Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Does this sound dodgy?
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Selling my motorbike and put an ad on here, got a reply and the guy wants me to scan all the docs and take pictures of engine and frame numbers, alarm bells are ringing.

He has a username that I have put into the search box at top of page and got no hits

Think I will leave this alone.

nealglover
    Free Member

His alarm bells may be ringing too, hence making sure your bike is legit before buying it.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

All he needs is the vin number/reg/v5 no. for a vehicle check.

I would not scan or photocopy anything.

If the vehicle check comes clean then they can pop round and inspect/test drove/ride.

If they are that worried, tell them to pay the AA/RAC for a full inspection.

Pigface
    Free Member

Appreciate that Neil but wanting scans of v5 MOT cert and pictures of frame and engine numbers is just giving the bikes “passport” away.

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes to the numberplate/vin/V5 no.

Scanning docs they can GTFO.

nealglover
    Free Member

Appreciate that Neil but wanting scans of v5 MOT cert and pictures of frame and engine numbers is just giving the bikes “passport” away.

I would be talking to him and explaining that.

At least that way you don’t lose a potential sale by just saying no.

Cougar

As ever, if you have to ask “is this a scam” then it’s a scam.

You can email me his username and I’ll see if anything jumps out, if that helps? Assuming he even has an account of course, you don’t need one to browse the forum.

hora
    Free Member

Sell to someone else

crankboy
    Free Member

More than needed to check the vehicle is not stolen / on HP would make me think someone plans on creating a new id for a different bike. Either that or the would be buyer is being excessively cautious.

hora
    Free Member

Cant find his given username…

Hmmm hello!

I could advertise a bike with lots of info and pics available…take holding deposits that are…non refundable..

See?

Cougar

Got your email.

Assuming he is who he says he is, he’s had an account for five years. 270 posts, largely on the other two forums.

crazybaboon

Hello it’s me who is interested in buying pigfaces bike.
    After buying a ringed car last year I’ve learnt the hard way about buying used vehicles
    The car passed a hpi check but had a stolen and faked v5 and a fake mot, if I had known that both can be checked on the dvla site I would have saved a lot of money and hassle.
    I’ve after for copies of the v5 and mot to check again what is held online, and pictures of the frame and engine numbers to check against the v5
    I also need the numbers for a hpi check
    I asked for scans of the v5 to check against the list of stolen v5s that are on the dvla site
    I’m probably been a bit over the top, but I like to think I learn from mistakes!
    As I’m around 150 miles from the bike I can’t just pop round for a look!
    I’ve also had a account from before the big crash and subscribed from issue 2!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Damn, my biscuits are finished already…

May as well watch the footie.

crazybaboon

How would other people go about establishing that the bike is legit, without being able to see it or the docs?
    I’ve only bought 2 vehicles privately in the last 10 years, and got well and truly burnt on the last one!

MrsToast
    Free Member

*sadly puts away pitchfork*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Does this sound dodgy?’ is closed to new replies.