Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • This weekend – Brechfa
  • molgrips
    Free Member

That’s just my point, Brechfa doesn’t offer anything really different to Afan. It’s even more manicured and bermed.

No, I think it’s totally different.

So, you like rocky technical stuff? Don’t go to Brechfa (unless you are riding the natural trails). Is it so bad that we have a choice? Personally, I absolutely LOVE Brechfa. The red descent had me whooping for glee involuntarily which I’ve never done before on a bike.. brilliant. My Mrs loved the green to bits, and when we were done I did another lap myself at warp speed and it was just f*cking incredibly good. Was grinning for days afterwards 🙂

I mean I like technical trails and all, but I’ve got loads of those near my house. I don’t have a giant high-speed BMX/MTB orgy track through the woods, which is why I go to Brechfa 🙂

nickegg
    Free Member

Good point regarding accidents. On our last visit a chap had broken his collar bone. He was looking pretty pale!!! That is certainly not a reflection of the trail though. People make mistakes on any trail anywhere.

If you’re not confident to hit a tabletop fast then don’t. Simple as that. i think some of the other purpose built trials in South Wales let you ride with your mind switched off (no bad thing IMO). However, clearing tabletops, doubles etc does require some thought and skills different to those you require for other trails.

At brechfa it is easy to find yourself going faster than you thought as the surface is so smooth. I guess some just get carried away.

grumm
    Free Member

That’s just my point, Brechfa doesn’t offer anything really different to Afan. It’s even more manicured and bermed. You could ride a CX bike on that stuff. I mean how many table tops are there…30?

*IF* they had done some proper tech sections, then they would actually be offering something different to the other southern centres. I feel you get more ‘value’ than blatting down a jump setion that takes 20seconds.

Not that I’ve been to Brechfa, but you seem to have missed the point. For me, trail centres shouldn’t bother trying to mimic natural technical trails – I love the way they are a complete contrast to natural riding. I bet there are tons of bridleways with tech stuff you could go and ride in that area of Wales i that’s what you are after.

I can’t wait to go and try the manicured, man-made, jumpy rubbish personally (maybe I’ll take my CX bike!).

adstick
    Free Member

“a giant high-speed BMX/MTB orgy track”

Nail on the head! Exactly what makes good trail centres so much fun.

MrAgreeable

My take is that it was fun and a bit different. I wouldn’t criticise the designers for building it “wrongly”, unless they can’t ride it either. Some tracks are just hard and although I’ve no doubt that Solamanda is a handy rider it doesn’t mean he should be able to nail everything on a trail after only riding it twice.

The main reservation I had with it is that a lot of the trail is like a BMX track, but you only ride it once, rather than being able to roll up to the top of the start ramp and do it again. Also, places like this and the skills area at Cwm Carn are pretty remote and unforgiving if you do have an accident. So personally, as someone who’s only going to go there a few times a year at most, I don’t feel that I’m likely to progress my skills and I think that negates some of the point of having a purpose built trail.

I also think that trails with big jumps are unfamiliar territory for lots of XC riders. So until there are more intermediate skills areas or jump spots where the lame types like me can muck about and learn how to judge speed and distance and try stuff safely, people who are otherwise quite confident riders will hurt themselves.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘This weekend – Brechfa’ is closed to new replies.