Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • This weeks poll: hardtail vs full sus
  • the00
    Free Member

I’m surprised that hardtails appear to be equally as popular as full suspension bikes. As a hardtail rider I tend to feel like I’m in a minority when I’m out on the trails.

Do the poll results mirror the mix within your friends and riding buddies?

weeksy

No.

Out of the 5 people i ride with regularly we have 4 FS’s and 1 HT.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’m in the 50/50 camp, admittedly riding the susser a lot right now, but its new, and its dry…

I expected the 50/50 camp to be the winner, its been an interesting poll as its gone on.

nigelb001
    Free Member

I use an FS bike.

I also use a Hardtail.

I also use a rigid fixie.

I use what I want for whatever I want to do. 😀

parkesie
    Free Member

2 hardtails to 3 bouncers soon to be just the one hardtail and 4 full sus.

mrmoofo

I have 3 HT bikes …
    Sold my only FS … but it was an Orange

Being in the “Super Cydesdale and then some” Category getting rear suspension to hold up well is a bit of a PITA

zippykona

Just about to go from 29 ht to 29 fs. Have 26 fs as well.
    My bad knee can’t do hard tails anymore.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Only 1 in 8 of my lot ride hard tails.

chilled76
    Free Member

I enjoy both, full sus for hard peak district rides.. hardtail for most other riding.

NormalMan

I did have both but sold my ht to a mate who offered a good price. Tbh I didn’t use it much after getting the fs, partly due to being injured over winter (when I planned to use the ht more) and partly as my ht weighed 5lb more than the fs!

rocketman
    Free Member

Do the poll results mirror the mix within your friends and riding buddies?

Yup pretty much.

Quite a few folk with decent HTs who are reluctant to swap for a mediocre FS
    A FS is also perceived as being too ‘pro’ 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

I have 4 h/tails & 5 FS’s…well,when they’re all built up & fully functional I have,but at the moment 3/1 to the h/tails…..

Edit:Most the lads I ride with or know have a mixture of bikes as well,so it can be any amount of combo’s being ridden on a ride….

Cheezpleez

One rigid, two HTs, one FS.

The balance has swung back to HTs (and rigid) among the guys I ride with. FS definitely in the minority, apart from when we go on a trip

trickydisco
    Free Member

Been riding 12 years and owned 2 Full suss bikes a superlight and a spesh enduro

Sold the enduro as i found it a bit boring unless i was in the alps. Now have a stanton slackline and love it!

Also own a scandium voodoo hardtail

mindmap3
    Free Member

I have both as do a few guys I ride with although the hard tails seem to used fot mucking about in rather than proper rides although in my case it’s because my hard tail is a teeny BFe.

ska-49
    Free Member

At trail centres I seem to be the only HT rider!

soobalias
    Free Member

50/50 on an average local ride

and about half of the HT riders have a FS for the times when they want it

so that makes 25% HT only, 50% both, 25% FS only

shortcut

Currently on 2 hardtails one geared, one single – both 29ers.

I have been through numerous full sussers and hardtails but just finding a 29er hardtail does the job for me now.

I believe regional differences in the mix will show some significant trends adding wheel size into the mix would be very interesting, as with fork and rear travel.

franki
    Free Member

Around my way, rigid SS or at least SS is very popular with the “old hands”, with many of the SSers also having a full suss for big days away.
    I guess it depends where you ride. If you live in the Lake District instead of the West Midlands, I suspect the ratio of stiff to boing would be somewhat different.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m surprised there are (at least) 6 people on STW without mountain bikes…!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes I have one of each…

ThePinkster

With my riding regulars it’s a 60/40 split with HT’s being the most popular.

I’ve got 3 FS & 2 HT (+1 fully rigid commuter) but only ride the one FS at the moment as I can’t get to grips with the 3×9 set-up on the others any more after riding 2×10 for a couple of years.

Tempted to convert one of the HT’s to 2×10 and get shot of the rest.

Toasty

A FS is also perceived as being too ‘pro’

Curiously I always see it the other way around. If I’m not skillful enough to ride somewhere I’ll full sus it 🙂

I’d say my riding mates are about 50/50, people seem to go through phases of one or the other.

rocketman
    Free Member

SPDs Oakleys and Camelbaks are also on the ‘pro’ list, as is anything Kashima 🙂

nickc

A FS is also perceived as being too ‘pro’

What does this mean?

I have a HT it’s my only bike, I’ve pretty much only ridden HT, never really liked any FS I’ve ridden, and I’ve had some nice ones ( Foes and Nicolai) . I know what’s going on when I’m on a HT.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve two full sussers and a hardtail.

My hardtail is ace – I won’t BS anyone by saying “I never ride my other bikes” because that’s a lie – I have my full sussers for a reason and I hugely enjoy riding them both. My hardtail was originally built out of spare parts as a posh commuter that would cope with some offroading, but it quickly morphed into the perfect all day bike. It climbs beautifully, never feels harsh and gives huge amounts of feedback. That it will happily do the commute in and out of London makes it a very special bike in my eyes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m surprised there are (at least) 6 people on STW without mountain bikes who told the truth…!

FTFY

I suspect a number on here rarely ride tbh and are only here for the crack

As for the bikes what I always say is if I could only have one bike it would be a FS but it also get the least use.

if I leave the county I take my FS if not I ride HT summer and SS hardtail winter

Syaing that will be FS tonight as it is dry and it is working

rocketman
    Free Member

What does this mean?

Locally, it means trying too hard. A 120mm SLX hardtail is usually fine for Cannock

nickc

Ah, ok, I fail the ‘pro’ test with spds, and occasional Oakley ( v old half jackets if that makes it less pro) no camelback though….

Having thought about it though, it’s covered in XtR Easton and Hope, so massive ‘pro’ fail…. I’m shit as well, but at least I look good eh? 😆

rocketman
    Free Member

I’m shit as well, but at least I look good eh?

Come to Cannock you’ll blend in effortlessly with the rest of us 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I suspect a number on here rarely ride tbh and are only here for the crack

And what a lovely crack it is

nickc

Aye, it’s a very “pro” car park on a Sunday isn’t it. 😆

Great spot for riding though

mindmap3
    Free Member

To be honest I ride what I like and don’t get too fussed about looking pro or not. I’ll happily admit to be overbiked too but I’m having fun so who cares? Don’t ride in Oakleys though because in too tight and would be hacked off if they broke.

I love hardtails and can happily get along with having one as my only bike, however I have a bouncy bike because I can.

andytherocketeer

depends what and where you ride.

100% HT now in my usual group. 2 FS riders have recently got a 456 and C456 between them, and that’s what they’ll be riding mostly, and on our next Scotland trip. Five and a Trek are resigned to the garage.

On the trails round here, I’d guess 75% HT, 25% FS, with quite a noticeable number of CX bikes. But there are hills, and they need to be ridden up.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I live in south wales. Most people I ride with ride a 26″ FS, and if they dont they are saving to buy a one.

rucknar
    Free Member

I have 1x hardtail and 1x full suss. Selling them both and converging on a medium travel FS.
    Love the way a hardtail climbs but that gap to FS is steadily narrowing.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Looking too pro?

I look like a fat middle-aged IT-pro. Much like everyone else on a mountainbike.

Keva
    Free Member

I own three hardtails and am in the process of building another. Never owned a FS though I’ve ridden a few. Ride south and south west England, south Wales and Rhayader trails.

Like nickc says.. I know what’s going on when I’m on a HT.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If Dave declares it a Phatride, we bring FS bikes. Otherwise we bring out the HTs

verticalclimber
    Free Member

2 x hardtails here (1 fully rigid)

me too like to know whats going on when on a bike

never quite got the measure of full suss even though my ASR SL only had 90mm rear travel . agree some stuff quicker on full suss but realistically overall reckon they are the same point to point over 20-40 miles

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘This weeks poll: hardtail vs full sus’ is closed to new replies.