Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 'this the season…. hanging doors.
  • bearnecessities

I’ve enjoyed my break but time has come to start working on the squat again.

For aesthetics, I’d get to get some doors up. One in bedroom and one in bathroom, that will be hinged on the opposing way as is presently (still opening inwards).

Is this a non-starter by yourself with no experience?

If not, any tips? I’m thinking maybe making lots of wedges?!

Ta.

rascal
    Free Member

Hanging doors is the arsehole of all DIY jobs – that is the only ‘advice’ I have 😕

falkirk-mark

Its quite easy if using ‘standard doors’ that are not too heavy just measure twice and cut once. I put hinges on door first then offered the door up to 1 pre drilled pilot hole on top hinge (then screwed in ) ,then marked hole on bottom hinge and screwed in, checked door shut okay and then drilled rest of pilot with hinge in situ then screwed hinges fully.
    Fitted lock/ handle first and then maked for plate/hole on doorframe.

lfcfan
    Free Member

Id recommend a trend hinge jig and router if you can borrow one just done my whole house and once set up is a doddle to use, and get a decent finish

Jamie
    Free Member

That does look handy.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8RZ9VFFrsQ[/video]

Speshpaul

you tube, some good stuff on there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not a non-starter, but it will take you longer than you think. If you can borrow a jig and router, then fair enough, but for two doors I wouldn’t bother.

Lots of instructions on YouTube that should tell you how to do it. Get yourself a set of half-decent chisels (you shouldn’t have to spend too much on these) and keep them for woodwork, don’t start using them for “wrecking”. A good carpenter’s square and keep your pencil sharp.

tinribz
    Free Member

Replaced all ours recently. Using the existing door as a template helps, its amazing how little like 90 degrees door frames are. As above some sharp chisels. And some of those big flat drill bits.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Buy or Make a pivot door lift if your doing it on your own.

Makes it infinately easier.

Also cut the bottom of the door only , much less noticable when your door heights are all different – previous owner cut off both ends and it looked like a dogs dinner and really highlighted the door height differences….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Also, if there is an existing strip of door-jamb, get rid of it and replace when you’ve got the door hanging ok.

matt_outandabout

Get a pro in.

It is a pig of a job to get right, and will bug you daily if you do not get it just right.

trail_rat
    Free Member

” It is a pig of a job to get right, and will bug you daily if you do not get it just right.”

If you can stick up a shelf level you can hang a door. Its not rocket science there is just a proceedure to follow, try and make it up and youll get in a pickle.

As i said pivot lift makes all the difference i found.

bearnecessities

Thanks all.

*sound of shelf falling down*

All doors will be replaced in the house, so tool purchasing not out of the question.

Unfortunately, present doors are so warped they would give Scotty an aneurysm, so using as a template is out of the question.

I have lots of terms to google now thanks, although a professional is sounding preferable, as suspected!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are they going to be softwood* (to be painted)

Or hardwood** (to be oiled)?

*have a go yourself, buy something cheap for your first one (as a learner in case you arse it up)

** maybe get a pro if you have the funds.

bearnecessities

Softwood DD; Selco job more than likely. I do fancy having a go myself, but also am starting to appreciate the benefit of paying a pro to do some jobs!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok, so TradePoint and Selco sell some seriously cheap doors, less than £20 for a basic jobbie IIRC. Maybe buy one of those, for say, a cloakroom or bathroom so that if you make an arse of it 😀 you’ve learned for the rest and if you have to redo it, you haven’t lost too much money and you’ll be sorted for the rest of them. After you’ve done one, you’ll fly through the rest of them. Btw, you’ll need a set of spade bits for your drill/driver to drill the clearance for the latches. It’s a really satisfying job when you get it right btw.

bearnecessities

Thanks DD, that’s motivated me to give it a go. What’s the worst that can happen eh?

trail_rat
    Free Member

the job i will pay someone to do if i ever do it again is replacing door frames……what a horror of a job – the door hanging part was easy.

did 6 frames and doors over a weekend about 8 months ago

today i got round to waxing and oiling as appropriate and fitting the skirtings etc.

still gotta make good the upstairs plasterwork and fit the mouldings etc but downstairs is sorted 😀

batfink
    Free Member

A friend of mine is a joiner – and I helped him out a bit when he was doing-up his place.

When he was doing his doors (all of them) he had 2 gadgets that really seemed to make a difference:

As others have said, a lift/pivot:

which I think are actually sold in screwfix as plasterboad lifters

The other thing was a couple of home-made clamp things that hold the door on it’s edge while you rebate the hinges/lock. Really simple, but seemed to make a massive difference. looked a bit like this:

Tells you how to make one (v-simple) here: linky

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member

I’m thinking maybe making lots of wedges?!

It’s a quick easy solution but I think you’ll find hanging doors on hinges works better long term.

pictonroad

Don’t suppose you’re anywhere near Brighton area? I have five lovely 20s pitch pine 4 panel doors looking for a good home.

bearnecessities

Gutted; I’m Leeds!

project
    Free Member

We fit dors for a job, always measure the door dframe first, every door, tioilets and bathrooms are usually smaller doors,

Take plastic sheet off doors and allow to warm to room temperature, and check for twist before fitting,

on hollow white doors remeber there is a lock block on one side only, for handles to fix to, mark hinge side with tape.

offer door up to frame, and mark gently accross top, ands use power plane with a stanmd to plane door, half way accross and turn over and do same, check with straight edge.
    when height is ok remember some frames slope, place door in frame and plane side, the oak and some veneered pine jobbies have only a thin strip down side, so palnae off both sides, checkk door for size i frame often.

Always carry door on edge,orange griper gloves help with grip, carrying upright, youll smash a lamp or light fitting as well as damaging door frames.

Use dust extraction or a bag, keep fingers clear of extract duct if blocked use a pencil never a finger or screwdriver,

When placing planer down ensure its stopped running or it will rip the carpet etc.

so many tips to do but so little time, get a pro in we need the work.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Take plastic sheet off doors and allow to warm to room temperature, and check for twist before fitting

How long will it take for a door to warm up, will there be time for a cup of tea ?

And how do you put a twist in the door if you find it hasn’t got one ?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘'this the season…. hanging doors.’ is closed to new replies.