler a couple hours before on the same trail and the preferred the Tallboy LTc of course weighing a hell of a lot more less would help.

As for the sizing thing. I had this discussion last week with a friend and we both believe the same thing, at some point that frames will take 26″, 29″ and even maybe 650b allowing the frame to be a mixed size and easily tweaked to suit.

Perhaps if you moderate Drac you should be setting an example rather than putting a normal member down?

Fair enough it was a flippant comment but it was in response to what was a silly comment.

rOcKeTdOg

Any thoughts on my topic Drac or Rocketdog?

oh, sorry no, I’ve been testing a 650b on the patio, it’s not for me, turning circle is too wide, i knocked over the terracotta pot

jamj1974

oh, sorry no, I’ve been testing a 650b on the patio, it’s not for me, turning circle is too wide, i knocked over the terracotta pot

You see that’s more like it…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m amazed at how sensitive some people are claiming to be in that after a short ‘test ride’ they can since so much of a difference. When I moved to a 29er I noticed no paradigm shift. I suspect some minds are made up even before a leg is cocked over the saddle. Maybe the differences people are feeling are more to do with it simply being a different bike full stop. When moving from one 26er to another the feel of the bike can be very different. Maybe the difference is not due to wheel size?

Drac

Maybe the differences people are feeling are more to do with it simply being a different bike full stop

I did say that when I was riding it too that it may not be wheels but the bike as a whole.

ddmonkey

That’s interesting Drac, I can imagine a frame being able to take 26″ or 650b with interchangeable drop outs, there are some bikes out there already that can do this I think. 29’er as well seems a bit of a push, the geo too specific surely? Head angle would be wrong at one end of the scale or the other.

Wobbliscott it could well have been due to the wheels being heavy, rather than just their size – always noticeable. As I say, I’d like to do a proper test on a better bike…

aracer
    Free Member

If the average rider can’t distinguish between the two wheel sizes in more than a few metres by looking at the bike before riding it I would be very surprised.

If by “I found the slower pick up due to the wagon wheels quite noticable” he means he could tell it accelerated slower than one with smaller wheels, then either the difference is due to the fact he knew the wheels were bigger, or he should hire himself out to research labs as he’s clearly far more sensitive to small changes than the average human.

Northwind

Is it like the Star Wars Christmas Special, and Specialized have sent their lawyers out to crush all existing XL Enduros?

muddyfunster
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it too much op. Hopefully companies will soon see sense and keep 29ers for road bikes and xc. Not a single one near the top in the enduro world series. 650b is the latest distraction and the entire bike industry is getting behind it. With companies as big as Giant getting on board it will catch on. Spesh will eventually give up trying to flog wagon wheels to everyone and realease 650b bikes in their longer travel range.

aracer
    Free Member

Not a single one near the top in the enduro world series.

You’re presumably just looking at the men’s field? TMO (of this parish) won the women’s event on a 29er.

JCL
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it too much op. Hopefully companies will soon see sense and keep 29ers for road bikes and xc. Not a single one near the top in the enduro world series. 650b is the latest distraction and the entire bike industry is getting behind it. With companies as big as Giant getting on board it will catch on. Spesh will eventually give up trying to flog wagon wheels to everyone and realease 650b bikes in their longer travel range.

Lopes and Keene on 120 and 135mm 29″ bikes in 15th and 16th places. Explain to me how they can give away 30mm of travel and still be competitive?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Back to the OP ditch specialized, find somebody who makes the bike you want, there are plenty as good out there you might just have to look a bit harder.

rOcKeTdOg

Not a single one near the top in the enduro world series.

You’re presumably just looking at the men’s field? TMO (of this parish) won the women’s event on a 29er

Flamer pnwned 😆

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Lopes and Keene on 120 and 135mm 29″ bikes in 15th and 16th places. Explain to me how they can give away 30mm of travel and still be competitive?

For people who want to win, 15th & 16th isn’t really competitive.

Wasn’t it you telling us how 29er’s were going to rule the EWS?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Not a singletrakworlder one near the top in the enduro world series.

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘This wheel size thing – no more XL Specialized Enduro in 26"?’ is closed to new replies.