Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • This Sunday ride around Rivington/Darwen/Bury
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Meeting at Rivvy bottom barn at 9am and doing three towers (Darwen/Pigeon/Peel)not sure in what order yet.

Quick pace,no hanging around,no cafe stop, expect it to be done in 4 hourish.

All race whippets welcome. 😛 😯 8)

samuri
    Free Member

4 hours there and back or 4 hours there?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

4 hours round trip.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuri
    Free Member

can we set off earlier or go faster?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Not going to set off any earlier (Get up earlier all week for work) but you can set the tempo if you want, im sure my friend and I will hang on. 😉

Had a quick look at your webpage, what was the time you did it in last week?

samuri
    Free Member

A bit less than five hours but that was from my house which is ten miles away from Rivington. I did ride quite quickly though, didn't stop once in between the pike and Peel Tower. I went up to the pike rather than the pigeon tower at Rivington too, unless that's what you mean…. And I presume you're proposing a fast return route rather than just doubling back…

I might be struggling to make it I think, I'm usually needed at home for 'stuff' Sunday afternoons so I tend to set off early and be back before twelve. Plus my mountain bike needs it's brakes sorting before I can ride it again, still waiting for the bleed kit to arrive. I'll keep an eye on this thread and talk to my wife.

binners

I was quite tempted as I'll be in that neck of the woods anyway, but after seeing the words 'fast tempo' I've decided not too. And I doubt you'll be tolerant of my very regular need to stop, smoke fags and take in the scenery, while possibly projectile vomiting from Saturday night over-indulgence 🙂

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Ok samuri, will be at the meeting point so if your there your there 😉

binners you may get binned on the first climb! 😆

yoshimi

Whats the best route? How do you get from Rivgington opver to Bury? Do you have any Memory Map overlays or .GPX files?

I quite fancy doing this myself, but by the sounds of it, it would not be at your pace, more a full day epic for me 😯

I could sort out my own route which I probably will do but any advice regarding best way to tackle it (or not to) would be great.

lowey

Danny… route we took is here, but it starts from my house.

http://www.dave-lowe.fotopic.net/p56089489.html

adt
    Free Member

Reckon we could do that route in 2hrs its only 30 mile

samuri
    Free Member

/plans underpant stealing from washing line at lowey's house.
    what time do you go to bed Dave?

lowey

adt… its 36 miles and saw me off… took us all day with a cafe stop.

Samuri… usually 11pm. You might find my smalls a bit on the big side for you in the tackle dept. 😛

nbt

Binners, I waas thinking exactly the same. Do you know the route? I'll recognise some bits, I've done Rammy to Darwn, but not others as I've not done Darwn to Rivi. And we can do it proper and do the Belmont descent 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I know the darwen to rivvy ride so feel free to email me as I maybe up for this (get back from London late Saturday so not sure)….to be clear this is the bimblers version(nbt /binners) not the killer hardcore version
    No person alive could do that route in 2 hours adn 4 is very impressive and I reckon Kingkong stands a very very good chance perhaps give Mr Sparkle and Terrahawk a shout?

wors

i might turn up for the lardy version if nbt is bringing his blue pig 😀

samuri
    Free Member

It's starting to sound interesting now what with veiled suggestions that it's not possible. 😉

I reckon from the lower Barn, using the fastest route (which may include a fair amount of road from the barn to Peel tower) there and back, the *three* towers is possible in less than three hours by a fast rider. Possibly much less.

Something like. Barn… cane it over to Bolton and thence to Ramsbottom, up the long cobbled road, peel tower. over the top to Entwistle, witton weavers to Darwen moor and the tower (although it may be quicker to roll down into Darwen and then up the crazy road climb). STraight off the front and then road to Belmont. Up the Belmont road climb, georges lane, pike, down through the woods to the barn. BAM!

Cross bike would do the job nicely.

Junkyard
    Free Member

road and cross bike is cheating 😉

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Eating's cheating. 😆

Anyway the ride's still on, going to try and stick mainly off road as most of my time is spent on a road bike anyway, and need a break.

yoshimi

Lowey – looks a piece of pi$$, might try it one night after work 😯
    clockwise or anti-clockwise?

abs6pk7
    Free Member

count me in 😆 sunday 9am at the barn coool……… 😀

abs6pk7
    Free Member

?????????????????? mountain bike or road bikes????????????

GavinB

I would definitely be up for this any other weekend – but am supporting a couple of teams at SITS this weekend. Grrrr. Would be interested also to see the best routes for maximum time off-road, as did the 3 Towers a few weeks ago and found it hard to keep things flowing off road between Rivi and Ramsbottom area.

If you fancy doing it some other weekends (or evenings as I live in Belmont) then drop me a line.

abs6pk7
    Free Member

garvinb…….. am abs i also live in belmont am always up for ride but are you mtb or roadie??????????? drop us a line

lowey

abs6pk7…. do you venture into the Bull on occasion ?

I appear to have a free day on Sunday, but the hardcore pain etched ride with KK's finger does not appeal at all.

Have "fun" all.

nbt

Lowey – fancy a more relaxed pace ride this sunday? Binners was blarting on about calderdale, but we could switch to Belmont for the 3 towers

abs6pk7
    Free Member

lowey…….. am new to area but been a couple of time……. are a you mtb or roadie???????

lowey

MTB… Ask Alan (landlord) about the thursday night bikers 😆

NBT… I have a free day, but think I might drive somewhere new for a change… I'll let you know if I change my mind.

samuri
    Free Member

found it hard to keep things flowing off road between Rivi and Ramsbottom area.

It can be done with virtually no road at all. The only bit I can think of that you have to do on the road is from Entwistle to the start of the path round to peel tower, but that's only a couple of miles and it's a steep climb for the most part.

abs6pk7
    Free Member

lowey………. will ask alan thanx……. samehere mtb hope we get to ride soon……..

Junkyard
    Free Member

Relaxed pace is Lowey (and me) to a tee.
    E-mail me in as well re plans for Sunday Lowey why not local not done a proper Rivvy ride for a while?
    abs6pk7 .. we ride Tues /weds every night thoughout the year up Rivvy feel free to e-mail me. I do know Lowey but only ever ride with him elsewhere for some reason ….Oh yes I can never ride Thursday!

Lowey how far were you thiking of travelling for a ride?

abs6pk7
    Free Member

junkyard…… get route plan off lowey if you still fancy 3tower whatever pace is fine by me……

lowey
    GavinB

Cheers for the info guys. I'm defo a mtb'er, so will get in touch for some future rides.

Have fun this weekend!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Hi chaps, This Sunday will just be a fast tempo ride as the racing season (road) is coming to an end in a month and just need to keep it going for a few more weeks, as I dont have a race this weekend.

Please pm me or include me in your steadier rides in future.

Cheers Jay.

dano
    Free Member

could you share the post code of the meet point??

Junkyard
    Free Member

abs e-mailed you

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Rivington Hall Barn
    Rivington
    Bolton
    Lancashire
    BL6 7SB

This is for the "top" barn the lower barn is 500 m down from this, you can't miss it.

adt
    Free Member

KKF I reckon this ride should be done in 2hrs and anything more is not acceptable .

samuri
    Free Member

I like your style adt but don't believe you. Name the place and time and I'll try to follow you as you knock out a 15mph average offroad over 1500m of climbing in 30 miles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘This Sunday ride around Rivington/Darwen/Bury’ is closed to new replies.