Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • This weeks 'what outdoor wear' question – waterproof trousers
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m after a pair of waterproof walking trousers and would prefer actual trouser trousers rather than over trousers. If I buy over trousers I’ll never stop to put them on so my leg wear will just get wet whilst I carry a pair of trousers in my rucksack.

Had a look at the alpkit parallax ones, but they’re over trousers and don’t have any pockets, plus they have an elasticated waist that I’m not keen on.

I have a pair of north face waterproof salopettes that are fine for winter but too heavy for summer.

I’d like some that look trouser like, jeans like would be great, have some pockets and don’t rustle like a crisp packet when I walk.

Any recommendations?

aP
    Free Member
    PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Just picked up some regatta ones at go outdoors, no idea if they’re any good but they were only £30 and tick all the boxes…

footflaps

Do they make such a thing? Only waterproof trousers are all over trousers (that I’ve seen).

I just wear synthetic walking trousers / shorts and let my legs get wet, unless it’s mid winter and sub zero in which case I will use GTX over trousers. Most of the time I walk in shorts and don’t really care too much if my legs get wet.

househusband

Rab Vapour-Rise pants would tick most of these boxes; they’re immensely comfortable next to the skin and don’t rustle at all. Just had a look at Ultimate Outdoors (from where I’ve bought mine) and they’ve only got the heavier ‘Guide’ version in.

Gary_M
    Free Member

mmm they have those Karl trousers at above & beyond a fair bit cheaper. Do you have a pair aP?

Edit: Not the Hydratic though but the others are water resistant which would probably be okay.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

£160?

*whistles*

I’d just go for some decent, ie non cardboard like, over trousers for £20-30.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d just go for some decent, ie non cardboard like, over trousers for £20-30.

Yeh but I don’t want over trousers as I wouldn’t use them.

maccruiskeen

Paramo Cascada.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Sprayway all day rainpants. Stretchy as well.

aP
    Free Member

No, but I have a pair of Nils which I’m wearing today at work which are pretty comfy. Apparently with the G1000 fabric you can wax treat them to make the fabric more/ or less waterproof.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh just read that, although it does sound a bit odd!

chaos

Pretty sure that Decathlon have something like this.

Forclaz 900?

househusband

Paramo Cascada.

I had them before selling them on to get the Rab Vapour-Rise; I just found the Paramo trousers too hot – and a bit fragile as they weren’t rip-stop.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wear just goretex mountain pants with braces thru the winter, shorts (and to hell with overtrousers) in summer. Never really found an ideal solution for those Autumn/spring periods in between and I’ve also never liked wearing trousers and overtrousers. I have got a pr of overtrousers which have been ok as just trousers, but no pockets and they’re actually not very waterproof now, but seems ok if you’re not covering anything underneath, just keeps the chill off my legs.
    There is stuff out there tho, Google : quick drying trousers pants

km79
    Free Member

The Sprayway ones mentioned above work quite well and do what they say.

benp1

Paramo ones would work pretty well

Unless they’re good, you’re fairly likely to be sweaty and hot inside

Most folks don’t bother with waterproof trousers unless it’s proper rain, a bit of drizzle is rarely worth it.

Good waterproof trousers won’t take you long to put on. Check out something like the Berghaus Deluge with massive zips, I can get them over motorcycle gear

Gary_M
    Free Member

Most folks don’t bother with waterproof trousers unless it’s proper rain, a bit of drizzle is rarely worth it.

Yeh I know, but I’m talking proper rain. I wouldn’t bother if it was light showers. If I go out in the rain I’d rather stick a pair of trousers on that I can just keep on. If it starts raining when I go out I know it’s highly unlikely I’ll stop to put over trousers on.

And I need a new pair of walking trousers anyway so may as well go for something with a bit of water resistance.

spacemonkey

+1 Paramo Cascada

Very waterproof (unless sitting on bum for prolonged period of time).

Side zips for venting.

cb

I just got some north face things from the outlet sale at Cheshire Oaks – Descendit I think they are.

Water repellent and 63 quid – down from an eye watering price. Comfy and stretchy!

Edric64
    Free Member

RAF surplus goretex are about 20 quid

noltae
    Free Member

Paramo Velez – lighter material than the Cascada – I’ve got both – the Velez are also a better cut as they’ve got an articulated crotch area – they don’t seem overly warm either – if you want waterproof I’d say Paramo are the best .. You could try some Neoshell but they’re around £200 ..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘This weeks 'what outdoor wear' question – waterproof trousers’ is closed to new replies.