• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • This V That – Your opinions welcomed
  • Euro
    Free Member

Singletrack loves a this V that thread so here’s mine.

Going private and paying for Op to fix yourself V buying and Ebike instead?

THe bike i’m looking (Levo) is around £5k. The Op with scans and travel and lodgings etc will probably be around £10k.

Op has a 97% success rate. Medical issue doesn’t affect my day to day life – I just can’t cycle. What would you do???

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

OP without a shadow of a doubt.

What’s the problem anyway?

Euro
    Free Member

They call it Gilmore’s Groin or sports hernia. I only found out a couple of weeks back that what it was. For the past 10 months i was getting scanned/probed for all sorts. Been off the bike since last April but had a little cycle a few weeks back. I only last 15 minutes (the first fairly steep bit) until the pain was too much and had to walk.

qtip

Op. Presumably, the op is a pay once fixed forever scenario, whereas you’ll have to replace the bike eventually. Plus, I’d rather be healthy and not be limited by technology. All supposition though given you don’t say exactly what the issue is.

qtip

Ok, missed the explanation. Definitely op. You may want to do other sports in the future that are also affected.

qtip

Also, is NHS not an option? Perhaps your username suggests it is not.

ton

op to get fixed, then if it don’t work get a ebike.

somafunk

Op definitely – absolutely no question.

Bez

It seems a little like smashing your teeth and then wondering if you should get your teeth fixed or buy a really expensive food blender.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Op

SaxonRider

Op first choice every time.

P-Jay
    Free Member

What’s the barrier to NHS treatment is it not possible or just slow? I needed an Op for my elbow, paid for a private second opinion from a consultant who was an expert on busted elbows, plus scans and x-rays etc, then asked to be switched to his NHS list – waited 3 months for the Op.

If it’s not possible I’d still pick the Op.

Euro
    Free Member

You may want to do other sports in the future that are also affected … is NHS not an option?

I’m 46 and my sporting days are well behind me 😀 Cycling is the only sport i’m interested in really though i still play badminton and it doesn’t bother me that much.

NHS is an option but isn’t. Consultant told me i’d not be getting an OP and would get pain management (not keen on taking pills) but i’ve an appointment to see my GP next week to find out why exactly.

Time and money are the main issues for me. I can’t afford either and don’t know how long it would take to save for the OP (and the time off work). As well as the waiting list and recovery time. I’ve believe i’ve lost any fitness i had (though hard to tell as i can’t cycle long enough to test this). That could be another year not getting out on the bike…and a good few moths to get back out riding with my mates who are pretty fit.

The Ebike is the easy option. It’s cheaper, can happen sooner (if i can get the bike i want – currently none available) but i can’t help it’s cheating a bit. And that’s coming from someone who hates climbing.

Edit: sorry for slow replying – trying to fit this in between work. Seems all are suggesting OP. If a can get it on NHS that’ll be my first choice. But i can’t justify spending £10k just so i can ride my bike. Half that gets me a fantastic ebike or a decent motorbike.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘This V That – Your opinions welcomed’ is closed to new replies.